Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

I've tried version 0.3 of your driver on a machine with a Foxconn AM2 N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H motherboard. Whilst all versions of your driver find the NICs and work out the MAC addresses, none of them manage to bring the link up.

This is with PCI id 0x10de:0x0373.

With the latest (0.3) driver, soon after it's identified the MAC addresses, it crashes the AppleUSBEHCI, meaning that the keyboard and mouse die.

... kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:15:58:5b:5d:19

... kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:15:58:5b:5d:18

... kernel[0]: USBF: 228.782 AppleUSBEHCI [0x3357000]:: Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 34, timing out!

Co-incidentally, on the same motherboard, the NIC doesn't work (no link light) in Ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04.1 either, but does work under Windows XP (boo), so it looks to be a problem on the upstream driver from where you're borrowing code from.

I've tried version 0.3 of your driver on a machine with a Foxconn AM2 N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H motherboard. Whilst all versions of your driver find the NICs and work out the MAC addresses, none of them manage to bring the link up.

This is with PCI id 0x10de:0x0373.

With the latest (0.3) driver, soon after it's identified the MAC addresses, it crashes the AppleUSBEHCI, meaning that the keyboard and mouse die.

... kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:15:58:5b:5d:19

... kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:15:58:5b:5d:18

... kernel[0]: USBF: 228.782 AppleUSBEHCI [0x3357000]:: Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 34, timing out!

Co-incidentally, on the same motherboard, the NIC doesn't work (no link light) in Ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04.1 either, but does work under Windows XP (boo), so it looks to be a problem on the upstream driver from where you're borrowing code from.

Try the nForceLAN driver from the other sticky'd thread.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
After to enter the last command, system keep working, but my usb keyboard and my usb don't work. Then I must restart. What can I do??

Please help me.

Use nForceLAN (the other sticky thread in the forum). forcedeth.kext is obsolete.

• 2 months later...
Post the source code as well as the actual thing. That way more development can be made on this.

Also, just as a warning. You may get alot of people asking how to load it etc etc etc. You may want to make a little tutorial, which should save you time instead of having to answer questions over and over.

But thanks :) This is great progress! Hopefully soon, nForce will be fully supported, lol

TheFighter

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Last login: Thu May 27 12:21:57 on ttys000

localhost:~ jamie$ tail -f /var/log/system.

log

May 27 12:21:06 localhost mdworker[217]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:21:44 localhost iTunes[218]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:21:57 localhost Terminal[219]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:21:57 localhost login[220]: USER_PROCESS: 220 ttys000

May 27 12:22:03 localhost TextEdit[230]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:22:07 localhost AppleSpell[231]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:22:34 localhost login[220]: DEAD_PROCESS: 220 ttys000

May 27 12:22:35 localhost kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=236[mdworker] clearing CS_VALID

May 27 12:22:35 localhost mdworker[236]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:22:36 localhost login[237]: USER_PROCESS: 237 ttys000

May 27 12:24:07 localhost quicklookd[248]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 27 12:24:08 localhost kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=249[lssave] clearing CS_VALID

I have ideneb 1.3 with a nvidia nforce network controller im trying to get the driver to work but this error comes up :wallbash:

please help me ASAP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I tried to install the driver however everytime I type the following command:

kextload -v ~/desktop/forcedeth/build/release/forcedeth.kext

I get failed to load authentication failure (file ownership/permissions)

I have tried this under sudo -s I get the same message, I have tried giving the folder all the permission still doesnt work.

Can someone here please help me? Thanks

Hi guys, I tried to install the driver however everytime I type the following command:

kextload -v ~/desktop/forcedeth/build/release/forcedeth.kext

I get failed to load authentication failure (file ownership/permissions)

I have tried this under sudo -s I get the same message, I have tried giving the folder all the permission still doesnt work.

Can someone here please help me? Thanks

Anyone knows why I can't install the driver?

• 1 month later...
I'm one of the unlucky/poor ones who own a A8N-SLI... and not even the deluxe edition that gives you the Marvell-Yukon chip which would work for OS X. I didn't want to buy another LAN board, because I'm perversely repulsed by that sort of redundancy and inelegance.

After a few attempts at trying to manipulate the vendor and device ids to make the Apple drivers work, I decided to write my own from scratch. :D

Well, more precisely, I decided to blatantly rip off of the GPL'ed forcedeth driver for Linux, which someone had mentioned earlier (but I had a really difficult time getting a copy of the source code on Google, I only managed to get several old versions so far). But I figured 2000 odd lines of code isn't too unreasonable and I could figure it out mostly, and also figure out enough of OS X's innards so I can port it.

Luckily, I was right, and it's partially thanks to the Apple team for providing a surprisingly friendly platform to code... device drivers on. I've never coded one in my life, and I've never coded for Macs, either, but I was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. (However, I must say the documentation wasn't the best... I mean at least do a better job of hyperlinking it! And also I had quite a fun time trying to get the provided interrupt request handler to work right... it actually crashed my computer a lot more than the "unsafe" method I used earlier did)

The driver is pretty crappy, I have severe doubts about its stability, and indeed, I've had to restart my computer a lot during the development process, but having your code running at the kernel level doesn't give you a lot of room for error. :P But, hey it works (sort of... I think it might still want to murder USB if I try to unload the kext... "unsafe" method didn't have this problem). Also, I wasn't able to implement the latest and greatest features. Like scatter-gather, TOS and so forth. For those things, I'd probably have to actually talk to a real person to figure out what's going on instead of just looking at the code (which is pretty much not commented at all).

Anyway, I'm not how much interest is there (all the other nForce4 people seem to have other LAN cards or have the Deluxe or Platinum version and using the Marvell Yukon driver), and the driver so far is still pretty humiliatingly unstable (though I haven't tested it out extensively). If you want the source, it'll be all GPL'ed and such.

But I mostly wanted to brag about how I wrote a OS X driver. :P It doesn't seem like that happens a lot... Pretty good for a Apple newb, eh?

EDIT:

The driver attached should now be fairly stable, but as with all OS X drivers, there is no guarantee of support. Complete system freezes have been known to occur with older versions and may reoccur, so avoid doing critical work on OS X. Source code is included for the sake of future generations. Here are my recommended instructions for getting it working on your computer:

1. Download the attached driver

2. Extract the contents onto the desktop

3. Open the Terminal application in the Applications/Utilities folder

4. Type "tail -f /var/log/system.log" to obtain debugging output for the first run.

5. Use the menu bar to open up a new Terminal window.

6. In this new window, type "cd ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release"

7. sudo chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

8. sudo chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

9. sudo kextload -v forcedeth.kext

10. Observe in the log window what happens. If there are no errors, and you eventually see the link going up with a proper speed, then the driver will work with your hardware. Otherwise, paste the log in this thread for help.

11. Test out the driver by browsing some websites, etc.

12. If there were any problems in steps 10 or 11, type "sudo kextunload forcedeth.kext", then repeat steps 7-11 for forcedeth-nockd.kext

13. To install the driver, type "sudo cp -R forcedeth.kext /System/Library/Extensions"

14. Lastly, update the extensions cache with "sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

EDIT: I needed to do some work on OS X again, so I installed Leopard. The original version of my driver seemed to not work/immediately kernel panic so I made a small change. I think it's probably the same change I made awhile ago when I was trying to fix it for stability. I also cleaned up the plists a bit. But if it didn't work for you at all before, it will probably not work for you now either. But if it worked for you before, this version should work better.

It was compiled under 10.5, so it might need a recompile for your version of the OS.

EDIT2: Replaced old version with a newer version that fixes a bug that caused kernel panics for me before. After some work figuring out how to get panic logs, I traced it to the occasional failure of replaceOrCopyPacket. I did a quick Google search to see why that could possibly happen -- only it lead me right back to this thread, where someone named chuttenh had already traced it to the very same problem. D'oh! I can't keep track of this huge thread. Anyway, I posted my version of the fix. There's some weirdness with refilling the ring with "available packets" after errors that I think may come up with earlier versions and chuttenh's version, but I am not sure. His version has a few other changes, I think, and is available from his post somewhere in here.

EDIT3 I merged MeDevil's changes for MCP61 and called it 0.3 (thanks, MeDevil!). I cannot test these changes myself, but according to MeDevil, it should take care of the waking up from sleep problem and backwards MAC address issue for MCP61. Note that the device ID is hardcoded in there, so if anyone has these issues and do not have MCP61, change where it checks specifically for 0x03EF, stick in your device ID, recompile and see if it works for you. If it does, tell me and we can add it. (EDIT3.1: Updated 0.3 to actually add MCP61 to the Info.plist, forgot to do that last time. Oops!)

EDIT3.2: Github repository up at http://github.com/planetbeing/forcedeth-osx/. Issue pull requests whenever. It also has a wiki if people would like to share their experiences with the driver there.

After I install the mouse freezes and i cant click on the network preferences thing that pops up... i used the 3rd version btw... on an hp a6700 y im so confused... can you help? if so my email is meteora7788@yahoo.com thank you very much

After I install the mouse freezes and i cant click on the network preferences thing that pops up... i used the 3rd version btw... on an hp a6700 y im so confused... can you help? if so my email is meteora7788@yahoo.com thank you very much

forcedeth.kext is obsolete. Try nForceLAN.

forcedeth.kext is obsolete. Try nForceLAN.

i would but it wont work either.... if anyone can help i have an hp a6700y and i installed the lawless amd install. and i also need help with graphics... i got the sound working great... the funny thing is that i installed it the first time and this walkthrough worked pefectly but had to reinstall and now it wont work

• 4 months later...

Can someone please tell me which of these forcedeth drivers are the newest without any kernel panics?? because I am using the forcedeth.nockd.kext right now and I have had a couple of kernel panics in the last hour..

Please let me know as this is the only driver that I can get to work with my NFORCE 430..

As NfoceLAN does not work for me..