MSI Wind - Best solution for osx86 on a sub-notebook?

108 posts in this topic

Still have my wind on preorder. :) But im keeping an eye out on the osx86 developments on it. I have to say im impressed with the results so far. Seems only wifi and headphone/mic are left on the list. Anyway looking foward to custom installer.

Recommended Buy!

My MSI Wind is very stable, albeit the very minor issues (WiFi, mic and headphones jacks) with available and subsequent workarounds, this machine is incredible.

Had a hard time getting it a good price, but atlas, I got one.

Best wishes to all who plan to buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been looking at this thing for a bit now to see how it all plays out and I've come up with a couple of concerns:

1. Is there a specific model of this machine that runs that Realtek wireless card?

2. Do any of them still run the Synaptics touchpad instead of this Sentelic touchpad without gestures and whatnot?

3. Apparently there are workarounds for the headphone / mic jack - so some of you have this working completely now?

I'm trying to help put something together for my sister to replace her iBook, which has given us all sorts of problems (I've flowed some solder to fix the power and added a rubber foot to press against a loose chip on the board to keep the machine from randomly shutting down), for Christmas.

She really just surfs the internet, does schoolwork, and watches movies or listens to music (hence my concern over audio and the wireless).

I'd like to end up with 2GB of RAM, working wireless, and working audio on a stable setup. The CPU speed is not as important.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi: I'm looking for some help. I have installed kalyway 10.5.2 on my MSI Wind. I'm dual booting with my Vista installation. I have run the 10.5.3.update and 10.5.4 update from Apple. It runs fine, but I have several driver issues. I can't set 1024 X 600 video, I can't seem to get sound drivers installed, and there is a strange time problem. The odd thing is that during installation sound was working and the screen resolution seemed just fine. The time issue conflicts with my Vista install. It is a 7 hour discrepancy, apparently tied to my Mountain time zone (-7 hours from GMT) If I set the clock properly in Vista, the Mac shows the time as seven hours earlier. If I correct the time on the Mac, then Vista shows it as 7 hours later. I really want to get this to work, so I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

mark(at)skiandsail(dot)com

Hi: I'm looking for some help. I have installed kalyway 10.5.2 on my MSI Wind. I'm dual booting with my Vista installation. I have run the 10.5.3.update and 10.5.4 update from Apple. It runs fine, but I have several driver issues. I can't set 1024 X 600 video, I can't seem to get sound drivers installed, and there is a strange time problem. The odd thing is that during installation sound was working and the screen resolution seemed just fine. The time issue conflicts with my Vista install. It is a 7 hour discrepancy, apparently tied to my Mountain time zone (-7 hours from GMT) If I set the clock properly in Vista, the Mac shows the time as seven hours earlier. If I correct the time on the Mac, then Vista shows it as 7 hours later. I really want to get this to work, so I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

The time changing is because of the different ways that the Mac OS and Windows interpret the onboard RTC clock. The way I fixed it long ago was to install the BootCamp drivers in Windows. I'm sure there are other utilities or ways such as having the system set to auto poll an NTP source on startup for each OS. This of course would require a constant internet connection.

I'm *this* close to ordering a Wind to replace my G4 800mhz iBook that is on its way out. It would be a glorious return to the Hackintosh community as I have switched to *real* Mac's for the last several months. The MacBook is too pricey for what I want/need. I still like the idea of a MacBook mini or nano.

-Shrapnel

Thanks

I have a LG X110 (clone of msi wind) and just solving the vga problem.

Follow this steps

Go to

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127615

Download the file Intel_Drivers.working.zip ( 619.23K included all kexts)

Install them (kexthelper is very good for this job)

Repair permissions

The next thing it's fixing the resolution

I tried the method from

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/installing-ideneb-1-3-1000h

I dowloaded ftom there the Post-Install (7MB) and after uzip it i choose only

the application SwitchResX from Apps folder nothing else.

It's possible that you'll have a strange 800x600 resolution. Don't worry, we'll fix that.

* Install "SwitchResX"

* Launch "SwitchResX" property panel

* Go to "Custom" and click on the plus sign "+"

* Create a custom resolution. Only change the "Pixel Clock "to 60 and the resolution to 1024x600 and hit OK.

* Click "Apply"

* Launch "OSx86 Tool"

* Select "Enable/Disable Quartz GL"

* Click on "Enable Quartz GL"

* Reboot

Thats it!!

I hope to help you..

hi,

i'm having a weird problem, thought this is the best way to ask for some help.

i have msiwindosx86 installed, with the latest updates, and everything seems to be working fine. one problem is that in the displays.prefpane i only see 1024x600.

now, this should not be a major problem, you might say, but i use some resolution-changing apps and games too. some apps can change the resolution, but 800x600 is misplaced on the screen, some refuse to launch, and cider games quit without displaying anything.

it might be only a problem in some .plist, but i'm not into osx deep enough to know where these settings are stored. might as well be a driver problem, but then this is the only issue. the strangest thing is when i plug in my external monitor, it still dosen't offer me 800x600 or 640x480. back when i was using a previous install, everything was fine.

i tried reinstalling every gma950 and integratedframebuffer .kext i could find, but the problem persists.

could someone please help me or at least say i'm not alone with this?

thanks,

bamdad

(this is a replica of my post at http://forums.msiwind.net/post63236.html#p63236. if i should've started a new thread or there's a problem with posting this here, please let me know.)