ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

What is the earliest compatible OS update? I'm using 10.4.3 and the driver doesn't seem to be recognizing my card. Pretty sure I installed it right but no audio is recognized in System Profiler or in the audio System Prefs. Do I need to upgrade or could it be some other problem?

as far as I know the only card hardware we support is the 1002 4370

i think it'll work for others, you just need to put in your device id in the Info.plist file

Once we know what device id's work we'll include all the device ids in the driver

hope this helps

as far as i know 10.4.3 - 10.4.6

if it doesn't work on 10.4.3 i can compile it on a 10.4.4 install i have lying around so it has the right underlying frameworks

It's compiled on a 10.4.6 system. I'll have to go back and try that with the changing to 44100 Hz. Chrs, I have a version that changes all IOLog to DebugLog so you can turn some/all of them off. :thumbsdown_anim:

Ed, the PCI IDs that it should eventually work for are listed in the Linux atiixp.c file. We should probably put them in.

Hmm, this driver doesn't work with my DFI Infinity RS482 (Radeon Xpress 200 chipset). The kext is loaded, but I get a "no codec" error on boot. Oh well, I'm not too surprised. This board is turning out to be very OSx86 unfriendly.

Still, I'm impressed with all your hard work. And on an unrelated note. Since you're now able to tap into the southbridge for audio, would this make it easier to develop drivers for other southbridge related devices (i.e. SATA, etc?) for you or anyone else? Just curious. :)

good question, i'm not sure Dark.

as far as I know so far, the only related code to what we have right now would be the AC 97 56k modem the X200 chipset. As far as SATA and what-not, I'm not sure. If it works in LINUX / BSD (insert fav distro) then it is possible to get it to work in OSX. THat's the best I can say.

Can you send the entire debug log with regards to your system. it would be interesting to see what the code outputted for you.

Tariq, that's a whole new level of work for graphics. All I can say is get an add-in card if you can. Doing an audio driver for soemthing that's pretty well documented is quite a chore. I know that I don't have the skills right now to be able to do a graphics driver. It's unfortunate that the x200 isn't supported, but I don't know how much there is that we can do.

Out of curiosity, do you know if it works in any kind of open-source environment with acceleration? If it does then it may be possible to port that code, but you saw how much work it took omni, and I definitely think that he is a much more experienced coder than I am. Right now I believe it would be outside my skillset, but maybe dopefish has a different opinion on this.

Tariq, that's a whole new level of work for graphics. All I can say is get an add-in card if you can. Doing an audio driver for soemthing that's pretty well documented is quite a chore. I know that I don't have the skills right now to be able to do a graphics driver. It's unfortunate that the x200 isn't supported, but I don't know how much there is that we can do.

Out of curiosity, do you know if it works in any kind of open-source environment with acceleration? If it does then it may be possible to port that code, but you saw how much work it took omni, and I definitely think that he is a much more experienced coder than I am. Right now I believe it would be outside my skillset, but maybe dopefish has a different opinion on this.

Ed, I dunno about regular x200's, but the 200M-series chipsets are completely and utterly unsupported under the DRI project (acceleration for Xorg). Even ATI's "official" support is very, very, very bad. Really, unless by some miracle someone manages to document the command registers for the 200 series, they are dead in the water graphics-wise. If anyone does ever come up with the registers and the command set, I'll gladly take on the project.

Ed, I dunno about regular x200's, but the 200M-series chipsets are completely and utterly unsupported under the DRI project (acceleration for Xorg). Even ATI's "official" support is very, very, very bad. Really, unless by some miracle someone manages to document the command registers for the 200 series, they are dead in the water graphics-wise. If anyone does ever come up with the registers and the command set, I'll gladly take on the project.

Yea, 9100 and other card with any official ati driver suport work with dri, i get almost 30fps with flurry and 2 with the same setting on osx. XGL also work fine with the accelerated GL but only in 2d because XGL dont suport DRI

Sweet it is working with ATI IXP Conexant Audio Drivers 4370 1002

AppleAC97AudioATIIXP::startDMAEngine: DMA already running

[sF: 3938e]

[sF: 39394]

AppleAC97AudioEnginePCMOut::performAudioEngineStop

AppleAC97AudioDriver::performPowerStateChange old=2 new=1

AppleAC97AudioDriver::powerChangeThreadAction old=2 new=1

AppleAC97AudioDriver::lowerPowerState (1)

IOAC97AudioCodec::lowerPowerState state = 1

some of my debug message not showing up though

thanks guys!!!!

GUYSSSS IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!!!!!

I Have sound finally, now i can enjoy my mac os x....

You guys are great, may god be pleased with this deed(jazakAllahu khayran).

Damn this is greatttttttttt

Mad props guys, seriously edflyer dopefish scousi tariq(file :angel:)

Can any ony tell me why it wont work for me it said that the driver was not recanized our something like that you know when you get an erro when you load up os x an ot gives you an message about an extiontions that was not loaded right ,thats waht happen for me. I have an ATi radon 200 chip set.

New release!

First of all, this is a .tar.bz2 that has been zipped. Yes, that's right, three different compression programs. Only to upload a simple little bzipped, tarred directory. *rolls eyes* So you'll have to unzip it (if Mac doesn't do that automatically), then extract the tar and unpack it. Secondly, I think I fixed some of the delay issues, and I included ***EXPERIMENTAL*** 6-channel support. It has NOT been tested, because I don't have a 6-channel capable card. Lastly, all IOLog messages have been changed to DebugLog statements, so those of you who want to eliminate the logging can do so. Keep me posted on how things are going, and I'll keep plugging away on bugfixes and testing until this thing works for all the people the Linux drivers work for.

Tariq, if you can actually get the register set for this POS graphics card, you are :D .

ATIAppleAC97Audio.tar.bz2.zip

Just tested the newly uploaded drivers and it seems that it initializes when the sound starts but sometimes there is a lag when it gets initialzed. Either that or it initializes late.

I can hear the difference between this release and the previous release. This release seems to be more active.