[HOW TO]: Make 9800GX2 work in Mac Leopard 10.5.5! QE/CI Enabled! (WORKS ON NVIDIA M/Bs ONLY!)

Azamic

152 posts in this topic

Hi,

I followed the whole guide, but I finish up with the wrong screen resolution and the following information of the system profiler:

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 32 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0191

Versions-ID: 0x00a2

Information zur Kernel-Erweiterung: Keine Kext geladen

Monitore:

Monitor:

Auflösung: 1024 x 768

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt

Device ID 0191 is for my Geforce 8800GTX. Why is here no "Kext" loaded? What can I do now?

Anyone know why this QE still won't work? I've tried the "already modified" files from post 3 as well as redone my own info.plists, even though I believe they ended up the same. Also, I installed NVKush the package installer, as well as the Kext, is that what I am supposed to do?

Here is my try:

motherboard: GA-P35-DS3P

gfx: EVGA SSC 9800X2

installed leo4all 10.5.2 (vanilla 9.2.2)

all work perfect, every device, i didnt installled any graphic drivers.

I did it 2 different try:

first simple try, by download directly your kext package, and then copied in Extensions, i had no other graphics drivers installed...the only i was seeing in Ext list was some GeForcexxxxxx.bunble

did you think i should remove them too?

After copied your kext in Extensions folder, i got a popup window thats was saying something like driver not installed properly, i pushed OK and ignored.

After fixed permission, i rebooted system.

At boot all was looking normal, i saw display strings without any errors...boot is very fast.

But at time to switch to desktop, then i got black screen and monitor power led started blink.

Then i reinstalled leo4all and tried install not from your kext package, but by follow your insctructions above, i downloaded 4 files you linked and then copied in Extension.

I even changed boot file as your.

Too bad result after reboot was the same...same black screen with monitor power led blink just when system try switch from console to desktop.

My card is reconised as your 604 10de, what i did it wrong?

Any suggest is welcome, and i wanna underline im really new, and not much familiar with drivers handling.

qualsiasi

You didnt do anything wrong. The problem is your Intel M/B. My solution works on NVidia M/Bs (Surprisingly!!!). THere are a few people here who tried every trick in the book to make 9800gx2 work on an Intel M/B but have had no luck so far.

I suggest you try the gfx strings approach (search on this forum) whcih may give you option to change resolutions but as far as I know, QE/CI will still not be enabled!

Anyone know why this QE still won't work? I've tried the "already modified" files from post 3 as well as redone my own info.plists, even though I believe they ended up the same. Also, I installed NVKush the package installer, as well as the Kext, is that what I am supposed to do?

Can you post the extensions list from System Profiler?

I suggest you try replacing your current extensions with these extensions (my installed kexts). I dont see a reason for this to not work! I have installed Leo4allv3 on three machines (one with 780i m/;) with 9800gx2's and they worked like a charm on all three machines.

Just to let you know, the kexts that impact the functionality of 9800gx2 are NVKusk.kext, GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext

To make sure the installation of the kexts goes smoothly, I suggest you use OSX86 Tools Utility (After installing the kexts, you should repair permissions and remove extensions cache). Once installed, you need to reboot with flags: -v -f cpus=1

Lemme know how it goes!

BTW I am comfortably running my 9800gx2 on 10.5.4 now!

I suggest you try the gfx strings approach (search on this forum) whcih may give you option to change resolutions but as far as I know, QE/CI will still not be enabled!

Yes i alrady tried gfx strings, i posted nothing because was too much sad after so many try and best result was weird 1280x1024, not evan at right frequency with gfx string...ofc no HW acceleration.

I start to think i should buy a normal 8800gts and put it on second PC-E slot and switch card when look for use osx. But this sux a lot.

The worst thing is that when i bought new HW i checked all details for buy best compatible osx HW...and when saw all nvidia model was supported as 6xxx/7xxx/8xxx, 2mounth ago 9800 was new and i though ok all supported, 9800 will be same...instead im still stucked and tired about this situation.

I know no need cry, but well im a bit pissed because this unlucky.

Maybe im just too much worry, im kinda new on osx86...but lol i see HW compatibility for ati HD3870X2...not even as general driver, but explicit for it from long time...and nothing about 9800x2.

Tired...

Edit: i even tried Leo4allv4 as your suggestion...but it not look like a real v4...even because on main Leo site there is still no news about it...and installation options is same of v3 with only difference that some settings is editable when in v3 is grayed...thats all i saw, look nothing new...i would call it Leo4allv3plus at max.

Now iaktos v4 is out...near to finish dl...lets see how it work...but i know in advance there will be almost no chance about graphics.

Yes i alrady tried gfx strings, i posted nothing because was too much sad after so many try and best result was weird 1280x1024, not evan at right frequency with gfx string...ofc no HW acceleration.

I start to think i should buy a normal 8800gts and put it on second PC-E slot and switch card when look for use osx. But this sux a lot.

The worst thing is that when i bought new HW i checked all details for buy best compatible osx HW...and when saw all nvidia model was supported as 6xxx/7xxx/8xxx, 2mounth ago 9800 was new and i though ok all supported, 9800 will be same...instead im still stucked and tired about this situation.

I know no need cry, but well im a bit pissed because this unlucky.

Maybe im just too much worry, im kinda new on osx86...but lol i see HW compatibility for ati HD3870X2...not even as general driver, but explicit for it from long time...and nothing about 9800x2.

Tired...

Edit: i even tried Leo4allv4 as your suggestion...but it not look like a real v4...even because on main Leo site there is still no news about it...and installation options is same of v3 with only difference that some settings is editable when in v3 is grayed...thats all i saw, look nothing new...i would call it Leo4allv3plus at max.

Now iaktos v4 is out...near to finish dl...lets see how it work...but i know in advance there will be almost no chance about graphics.

Let me know how that iAtkos v4 works, Im retrying my 9800kexts with update -v right now

OK DO THIS FOR EVGA CARDS!! IT WORKS!! QE/CI Finally working!!! Install the extensions folder Azamaic provided a few posts up, I installed the crucial 4, repaired permissions and rebooted. Then installed all 15, repaired permissions and rebooted. I am booting with zero flags, not even cpus=1 my comp is 100% useful on QX9650 & Leo4AllV4. Thank you everyone!!!!

I went ahead and added screenshots of system profiler, I have included my QX9650 all 4 cores running, and 9800GX2 with QE/CI. If anyone wants to know my install method I'd be glad to help, I am on 10.5.2 right now, but am going to be running 10.5.4 by the end of the night.

post-189386-1216851932_thumb.png

post-189386-1216851951_thumb.png

I went ahead and added screenshots of system profiler, I have included my QX9650 all 4 cores running, and 9800GX2 with QE/CI. If anyone wants to know my install method I'd be glad to help, I am on 10.5.2 right now, but am going to be running 10.5.4 by the end of the night.

Glad to know there is finally someone to share my success story. The only pending issue for me is to run the OS in stable state without cpus=1 flag. I know it worked for you jxa but as you mentioned in the PM, it is not stable and gives you KPs.

I do understand that people have had stable OSX running on multiple cores with some tweaks to the M/B bios. Perhaps it has something to do with using Nvidia M/Bs.

If anyone can help us run all 4 cores on our QX9650, please contribute to this post. Thanks!

@jxa4508:

gratz for your success, now your are the 3rd one on whole community had lucky to make it working (aquamac, azamic and you)...i still do not understand why only this card is so cursed, i mean, every kind of graphic card in some way is supported and able to work...damned 9800x2 no.

I would ask which kinda of mobo are you running? itel? and can you maybe post your kext final package? im curios to try again...i dont like give up, but i have not enough knowledge for be able to write drivers.

I tried iAktos v4...lol nevermind, it wont even boot, i tried of course kernel 9.4...but anyway i not worked on it for try make it work.

As far i cant be able to make graphics work, i even dont care about minor stuff like kernel update.

and btw imho i still think that best release atm is still leo4allv3...i downloaded a v4 too, not much advertised, and maybe not even official...it only change from v3, that in this version you can edit more options in first install config...nothing new.

I tried this on my iATKOS v4i 10.5.4 with vanilla 9.4.0 installed. Card works but only with 1024x768 and forced 1280x1024 out of the box with no drivers.

My card is a Inno3D 9800GX2. I connect only via hdmi since i have no screens with vga/dvi plugs. only my projector with hdmi and such.

When i tried this it booted to a black screen where i could move the mice. however there was another cursor stucked in the corner where they spawn. Anyone have any tips?

Hi there, so after reading all of this is there anybody who got the GX2 working on an intel MB? e.g. the P35 Chipset?

I am still waiting for a success story to be clear about which card to buy for my new PC/Hackintosh based on a P35 Chipset (to be precise the Gigabyte P35 ds4 will be my choice here).

thanks and keep up the very good work here!

Can you zip up the kexts you are using, i would be glad to try them out on my system.

I followed your instructions and everything is fine but QE and CI is not working for me at all even from a fresh install.

Where do you check if NVinject.kext is still on the system?.

Im using LawlessPPC's 10.5.4 Phenom release and a Galaxy 9800GX2.

I followed your instructions and everything is fine but QE and CI is not working for me at all even from a fresh install.

Where do you check if NVinject.kext is still on the system?.

Im using LawlessPPC's 10.5.4 Phenom release and a Galaxy 9800GX2.

Hi Hanjin

You can make sure NVinject.kext is not on your system by going to \System\Library\Extensions\.

Once you have removed NVinject, you also need to make sure you have NVKush.kext (use the kexts I posted a few posts above).

Let me know how it goes.

Can you zip up the kexts you are using, i would be glad to try them out on my system.

Xstasyen, you can download the kexts from post 54 above or alternatively from here.

Make sure you replace you backup your existing kexts and then replace them with my kexts. Repair permissions and reboot with flags -f (if you get KP, add cpus=1 as well).

Good luck.

Hi there, so after reading all of this is there anybody who got the GX2 working on an intel MB? e.g. the P35 Chipset?

I am still waiting for a success story to be clear about which card to buy for my new PC/Hackintosh based on a P35 Chipset (to be precise the Gigabyte P35 ds4 will be my choice here).

thanks and keep up the very good work here!

I will let you know this coming week. I ordered all my stuff this week and everything should be in on Monday. I ordered the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L and the EVGA 9800GX2, so I will post back here with if it is possible.

I will let you know this coming week. I ordered all my stuff this week and everything should be in on Monday. I ordered the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L and the EVGA 9800GX2, so I will post back here with if it is possible.

Hey Leglez, any update on how it all worked out for you? Or have you not yet received your hardware?

Just got my card in today. I am already running into problems. I originally had a 7300GT installed. I installed it last night with NVInject. Then I got the 9800GX2 in today, I just installed it into the motherboard and pulled the 7300GT. When I went to boot I got an error saying something and had a grey power button and said I needed to hold the power button or press the reset switch. Do I need to install the Kexts listed first or do I physically put the card in first? Will the card boot up even if it isn't fully supported in OS X or do I need to get everything installed first?

Edit:

Nevermind I lied, I guess that was a kernel panic? I just installed 8GBs of RAM too so that is probably the problem with that. I took them out replaced it with my old RAM and it booted up fine. So now I am going to try using the kexts in the first post and see what happens.

Ok suggestion, don't try to install this if you have no idea what you are doing and are new to OS X 86 haha. I threw the kexts in and then rebooted and nothing but blackness showed up. So I went ahead and installed windows. I am picking up another hard drive Friday, so when I get that I am going to reinstall OS X and hopefully have some ideas of things to try. Anyone have any suggestions of were to even start?

Ok suggestion, don't try to install this if you have no idea what you are doing and are new to OS X 86 haha. I threw the kexts in and then rebooted and nothing but blackness showed up. So I went ahead and installed windows. I am picking up another hard drive Friday, so when I get that I am going to reinstall OS X and hopefully have some ideas of things to try. Anyone have any suggestions of were to even start?

Mmm i think you mobo should be same as mine, this mean you should have same config...atm i give up about osx, enjoyed summer ^^

Btw i was waiting jxa4508 for try his package, or understanding better exactly all steps to do, and if his comp run with Intel P35 as mine.

I think should be interesting try new release of JaS that can see in home of forum...but but from installation screen there is nothing for nvidia cards except usual generic drivers, and make me a bit angry seeing like 20 readon cards -.- so i dont have much hope, but ofc can be a try.

Imho, for see something really nice, need wait new official leo4all version and cross fingers they will keep an eye on this video card. I tried maybe all releases of osx, and i still think that leo4all is best.

Hmm so do different releases of OS X have different compatibilty? So should I just try different releases in hopes of finding a working one?

I am about to partion my hard drive and install windows on one and os x on the other again. If I do happen to run into a problem like earlier when I couldn't load OS X what should I do? Do I just have to re-install everything or what? Also whenever I tried it it would just have a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner and then another cursor that I could move around.

Wow I feel like an idiot now. I just looked around and found out that when it does that you usually have to run cpus=1 flag at boot.

Hello Everyone, Im glad dat i came across dis thread :) I also have a 9800GX2 and a 680i mobo. I have tried everything from iatkos v4 to iDeneb n i cant get my GPU to work properly. Although ideneb works n i can get into OS X, I kept getting Restart errors rite before the intro screen. I had to do the following, suggested by someone over at uphuck:

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -r /system/library/extensions/NVDAResman.kext

I dont know wat dat does, but is dat removing the kext? Anywho, dat got me into OSX but with no GPU strength at all, n my res is only 1024x768.

So I read wat Azamic said dat leo4allv3 is best for GX2 n plus the network works too. So im downloading it rite now, but i need some help as to wat i should choose during customization. Please see in my sig for my system's specs.

Also Azamic, im trying to understand your post #1 as to how to get the GX2 working but i dont quite understand. Im sorry but I dont know much about OS X n the codes n instructions on how to do things, so if u dont mind, pls walk me through it.

Thanks guys n much appreciated.

Whether people I can to force to work I wash video card (my card) how it is described in this branch of a forum? I tried variants which are described here. After installation the system defines video a card. But as soon as I open applications or simply I go on system, the system hangs. If to be on a desktop and nothing to open system works normally. Until then while I that be has not opened or has developed. In what there can be a problem?

motherboard: asus p5e

cpu: core 2 duo e8500 (3.16 ghz)

video: vga 9800 gx2

memory: kingston dominator ddr 2 4gb

kalyway 10.5.2 > combo update 10.5.3 (vanila kernel 9.3)