2012: The Year The Internet Ends

90 posts in this topic

Are you trying to convince us, or yourself?

They own the lines that the data travels over and go in your house, they can do pretty much anything that they want.

I don't think in all cases the lines are owned by the ISP, otherwise it'd be rather a hassle changing providers, but, they do control the data that is sent through them, however, I can't realistically see ISP's being able to pull this off, you aren't limited to who you can phone on a phone line, yet they could change that if they really wanted for profit, if it was changed people would probably complain in an uproar and it would be forcibly changed, I believe something similar would happen if this did happen, the internet companies that attempted it would lose customers and then there would be a bottleneck point where they had to stop manipulating the data or they would lose more than they gain, there's also probably enough awareness to prevent this from happening and it is also apparent that Google is a supporter of Net Neutrality so they would probably take some steps against it with the amount of money they have. I am aware however that Virgin Media in the UK is trying to manipulate data already which is rather worrying.

I doubt that the Government would ever let this happen. There would be a huge consumer backlash! No one would vote for them, and that is a Government's biggest nightmare.

When you say consumers... do you think your mum would care if she was only able to access a handful of sites?

will have bigger problems before 2012,...

this be just another nail in the coffin,...

welcome to the global prison!

there is not Internet in detention ,....

they already control all the media,

can't think of any reason, why total isolation needs to be imposed,....

unless the threat is so great, that any delay will give them control, no matter the cost (lives).

• 1 month later...

killbot1000, I like your ideas about personal archival of all things important and useful... I've been sorta doing similar things, to a lesser degree.

as JohnTheSavage might be right - you never know when they might just pull the plug...

So to ALL of you reading, who have any concern over this kind of issue, I say this:

OPEN SOURCE INTERNET - get to work!

This concept is do-able, and all who have the knowledge/skill should invest some of their time to keep the world's information FREE!

Listen: we all know that networking hardware and software is commonly available, such as routers, servers, Server OS's, etc...

and we know how to use it *EDIT* whoops, DarkCarnival already said most of this already

Why not develop an open source community model for the uninterrupted continuation of free global networking?

It might not ever be as good as what we have now, or at least maybe not for a long time, but if the hammer drops... then at least we'd have something!

I, for one, do not doubt the level of corporate greed and gov't intrusiveness exists enough to make this a reality, over time. But we'll see in the long run if it does. Meanwhile, we can generate plans to have servers and some kind of private radio uplinks to clusters of networks, IDK exactly what it would require off the top of my head. But the original Internet was obviously built with much older technology than what any of us can buy from Newegg...

At the very least, we could modulate sounds over HAM radio the way modems do over phone lines (converting digital to analog to digital) to send data over long distances. Hacker networks in the USA could eventually connect to free countries overseas to relink a World Wide Web... ETC

DukeRaoul

It sounds great, but I am not technically qualified to say how doable everything would be.

But OTOH a determined, knowledgeable group of people should be able to start all over again, if the worst comes to the worst.

Heck, if people weren't sheep, we would use open source only, instead of being slaves of huge corporations.

But just look at this forum: so many people not only are slaves, but "happy slaves" even.

They attack what could make them free and don't realize how serious things are.

DukeRaoul

It sounds great, but I am not technically qualified to say how doable everything would be.

But OTOH a determined, knowledgeable group of people should be able to start all over again, if the worst comes to the worst.

Heck, if people weren't sheep, we would use open source only, instead of being slaves of huge corporations.

But just look at this forum: so many people not only are slaves, but "happy slaves" even.

They attack what could make them free and don't realize how serious things are.

I completely agree!

• 1 month later...

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-10073404-12.html

Looks like Comcast is increasing their speeds by a lot, charging up the ass, and leaving the download cap in place. hmmm....

(If you reach the cap, your access is cut off for a year)

Isn't this the kind of stuff we were talking about on this thread months ago, the kind of stuff that would start to happen? It's kind of scary, really...

This Bandwidth restriction is just the same old story of capitalism all over again. Artificial scarcity to artificially increase the value of something (internet), and then charging up the ass for that something to pocket a nice little sum for one's self.

THIS BANDWIDTH SHORTAGE IS NOT REAL. Why else would Comcast put a download cap in place, make their service faster within a year, and leave the download cap in place anyway, while at the same time saying that only 1% of customers reach that limit. Its contradictory. If only 1% of customers use that much in a month, then there isn't a bandwidth problem, so why the cap? If Comcast is increasing their speeds by double or more, jacking up the price, and leaving the cap in place anyway, this is by definition an artificial scarcity used only as a tool to drive up the price of the service. This is put in play so that people WILL go over their limit and will have to pay some sort of excessive fee to Comcast.

I wish the internet all the best.

• 3 weeks later...