Overclocking Problem

OPTiK

58 posts in this topic

I received my Asus P5LD2-V today ..now waiting for the CPU then i can tell how that Combo turns out.

But according to the Asus Site it seems the -VM is not the right choice(for OC'ing).

Can someone tell me whats the diff from the 945G and the 945P?

PS..sorry if thats a numb question iam actually a Maccie user so not to familiar with PC HW :(

Twin 12v is a definite no-no with the 805. You want a single rail, with good amperage. I think that might explain why youre unstable at 3.8Ghz. Ive got mine running 4.0Ghz on air right now.

Also, upping the PCI-e bus frequency does nothing for framerates or graphics performance. You really need to lock it at 100 (the default), and also lock the PCI at 33.3 when you start overclocking with the P5LD2 boards. At 125, youre really running the risk of frying the graphics card :(

How do you figure a twin 12v rail PSU is no good for a dual core CPU? PSU manufacturers have been pushing toward multiple rail units for some time now and dual core CPUs are more common than ever.

I have a good 450w PSU with a high amp single rail - it made absolutely no difference to my overclock, thats why I'm using the 375. The 450 is in my gaming rig. I use the 805 for experimentation and video encoding. Incidentally, I dont run it at 125 PCIe, I did that to see how far it would go. PCIe is currently 119mhz @3.6ghz. Its more than likely I've reached the limits of this mobo or CPU.

BTW Cucamel, there is a bug on the VM board - you have to raise the PCIe to get a decent overclock.

I bought the 805 just to see what it can do - will prolly buy another with a different mobo - the full fat P5LD2 looks like a decent candidate. With the CPU costing less than £100, its hardly the end of the world if I kill it. But I wouldnt suggest other people push it too far - Thats why I suggested scr34m should use the onboard gfx for testing.

I do agree with you about Scr34ms temps, they are way too high, even after he fitted the case fan.

[edit] I would expect those temps at full load.

My CPU and mobo temps are 34 and 28 degrees. I have 3 x 80mm case fans and one 120mm. I use a freezer pro on the cpu and 40mm fan on a large heatsink on the southbridge. I also use a heat terminator for blowing air across the RAM. Used a couple of Zalman fan wires to reduce the fan speeds and noise.

Scr34m, I would look at replacing the southbridge heatsink with a bigger, actively cooled HSF, also check the air temp at the top of your case after running the system for a while - see if its warm. You NEED good airflow in ur case if you want to overclock.

ttfn :D

Why would you want to overclock your PC ? you have a fairly good spec,

My advice buy a faster processor,

Well the 805 costs less than £100. Spend £30-£40 on cooling and it will run like a D960 which costs about £360.

But, money matters aside, its FUN!!

I received my Asus P5LD2-V today ..now waiting for the CPU then i can tell how that Combo turns out.

But according to the Asus Site it seems the -VM is not the right choice(for OC'ing).

Can someone tell me whats the diff from the 945G and the 945P?

PS..sorry if thats a numb question iam actually a Maccie user so not to familiar with PC HW :(

The 945G incorporates Intel onboard graphics.

How do you figure a twin 12v rail PSU is no good for a dual core CPU? PSU manufacturers have been pushing toward multiple rail units for some time now and dual core CPUs are more common than ever.

I have a good 450w PSU with a high amp single rail - it made absolutely no difference to my overclock, thats why I'm using the 375. The 450 is in my gaming rig. I use the 805 for experimentation and video encoding. Incidentally, I dont run it at 125 PCIe, I did that to see how far it would go. PCIe is currently 119mhz @3.6ghz. Its more than likely I've reached the limits of this mobo or CPU.

BTW Cucamel, there is a bug on the VM board - you have to raise the PCIe to get a decent overclock.

I bought the 805 just to see what it can do - will prolly buy another with a different mobo - the full fat P5LD2 looks like a decent candidate. With the CPU costing less than £100, its hardly the end of the world if I kill it. But I wouldnt suggest other people push it too far - Thats why I suggested scr34m should use the onboard gfx for testing.

I do agree with you about Scr34ms temps, they are way too high, even after he fitted the case fan.

[edit] I would expect those temps at full load.

My CPU and mobo temps are 34 and 28 degrees. I have 3 x 80mm case fans and one 120mm. I use a freezer pro on the cpu and 40mm fan on a large heatsink on the southbridge. I also use a heat terminator for blowing air across the RAM. Used a couple of Zalman fan wires to reduce the fan speeds and noise.

Scr34m, I would look at replacing the southbridge heatsink with a bigger, actively cooled HSF, also check the air temp at the top of your case after running the system for a while - see if its warm. You NEED good airflow in ur case if you want to overclock.

ttfn :wallbash:

Ill refer you to this on the single vs. dual issue

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391777

To summarize, its better to have all the power on one rail, rather than two, especially when overclocking. Its no secret that an overclocked 805 is extremely power hungry. The general opinion around the PC enthusiast community is single with higher amps is better, and Ive found this to be my experience as well. If youre running a 375W at 3.6Ghz, Id imagine that youre pushing the limits of that PSU pretty well. Ive got a 550W, and its pretty taxing at 3.6, worse at 3.8, and extremely bad at 4.0.

As far as the bug on the -VM board, that would make me extremely uneasy if I had a GPU plugged into that slot. It would make me uneasy anyway :withstupid:

As far as temps, this is a Smithfield based core, and its no secret (again) that they double as great space heaters :whistle: At 4.0 with my Zalman, I idle at 42, and hit load at 60 (and its dropping because my AS5 is still being broken in...). Half of the reason is because I have a full ATX case with great airflow (and noise obviously, but thats not a deal breaker). My MoBo as I type this is 32, with an ambient temp of 25C. Here again, good airflow is of great proportion to your ability to overclock successfully. :dev:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

my 805 on P5LD2-VM DH just working on 166 FSB and this absolutly Prime Stable.

My error was that i forget to set the memory voltage a little higher.

Here`s my Setting:

CPU Frequency: 166

DRAM Frequency: 332

PCI Express Frequency: 118

PCI Clock: fixed to 33,3

Memory Voltage: 1,85

vCore: 1,3275

The temps are: Idle: 40-41

Prime and other benchmarks: 49-51

Hello..back with some expirience here with the P5LD2-V and the D 805. Iam abit asstonished about it..since i cant get higher bootable overclock as 3.18ghz and a FSB of 159. :D

I made another Test with my older P4 521 Preßler CPU that comes with a FSB 800 and i can clock this one stable at 3.8 GHZ with FSB 270 and higher.

System Information

Geekbench Version: Geekbench 2006 (build 180)

Geekbench Platform: Mac OS X x86

Geekbench Compiler: GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)

Model: Developer Transition Kit

Motherboard: ADP2,1

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Processor ID: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1

Logical Processor Count: 2

Physical Processor Count: 1

Processor Frequency: 3730 MHz

Bus Frequency: 1064 MHz

Memory: 1024 MB

Geekbench Result:195.1

Think i sell the D 805 and go for a D 930...sign