Lenovo S10 ideapad hackbook air?

52 posts in this topic

Ok,

so WLAN chipset is : 802.11 b /g Broadcom BCM94312MCG

and Bluettooth chipste is : Broadcom BCM2046

For that graphics : Intel 945 GSE and the southbridge : ICH 7

Do you think it will work under leopard ?

Most people are saying that bluetooth isn't going to be available with these laptops that are being launched... Does anybody know if leopard will support a usb micro bluetooth dongle?

I have no idea if that will work in leopard but i'd like to know too... maybe one of the osx86 veterans can chime in here?

Everywhere I have read, they have said there is no Bluetooth, even though on the site is says so. We won't know until these are out in the open, or Lenovo fixes their errors on the site.

Check the HCL Wiki, but I believe Leopard would work with a USB Bluetooth, but you're best bet is to check the HCL Wiki.

I want this notebook, but for the same price, I could rebuild my desktop, and it would be far far far amazing compared to the notebook, so I think I might pass for now, but I'll end up getting it again, perhaps sometime around Christmas with check bonuses. :D

I want this notebook, but for the same price, I could rebuild my desktop, and it would be far far far amazing compared to the notebook, so I think I might pass for now, but I'll end up getting it again, perhaps sometime around Christmas with check bonuses. ;)

Well keep checking back. I'll let you know how the install is when it gets delivered in 2 weeks.

Well keep checking back. I'll let you know how the install is when it gets delivered in 2 weeks.

I am so excited to know the result of yours. Hope it is another good choice for Hack-netbook other than MSI WIND.

It would be amazing if you can compare the S10 with the MSI WIND.

stevin

have you installed this? results?

No, I have not installed yet. They have not shipped any of the ideapads to people who bought them. I was one of the first to buy when they became available and my estimated ship date is 9/9/08 so you'll have to check back about a week later.

I picked up an extra 2 gigs of ram, but because 512 is soldered on to the board it will only bring it up to 1.5 gb of ram (which isn't too bad for running osx.. if it works)

I'm definitely going to install osx on it the moment I get it since I don't care for a windows laptop... however, after seeing an 8.9 inch asus in best buy I'm scared that a 10 inch netbook might be a bit too small...

we'll see.. if there are experienced osx86 people checking this I'll definitely need your help installing... I'm going to read up on the msi forum and hopefully installing will be similar/easier than the wind!!

If you install the 2GB, the 512MB will be disabled, and you will have 2GB total.

I'll help you out with installing if you need it. Just PM me if you need any help because people don't always reply when you need help.

I hope you're correct.. People kept saying that the board could only handle 1gb per slot (in which case its pretty garbage)

I'll test that theory out too... my single 2gb chip came in today so I'll repost when its installed. (ideapad hasn't shipped yet)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm pretty anxious to see your results as I'm also waiting for the S10/S9 to arrive in Thailand.

Good luck with the install!

PS: I've read on one forum that if you insert 2GB DIMM, the bios will just ignore the onboard soldered RAM. I hope this is true. Right now I'm taking this bit of information with a pinch of salt as not all forum posters are tech savvy; or at least not well informed enough to know what they are talking about. =)

• 2 weeks later...

looks like this is the perfect netbook to install leopard, seems like the wireless chipset is also used in macbook ? i've seen on couple of macbooks it has broadcom 43xx.

let us know if you've successfully installed leopard and wireless is working fine.

oh definitely worth the price if expresscard works under leopard, might be useful for HSDPA/3G Data Card

Update: from consumer support lenovo website,

Consumer Support Lenovo

it uses Broadcom wireless driver, broadcom ethernet adapter driver, realtek HD audio driver.

update : got it from a friend, white color IBM Ideapad S10

wireless 14E4 chipset 4315 (broadcom)

ethernet 14E4 chipset 1713 (Broadcom)

sound 10EC chipset 0269 (realtek)

let us know if you've successfully installed leopard and wireless is working fine.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while... Got my white S10 a couple of weeks ago...

OSX installs... easily... i used msiwindosx and once its installed its pretty easy to use a couple of kexts and a wifi enabler...

what works.

Graphics full 1024x600 resoltion

Wifi

Sleep/Wake

Runs smoothly

Which is almost all that I need.

What doesn't work..

Brightness control, but you can use 3rd party programs to control brightness

Sound !! The big one.. but a few teams are working on it.

Ethernet... but who needs it when you have wifi.

Right now I have it dual booting osx/vista... and im going to try to triple boot osx/vista/xp

let me know if you have questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently having:

Lenovo S10 20015 (pink)

came with 1Gb RAM, 160GB HDD, WiFi & BT

Currently using:

Leo4Allv3 10.5.2

Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update

SU 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 update

In short, installed 10.5.2 using Leo4Allv3 disc, update to 10.5.3 using kalyways' update, update to 10.5.4 using "10.5.3 to 10.5.4 update" downloaded from apples' site.

have yet to update to 10.5.5.

Graphics

using GMA950 driver that came with Leo4Allv3.

Screen brightness control works using "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...574&st=170#

hex edited "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" and "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" as instructed here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...8862&st=24#

Core Image:Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme:Supported

Quartz GL:Supported

Native at 1024x600x32@56

played WoW, WC3, Diablo II with native mac binary, played CS using CrossOver Games, works well.

WiFi

using Broadcom driver that came with Leo4allv3.

edited the script, added an entry for 4315.

executed the script, reboot, works well.

BlueTooth

Works OOB (out of box), so far no problems.

USB

Works OOB, so far no problems.

TouchPad

Basic touchpad and tapclicking works OOB.

tapclicking is disabled by default, enable it in System Preferences.

1-finger and 2-finger h/v scrolling works using drivers posted here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

some editing of values required to fit your comfort.

Sleep

does not work, many ppl have reported that it works for them.

personally i don use sleep so it is not an issue for me.

Audio

audio is detected but does not work.

I've tried the driver posted by zAo, using that driver audio is no longer detected.

for those who would like to try, here are some notes:

the installer installes ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext, and removes AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, well at least for my system, so if you are trying this out, you may want to back these up if you would want to revert later.

alt workaround: BlueTooth Audio works

LAN

not detected, not working

alt workaround: BlueTooth LAN and DUN works

SpeedStep

i really don't know if it is working on my system or not.

idle temp is higher when i am running mac compared to windows, fan sounds louder too. this makes me think my speedstep is not working.

i manage to last 2:25 on a full charge batt, screen brightness lowest, wifi on, constant surfing and downloading. this on the other hand makes me think it is.

basically just for reference for anyone that may find this information usefull.

Thanks and Regards.