Found a USB wireless with Antenna that works out of box!

Times_Infinity

8 posts in this topic

I went snoopin on Newegg for a good usb wireless that would be compatible with Leopard.

Soo...I went on and I found one with an antenna.

I was like, Whoa, its got an antenna.

Heres the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833164015

I looked up the chipset, and it says it has a broadcom chipset, So I said, Hey why not give it a try, It should work right? But then I scroll down a little bit and I find this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833164020

Same exact one basically, but its for Mac!!

Its sold out on newegg right now.

You can buy it straight from the retailer, or go looking for it somewhere else.

Yay! I found one! Even if it is for Mac Users!

This all sounds good have you gotten it to work in Leopard?

I bought one yesterday May 19 2008. It seems your mistaken about the chipset. It uses a Ralink chip which requires drivers so isn't Mac Native. It comes with drivers for Mac OSX 10.3 & 10.4 . There is a insert in the box telling you where to download Leopard drivers. It works really well in Tiger 10.4 on both my old Power Mac B&W and HackInosh. Sadly it doesn't even show up in Leopard the drivers don't work. Free phone support is friendly but had no solution telling me the driver works for others and no new driver is available. They did say send us an email and we will look into it. They will have to be fast as it going back to Fry's soon. I don't need a second Tiger only Wireless card .

Yes...I use that Hawking adapter w/ 10.5.1 and works great....

I went to the website to d/load the most current 10.5.1 drivers...just have to plug it in to the usb AFTER boot

post-221200-1211380143_thumb.jpg

I'm glad some one got this to work. For the record I pointed out there were drivers for Leopard to download. I spend 2 days emailing and phoning tech support. For what ever reason it refused to work at all on my machine with 10.5.2 . Didn't have 10.5.1 anymore to check . So I returned it and got the Macsense AeroLife plus USB. It looks a lot like the hawkings but uses Zydas chip. MacWireless offering seems the same. Worked out the box and picks up 1/2 the neighborhood way more then my old Power Mac only USB .

So has anyone been able to get this adapter to work with 10.5.2? I just went out and bought one from Best Buy for like $30... Doesn't seem to want to work for me.

System Profiler shows this device under USB, as a "802.11 bg WLAN"

Under the description for the device it shows the following:

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Ralink

Product ID: 0x2573

Vendor ID: 0x148f

Meanwhile, when I open up the HWUG1 Wireless Utility it comes up with No Device found. Any ideas anyone? Kind of upsetting that I can't get this thing to work OR my WMP54GS... *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...