iPhone 3G on T-Mobile

iPhone 3G options.   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Get iPhone 3G, terminate contract and hope for a hack to use on T-Mobile
    • Switch to AT&T anyway, even though it costs much more and has a new contract requirement
    • Neither. Get the Nokia N96 (or HTC or X1-whatver is it)
    • Hope that somewhere in the world an unlocked one will be sold, and get it there.

6 posts in this topic

So, I just wanted to see if there were any other people out there who are planning on getting the 3G iPhone and promptly canceling their contract so as to get around the silly "in-store activation" rule that has be and many others very, very pissed off.

I should note that I've been out of contract on T-Mobile for FOUR years, and really like the freedom of not being on contract. My plan is $65 a month, and I get 1500 minutes, unlimited night and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, 1000 text messages, and t-zone internet. AT&T can't match it. Not even close.

So, it appears that a 16GB iPhone 3G will cost $299 + state/local tax + $175 early termination fee. So it will clearly be around $500 to run this bad boy on T-Mobile. ( I am assuming the 3G will be hacked just as the 1st gen was )

And now, the question: is that even worth it?

I'm gonna throw a poll up and read comments, because for me, it's that route, or wait for the Nokia N96. Thanks for the input everyone.

This is pretty worthless.

The iPhone 3G does not use the same bands as T-Mobile 3G. You would not be able to use it at 3G speeds on T-M.

Also, it is rumored that you will be required to return the 3G iphone, if you opt out within the 30 days, or end up with an expensive phone with no service if you terminate later. What other GSM carrier is there in the states?

-BB

This is pretty worthless.

The iPhone 3G does not use the same bands as T-Mobile 3G. You would not be able to use it at 3G speeds on T-M.

Also, it is rumored that you will be required to return the 3G iphone, if you opt out within the 30 days, or end up with an expensive phone with no service if you terminate later. What other GSM carrier is there in the states?

-BB

Wow I was really hoping you'd be wrong (no offense), but then I found:

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13807

Where I read:

"This carrier can't just release a 3G phone that's already on the market. In order to get the radio spectrum it needed to create a national 3G network, T-Mobile had to use a different frequency from the other U.S. carriers that offer UMTS and HSDPA service. This means that standard U.S. 3G phones won't be able to access T-Mobile's 3G network."

So I'm screwed. Wait... am I double screwed? If that last sentence is true, will the N96 even WORK on T-Mobile? Oh man this sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Berzerker. no matter how much you THINK you know about 3G. T-mobiles 3G will not work on Euro 2100 bands. which should work. It is a little bit off enough not to work. anyway. t-mobile is great. and i love symbian. to the first poster. they have a n95 american edition which will work tmobile. so the n96 should do that as well.

Berzerker. no matter how much you THINK you know about 3G. T-mobiles 3G will not work on Euro 2100 bands. which should work. It is a little bit off enough not to work. anyway. t-mobile is great. and i love symbian. to the first poster. they have a n95 american edition which will work tmobile. so the n96 should do that as well.

I know as much about 3G as you do. I wasn't guessing. I was talking for sure. T-Mobile's 3G uses the 1700MHz band for downlink and the 2100MHz band for uplink. The iPhone does not support the 1700MHz band and thusly, T-Mobile cannot be used with the iPhone for 3G, only 2G. That's all I was saying. I wasn't insulting anyone in any way.

I never said the N96 won't work. If it works, then more power to him.