Overclocking Problem

OPTiK

58 posts in this topic

Hey Guys!!

I have a question with regards to overclocking a Pentium D 805 with an ASUS P5LD2-VM mainboard. Using the overclocking profile set to 10% I'm getting errors apon reboot like "Overclocking failed or Overvoltage failed". When I had a 512mb DDR2 chip in there I could overclock no problems, but when I installed a GEIL dual channel DDR2 kit that's when I get that error. Does anyone know the cause of it or how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

Hi OPTiK,

You'll need to put the pair in DIMM1 and DIMM3 and hope the GEIL is kind (compatible and overclockable) with your mobo. A newer BIOS may support more memory timing.

The Corsir Value Select below seems to be fine and stable at 10% overclock with the Pent D 805/P5LD2-VM, but not 15% (but failure at 15% over could be due to other reasons such as mobo chipset or CPU).

BIOS Properties:

Vendor American Megatrends Inc.

Version 0406

Release Date 10/27/2005

Size 512 KB

SPD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ DIMM1: Corsair VS1GB533D2 ]

Memory Module Properties:

Module Name Corsair VS1GB533D2

Serial Number 86000DE1h

Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered

Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Memory Speed DDR2-533 (266 MHz)

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 1.8

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 266 MHz 4.0-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:

Early RAS# Precharge Supported

Auto-Precharge Not Supported

Precharge All Not Supported

Write1/Read Burst Not Supported

Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported

Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported

On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported

Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported

Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported

Differential Clock Input Not Supported

Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:

Company Name Corsair Memory, Inc.

Product Information http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products.html

Thanks ced1610! Setting the PCIe bus to 118Mhz is a good tip for the manual overclocking option in the Asus PL5D2-VM. That is an impressive FSB you are running at 1Ghz. With the cheaper and slower 533Mhz DDR2 memory and Pent D 805 (533Mhz FSB), the overclock is around 157x4 or 630Mhz and CPU 3.15Ghz.

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester :

Processor : Pentium D 805

MHz : 3.15Ghz at 157 Mhz x 4 FSB

Number of CPUs : 2

Operating System : WinXP

Graphics Card :

Resolution : 1280x1024

Color Depth : 32bit

Rendering (Single CPU): 270 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 497 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.84

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 363 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1033 CB-GFX

Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 1156 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 3.18

i think you must put the pciexpress bus to 118 Mhz...

enjoy...

I don't have any PCI-E cards installed but you think that'll solve my problem? I'll try it wayways...

Well I'm pleased to say that changing that PCI-E bus speed works. I'm Over clocked to 2.93 gHz. When I try to change the ram clock that's when I get errors. So I'm guessing my ram can't be overclocked. Oh well.

I have try PD 805 on P5LD2-VM and get a maximum FSB 162 with PCI-E set to 110MHz :(

Are you using the stock HS/Fan? What's your CPU Temp?

on pci mainboard (and pciexpress too) there is a bus which is used by ALL component, its named PCI-bus and isn't only for add card... but for video integrated controler, RAM and other stuff...

i have OC'd my Prescott 775 3 Ghz 1 MB cache to 3,9 Ghz with this Motherboard...

hey, i wanna overclock too, i have little time to read through all the info, never done anything like that before. i have the same configuration as you, optik. i also use value select ddr2 667 pc5300 RAM, just 512 MB. i may add more later.

what should i do to overclock? i also have a pentium d 805, using the original fan. but i also have an add2 card.

same mobo as you. please tell me the steps i need to take! thanks!

would be very glad if anyone could help, also ced1610

simon

I had no probs overclocking, though my system runs fine, not really need to overclock, i have to ask did you have problems getting 667 MHz ram, this board seems picky, first lot i bought, value, was 667, but the max i got was 533 out of it.

recently i have installed a brand new 930 pentium d...

the second processor is named Hyperthreading by the mobo...

let's go for a simple way :

in CPU config :

Microcode Updation : ENABLED

Max CPUID Value Limit : DISABLED

Execute Disable Function : ENABLED

CPU Thermal Control : DISABLED

Venderpool Technology : ENABLED

Hyperthreading Technology : ENABLED

don't forget to put the pci express bus to 118 Mhz.

test for the good FSB speed and enjoy...

it's very easy but good luck...

How far could you overclock your 930 "Presler"? Do you overclock the P5LD2-VM mobo only by setting the FSB speed (with a fixed multiplier) or can you set the clock frequency (in other words the multiplier) directly?

recently i have installed a brand new 930 pentium d...

the second processor is named Hyperthreading by the mobo...

let's go for a simple way :

in CPU config :

Microcode Updation : ENABLED

Max CPUID Value Limit : DISABLED

Execute Disable Function : ENABLED

CPU Thermal Control : DISABLED

Venderpool Technology : ENABLED

Hyperthreading Technology : ENABLED

don't forget to put the pci express bus to 118 Mhz.

test for the good FSB speed and enjoy...

it's very easy but good luck...

i have OC'ed it to 3,54 Ghz...

very stable and fast...More fast than my 3,9 Ghz OC'ed P4 Prescott...

you can only put up the fsb, the multiplier is locked in the processor, you can purchase for a Pentium D Extreme, the multiplier is free and there are two HyperTreading virtual Processors, (OSX86 look 4 Processors) witch give more than 25% more power (i have seen it on my 3,9 Ghz Prescott...), but the Price...

if your looking on the ASUS site, they tell us that P5LD2-VM mainboard can use 667 Mhz Ram Maximum...

from the website :

" Intel 945G chipset

The Intel 945G graphics memory controller hub(GMCH) and the ICH7 I/O controller hub provide the vital interfaces for the motherboard. The GMCH features the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, an integrated graphics engine for enhanced 3D, 2D, and video capabilities. The GMCH provides the interface for processor in the 775-land package with 533/800/1066MHz FSB, dual channel DDR2 at speeds of up to 667MHz ( :happymac: ), and PCI Express x16 graphics card."

Yeah I know that... but mine should work. I can't seem to get past DDR2-300. If I try to go higher, when I reboot my monitor goes into standby and the system halts. The reset button wont restart the machine, only pressing and holding the power botton work to restart it. Apon restart I get this error

OC_failed.jpg

Here my bios OCing page

bios2.jpg

Some people in THIS thread said that my ram is not fully compatible with my mobo... any ideas?

With a CPU (FSB) frequency of 150 and a DRAM frequency of 300 you are running a 1:1 ratio, which is pretty ideal. Making the RAM faster than the FSB won´t improve performance (by much).

Here my bios OCing page

bios2.jpg

Some people in THIS thread said that my ram is not fully compatible with my mobo... any ideas?

if your CPU cooling is good enough it should be possible to increase the FSB speed above 150 to 170 or 180, perhaps even without cranking up CPU voltage.

Okay so leaving it with these settings are the best I can get with my hardware?