HP Envy 15" Fails any OSX install! Help.

DanteDrac

71 posts in this topic

Alrighty guys I have tried everything I know to get OSX installed on this laptop. Please help!

I have downloaded many different prebuilt iso, iATKOS_v7, iPC X-DL OSX86 10.5.6 LiveDVD, leo4allv3. None of these work.

I have also tried to follow the USB method here for Snow Leopard installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86. Nothing works.

Basically it will show the initial darwin screen but when you hit enter to load into the osx installer is go black and then reboots. I have tried all the boot flags there are, -v -s -x etc......to no avail.

This laptop is brand new and uses a core i7 Q720. The motherboard chipset is a PM55. GPU = ATI 4830 1gb gddr3.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yo. Hopefully you check this again. I want this laptop if OS X runs on it.

So, first things first. You need to go into your BIOS and disable all but one of your processor's cores. I hope they let you do this. If you can do that and turn off hyperthreading, you should be able to boot. If you can boot and install then you can patch your DSDT so that you can turn on your 4 cores and HT again. If you want to boot one of those junky distros, then boot with these flags: -v cpus=1 busratio=20

I'm hoping that's the right busratio, it should be.

Also--start researching your parts and kexts (OS X drivers) that you need to make them work. Example: Search above for "PM55" or ATI 4830. See if people recommend using certain kexts or other methods for making them work in OS X.

So, first things first. You need to go into your BIOS and disable all but one of your processor's cores. I hope they let you do this. If you can do that and turn off hyperthreading, you should be able to boot. If you can boot and install then you can patch your DSDT so that you can turn on your 4 cores and HT again. If you want to boot one of those junky distros, then boot with these flags: -v cpus=1 busratio=20

Hello tweak41,

thanks for that advice, I couldn't boot the iPC 10.5.6 install CD on my new HP DV8-1090ef (with core i7-720QM), the computer was rebooting.

Now it boots and the install tools seem to work !

Ideally, I'd like to directly boot and install my retail DVD of Snow Leopard, do you know if I'll need to do the same operation in order for it to boot ?

cheers from France

EDIT: For information, in the bios of my HP, there is no option to disable multi-core or threads. But the cpus=1 busratio=20 worked anyway.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm planning to buy the HP Envy if it can be used with Snow Leo. The reason why this laptop seems to be that appealing, can be seen in its expansibility; in particular 16 GB RAM (yah, there is a need for that, f.ex. orchestral multi-samples, working in Logic).

Unfortunately chances are quite low that Apple could introduce a laptop like this; so that's why I'm curious about the Envy.

Any succesful OSX installs on a HP Envy i7 out there? In general how is the situation with i7 720qm installs on other HP laptops?

Hp is known for its bad BIOS implementations, which makes me wonder if it can be done.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Maestroso.

Hello tweak41,

thanks for that advice, I couldn't boot the iPC 10.5.6 install CD on my new HP DV8-1090ef (with core i7-720QM), the computer was rebooting.

Now it boots and the install tools seem to work !

Ideally, I'd like to directly boot and install my retail DVD of Snow Leopard, do you know if I'll need to do the same operation in order for it to boot ?

cheers from France

EDIT: For information, in the bios of my HP, there is no option to disable multi-core or threads. But the cpus=1 busratio=20 worked anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm also looking at getting this computer. To complicate matters, they have now updated it to generation 2. This comes with an ATI Radeon Mobility 5830 and USB 3 ports. Still considering it for the power and price. I'm gonna keep following this for a possible hackintosh this computer vs waiting for the next macbook pro (hopefully soon). Keep me informed how this goes.

I was told by a fellow that it kinda works halfways. He's using OS X as a virtual machine under Windows and has never tried to install this beautiful thing natively - just because he couldn't see any reason for doing it. Presumably he is able to allocate at least 8 GB of RAM to the VM and really enjoying the speed of the Laptop.

Although this sounds a bit optimistic to me, I believe him and set my hopes on this so that chances are getting lower and lower for me buying a real fruit.

The apparent change between the 1st and 2nd generation seems to be a new build of the PM55 express chipset, namely the HM55 as far as I understood. Unfortunately it remains unknown how it does effect compatibility with Snow Kitty.

Still I haven't found someone who would have got it installed natively.

But maybe they are out there? The hidden Envys?

Best,

Maestroso.

First.

HP Envy is not expensive compared to MBP. You can configure Envy with i7, 6GB RAM, SSD, 1GB GPU, full HD, for aprox. 2.500$.

Second.

Wireless won't work because of Intel wifi card, it's 5100. But that's not big problem because you can swap it with Dell's wifi cards, like I did.

Wireless won't work because of Intel wifi card, it's 5100. But that's not big problem because you can swap it with Dell's wifi cards, like I did.

Do I understand you correctly by assuming that you own an Envy (-> mentioning the WiFi issue and Dell - "like I did").

If yes, would you share some experiences with this laptop and OS X?

Thanks!

Do I understand you correctly by assuming that you own an Envy (-> mentioning the WiFi issue and Dell - "like I did").

If yes, would you share some experiences with this laptop and OS X?

Thanks!

Not exactly, I have Sager np8660 with Intel 5300 wireless card. But I do like Envy, maybe next time I'll buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Alrighty guys I have tried everything I know to get OSX installed on this laptop. Please help!

I have downloaded many different prebuilt iso, iATKOS_v7, iPC X-DL OSX86 10.5.6 LiveDVD, leo4allv3. None of these work.

I have also tried to follow the USB method here for Snow Leopard installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86. Nothing works.

Basically it will show the initial darwin screen but when you hit enter to load into the osx installer is go black and then reboots. I have tried all the boot flags there are, -v -s -x etc......to no avail.

This laptop is brand new and uses a core i7 Q720. The motherboard chipset is a PM55. GPU = ATI 4830 1gb gddr3.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

sounds like we have similar hardware I have an i7 720qm 1g raedon 4650 pm55 chipset in a dell 1747 studio and I got kalyway 10.5.2 up and running just fine. from there did the old boot loader using efi 10.5 and upgraded to 10.6 snow leopard using the chocolate kernal

so there's hope good luck!

Or you could read the many pages out there that tell you how to do it yourself.....

I have never patched a DSDT file but I am going to next week when I get my new lappy down. Seems easily done with all the programs and help out there...

Or you could read the many pages out there that tell you how to do it yourself.....

I have never patched a DSDT file but I am going to next week when I get my new lappy down. Seems easily done with all the programs and help out there...

I dont really know how todo it.

Would like if someone who knows how to do it, patches the copy i uploaded!!"

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with installing Snow Leopard on my Dell Studio XPS 16 as it has similar spec to the envy 15:

Intel core i7 720qm (obvious problem of getting hyper threading to work with snow), PM55 mobo, Ati raedon 4670, Samsung SSD PB22-JS3 (128gb), fortunately a dell wireless 1397 which i believe uses a broadcom chip as opposed to the the intel, broadcom netlink gigabit ethernet, (4gb DDR3 1333mhz - although this shouldn't make any difference to installing snow leopard) and IDT high definition audio - I think that's the important stuff.

My question is first obviously, how do I get this to install on my laptop preferably in dual boot with windows 7 but also, my mouse pad is Synaptics and support multi-touch i.e. i can use it for multi-touch in windows (pinch zooming etc.), would I be able to use it's multi touch capability in snow leopard. As i understand, with many mouse pads although they are capacitive, the hardware doesn't allow for "multiple spot recognition" whereas mine clearly does so..

First of all thanks for any help in advance. Secondly, I'm fairly novice in the sense that I've only ever installed mac on my pc (which has p45 chipset p5q-pro which has plenty of support) and that was os x 10.5 with a pretty straight forward guide.

thanks ;)

(NB sorry if it seems I'm taking the attention off the main topic, i just think that any method that works for studio xps 16 would work for envy 15 too and vice versa - also I'm a bit lost as to where to start, thanks anyways guys!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i want to try instaling snow leopard retail version on my HP ENVY 15.. anyone can help me for instruction.?? i dont wanna losing my HP browser, email thats running before windows start..

Hi guys.

I can say I have been able to install and run updated 10.6.3 SL on my HP ENVY 15 1050ES.

I ve been able to do it with PC EFI 10.6 and Hazards 10.6.2 64bit installation DVD.

Updated through Apple updates to 10.3.1 via macbookpro smbios.plist.

I yet have to make the audio, wifi, Fully Graphics.

Graphics work with GraphicsEnable PCEFI implementation, No kext working for ATI Mobility Radeon HD4830.

Will try EFI injection soon.

4 CPU Not fully working, only cpu=1

Webcam working

Ethernet Working

Bluetooth working

FULL USB Working

Trackpad working, without multitouch

Battery Meter working

Sleep Not working

GRAPHICS

Modelo de chipset: Unknown

Tipo: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Ranura: Slot-1

Anchura de canal PCIe: x8

VRAM (total): 1024 MB

Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)

ID del dispositivo: 0x94a0

ID de la revisión: 0x0000

Revisión de la ROM: 113-B7710C-176

Versión del driver EFI: 01.00.318

Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Resolución: 1366 x 768

Profundidad de píxel: Color de 32 bits (ARGB8888)

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Conector de pantalla:

Información del hardware:

Nombre del modelo: MacBook Pro

Identificador del modelo: MacBookPro6,1

Velocidad del procesador: 1,6 GHz

Número de procesadores: 1

Número total de núcleos: 4

Caché de nivel 2: 128 KB

Caché de nivel 3: 768 KB

Memoria: 4 GB

Velocidad del bus: 1,33 GHz

Versión de la ROM de arranque: MBP51.5671.B99

Versión SMC (sistema): 1.30f3

Número de serie (sistema): W834765J1GA

UUID de hardware: DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D

Versión del sistema: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D2094)

Versión del kernel: Darwin 10.3.1

Volumen de arranque: Snow Leopard

Modo de arranque: Normal

Nombre del ordenador: Miguel s Mac Pro

Nombre de usuario: Miguel Ayuso (Miguel)

Memoria virtual segura: Activado

Extensiones y kernel de 64 bits: Sí

Tiempo desde el arranque: 6 minutos

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys.

I can say I have been able to install and run updated 10.6.3 SL on my HP ENVY 15 1050ES.

I ve been able to do it with PC EFI 10.6 and Hazards 10.6.2 64bit installation DVD.

is your ENVY IOS still running? how about your recovery partition? are you make multiboot with windows?