Lenovo S10 ideapad hackbook air?

52 posts in this topic

I was about as creative as I could be with the title...

Does anybody think that I'll be able to put osx86 on this guy?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...11D24AEBC064493

I think it could be a super cheap macbook air substitute... but I don't know how compatible it would be?

thoughts?

looks like it will run everything well, problem might be with the video, apple doesn't ship anything yet with x4500 so don't know if kexts are there are if there will be an update, anyway hardware is well supported,

looks like it will run everything well, problem might be with the video, apple doesn't ship anything yet with x4500 so don't know if kexts are there are if there will be an update, anyway hardware is well supported,

Thanks so much for your comment. I guess now I'm torn... I don't know whether I want to believe the lenovo website that lists the s10 with x4500 graphics or this wiki that has it as GMA 950

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...1-presentation/

I feel like x4500 would be a bit advanced for a netbook running an atom processor right?

one kind of major question I had (and am scared to ask.. is if the wifi card is compatible...)

its a 802.11 b / g Broadcom BCM 4312CMG

(i guess i can try to figure that one out on my own though)

But if this turns out to be a 350 dollar osx running netbook i'll be very pleased and leave my legit macbook at home..

edit: I guess according to this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=51725&st=0 the wifi card should work.

I'm interested in this notebook as well. I really am not looking for anything amazing, I just do some work and would like a small notebook around with me and if it can run OS X then that's even better.

The Lenovo site says x4500 or whatever, but I am still concerned on whether it's a GMA 950 or the x4500 as there are two sources.

Also, does anybody know if the other specs are compatible?

I just bought a black one with ship date of 9/23. I imagine it has a GMA 950 and the x4500 spec is a mistake. However - don't you think the Atom is a little pokey for Leopard? I haven't read much about the MSI Wind's that run it.

haha.. saw you over on slickdeals a while ago... guess we're in the same boat and can figure this out together.

I think the atom will probably be able to handle leopard although it might not be extremely pretty. I have a macbook and a macbook air (which i'll be selling shortly). The macbook air can't take one tenth of the abuse that i give my macbook (and the air i have runs a 1.6ghz core 2 duo)

I bought a white one so that it would look more like a macbook and ship date is 9/9..

osx86 veterans... is it difficult/ impossible to install from an external hard drive? or do i need to pick up an external dvd drive?

I'm interested in this notebook as well. I really am not looking for anything amazing, I just do some work and would like a small notebook around with me and if it can run OS X then that's even better.

The Lenovo site says x4500 or whatever, but I am still concerned on whether it's a GMA 950 or the x4500 as there are two sources.

Also, does anybody know if the other specs are compatible?

I'm with you and not looking for anything amazing either... I just no longer like windows. I'd like to be able to carry a small portable around that I can surf the net with run office and keep a more powerful computer at home.

haha.. saw you over on slickdeals a while ago... guess we're in the same boat and can figure this out together.

I think the atom will probably be able to handle leopard although it might not be extremely pretty. I have a macbook and a macbook air (which i'll be selling shortly). The macbook air can't take one tenth of the abuse that i give my macbook (and the air i have runs a 1.6ghz core 2 duo)

I bought a white one so that it would look more like a macbook and ship date is 9/9..

osx86 veterans... is it difficult/ impossible to install from an external hard drive? or do i need to pick up an external dvd drive?

I'm with you and not looking for anything amazing either... I just no longer like windows. I'd like to be able to carry a small portable around that I can surf the net with run office and keep a more powerful computer at home.

Same here. I have a good desktop that runs OS X pretty amazing, and I've built it well. I don't need a DVD-Burner or anything like that since I already have a good desktop for that. I am just really worried about it not running OS X, and I don't want to buy it until we find some more information about whether it will run or not.

And I'd be better off picking up a cheap external dvd-drive, because I have read that installing off another drive and whatnot is harder.

Plus I think external dvd-drives are pretty cheap now.

It's weird, I saw some guys comment on Digg about this notebook, and now I am hooked.

With an external dvd-burner from newegg for 54.00 plus 2GB of RAM for 27.99 from G-Skill, the total is under 500 which is definitely amazing, even though the processor isn't much, I'm only looking for chatting and some office working and some internet, and perhaps something to just have fun with.

I haven't bought a notebook in like six years.

Or maybe Apple will even release new Macbooks with X4500 graphics, then we can get that working.

I was thinking this could be an option... Its a tough situation to be in though.. While it would be sweet if the new macbooks get released with the x4500 I really don't want the lappy if its not running OSX.

If I'm replacing my macbook with this thing for portability I guess that means I'll need to build myself a cheap OSX desktop as well! Right now I've just been "docking" my macbook whenever I get home.

Plus I think external dvd-drives are pretty cheap now.

It's weird, I saw some guys comment on Digg about this notebook, and now I am hooked.

With an external dvd-burner from newegg for 54.00 plus 2GB of RAM for 27.99 from G-Skill,

I haven't bought a notebook in like six years.

They definitely have gotten a lot cheaper. Honestly I don't know what you use your computer for, but having my macbook air for 2 months without a dvd drive showed me I really wouldn't miss having one. I use my dvd drive to burn DVD's ... and I don't do that on the road.

I'll have to pick up some ram for this guy too. 512 is embarrassing

Well it was a mistake on the US website, and it's been corrected. Which makes sense because the 4500 is not meant to work with the Atom platform...

http://www-07.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/hk/ideaPad/sSeries/#

Thanks for the link... that sounds good to me... no not good.. it sounds very good... My current macbook runs a GMA 950.. and I it does the job for me quite well.... Now it looks like the S10 will be compatible in every way...

Saw in your sig that you've got an MSI Wind running OSX... what are you impressions of it? how hard was the install etc.

Thanks for the link... that sounds good to me... no not good.. it sounds very good... My current macbook runs a GMA 950.. and I it does the job for me quite well.... Now it looks like the S10 will be compatible in every way...

Saw in your sig that you've got an MSI Wind running OSX... what are you impressions of it? how hard was the install etc.

The USA site for Lenovo still says X4500..

So, is that still just an error? Because if it's GMA 950 then this notebook should work flawlessly.

I don't think it's an error, it would not be the first time lenovo used totally different gpu in different part of the world, like on the y510 where you can only get it with a x3100 whereas in europe the only option is the much better hd2600.

It's an error. On numerous says today they have updated their specs and have said the X4500 is an error because the X4500 would not run properly with the ATOM processors that the S10 is using, and all of the sites except the USA Lenovo site has been updated to the GMA 950 in the specs.

Well I think it's an error. All the Atom notebooks thus far use GMA 950. Also some sites report it has using GMA 950.

I don't think this laptop is out yet, right? Once it's released we'll know. I'm betting it uses GMA 950!

I'm almost certain its an error.. And really excited about it being an error...

they arent out yet... they started taking orders yesterday when I bought mine and my ship date is 9/9 so I'll keep you posted when it comes in.

I still don't know how I feel about replacing my macbook with that little guy but it should be a fun project

The graphics chip is an Intel GMA 950, it's been confirmed.

The battery is 3-Cell, but supposedly there will have 6-Cell ones out, with 120GB drives, but who knows if that'll happen before they're actually out.

I plan on buying one next month after some of us get our hands on them and we find out what runs and what doesn't.

Everything seems to be supported. But that doesn't mean it'll run.

And a 3-Cell battery on a little subnotebook is not bad at all.

The last notebook I had didn't even last that long.

I'm very concerned about the sound....

... sound on ThinkPads has been very difficult, and I'm hoping this uses something that will work pretty easily in OSX. I would have gotten an MSI Wind, but the all-black ideapad looks like a mini-blackbook. Hopefully I won't have to cancel my order-- my ship date is 10/29!

Yeah, I can't find anything about the audio.

I have an iMic though, so if for some reason the sound doesn't work or anything, then I can fall back on that.

Does anyone know what audio chipset this has? I haven't seen anything on it.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/lenovo-ideapad-s...er-end-graphics

Here's a link updated us with the GMA 950 actually being shown from the laptop and listed in the specs on the Lenovo site.

Glad to know it's got supported graphics!

Yeah, I can't find anything about the audio.

I have an iMic though, so if for some reason the sound doesn't work or anything, then I can fall back on that.

Does anyone know what audio chipset this has? I haven't seen anything on it.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/lenovo-ideapad-s...er-end-graphics

Here's a link updated us with the GMA 950 actually being shown from the laptop and listed in the specs on the Lenovo site.

Glad to know it's got supported graphics!

Link you provided shows GMA 945 chipset... is that the same as GMA 950?

Not having audio might be a deal breaker for me... like in a big way.. if it has bluetooth then I don't care about mic in because during the rare rare case that I need to use the line in I can use my bluetooth headset

A lot of places are saying there is no Bluetooth, but that's not a problem for me. It's down to the audio.

Also, I found a CPP coupon since the e-coupons are no longer working.

I'm also not sure if this will support a 2GB module? I have read online that the 945 Chipset doesn't support 2GB RAM modules, and the 512MB that comes with it is welded on the motherboard, and there is only one free slot, and it says max is 1GB. So that would be 1.5GB max.. unless I'm mistaken.

I do not want to buy a 2GB module if I cannot use it.

A lot of places are saying there is no Bluetooth, but that's not a problem for me. It's down to the audio.

Also, I found a CPP coupon since the e-coupons are no longer working.

I'm also not sure if this will support a 2GB module? I have read online that the 945 Chipset doesn't support 2GB RAM modules, and the 512MB that comes with it is welded on the motherboard, and there is only one free slot, and it says max is 1GB. So that would be 1.5GB max.. unless I'm mistaken.

I do not want to buy a 2GB module if I cannot use it.

I'm with you on that one.... I'll probably hold off until it gets shipped before I buy ram for it... by then maybe we'll have answers about what it accepts....

I can confirm that it has a GMA 950... here is the email I got from lenovo about my order today.

Dear Valued Lenovo Customer,

We are contacting you with regard to your recent Lenovo IdeaPad S10 order.

Please note that we recently experienced a web error which caused the Graphics Card of your S10 to be listed erroneously. The correct

card that is configured into the unit is the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. Unfortunately, we are unable to honor the original

component, as it is not available for the system you ordered.

For more information on the Graphics Card and a technical comparison, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_950.

If you are not satisfied with updated configuration, please reply to this e-mail with your current Order Number and your cancellation request.

We will cancel your order at that time.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Lenovo Customer Service

hope that helps unconfuse anybody thats reading this...