EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED: ATI 3850/70 MEGADLON FB !

mitch_de

81 posts in this topic

I made an new EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED with TRIAKIS( i not recommend anymore since 10.5.5) and MEGADOLON support for ATI 3850/3870 512 MB.

Both names are name for different framebuffer - problems with framebuffer may give blue screen or scrambled screen.

You dont need NATIT anymore (often also makes problems!). Delete it if you have it in extensions.

You can add ETHERNET Device which fixes TIMEMACHINE , then add 3850 MEGA.... Grafik Device and let the tool create your efistring in the boot.plist.

:D The ETHERNET device efistring , i didnt know that before (i used before that modded but very old IONET...kext TM fix ) can really named TIMEMACHINE_FIX , it sets the ethernet to build in=true , which IONET.KEXT always sets build in=false at boottime without efistring for ETHERNET Device.

I tested both with 10.5.6 :

Timemachine now works again (with orig. newest 10.5.6 IONET...kext) and orig. newest OpenGL/ ATI 10.5.6 drivers.

:(

HINT: The new great pcwiz UniversalInstaller has a bug, cant make both EFISTR TM_FIX+ EFISTR GPU. It only creates one string, even both sould be created.

Attatched EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED .sitx.zip (smaller) / also as .zip (small)

EDIT: May also work for ATI 3870 (also use 3850 Megadlon Selction)

DL today didnt work. Tried to upload again - not working. Must be a problem of the forum !

I will upload it later again.

Bild_159.jpg

I made an new EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED with TRIAKIS( i not recommend anymore since 10.5.5) and MEGADOLON support for ATI 3850/3870 512 MB.

Both names are name for different framebuffer - problems with framebuffer may give blue screen or scrambled screen.

You dont need NATIT anymore (often also makes problems!). Delete it if you have it in extensions.

You can add ETHERNET Device which fixes TIMEMACHINE , then add 3850 MEGA.... Grafik Device and let the tool create your efistring in the boot.plist.

:idea: The ETHERNET device efistring , i didnt know that before (i used before that modded but very old IONET...kext TM fix ) can really named TIMEMACHINE_FIX , it sets the ethernet to build in=true , which IONET.KEXT always sets build in=false at boottime without efistring for ETHERNET Device.

I tested both with 10.5.6 :

Timemachine now works again (with orig. newest 10.5.6 IONET...kext) and orig. newest OpenGL/ ATI 10.5.6 drivers.

;)

HINT: The new great pcwiz UniversalInstaller has a bug, cant make both EFISTR TM_FIX+ EFISTR GPU. It only creates one string, even both sould be created.

Attatched EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED

EDIT: May also work for ATI 3870 (also use 3850 Megadlon Selction)

Thank's. Could you post in ZIP no sitx please ?

Thanks, Megadolon is working great on my GeCube 3850 PCI-E, TRIAKIS and NATIT both failed. I am happy I can use my ATI card in OSX now. Only one slight problem, every now and then, with this framebuffer, the screen goes black and the only way to get back to the desktop is to reset the PC. :D

Thanks, Megadolon is working great on my GeCube 3850 PCI-E, TRIAKIS and NATIT both failed. I am happy I can use my ATI card in OSX now. Only one slight problem, every now and then, with this framebuffer, the screen goes black and the only way to get back to the desktop is to reset the PC. ;)

Hmmm black screen after some time ?

Perhaps try to disable sleep of monitor for searching an solution.

This preference is in the Systemsetting / Energie (icon lamp).

I would first try to set monitor to never sleep.

If that helps, perhaps look at BIOS settings for power saving, like wake on PCIe + Mouse, try to set it on.

For me also 3850 512 MB MSI card, monitor also goes black (i set 10 minutes) but went back if i move mouse.

Even real sleep (whole PC sleeps, all off (S3 in BIOS, suspend to RAM) works for me. I use chameleon, PC-EFI V9 sleep/wake didnt worked for me.

Screen shows normal after waking up (takes a few sekonds).

does your PC can sleep / wake up ?

After i installed 10.5.6. it gives blue screen with working mouse pointer.

help

0. What card do you use ?

1. You must delete any NATIT.KEXT or NVCRUSH.KEXT if you want use efistring for gpu.

2. Which EFI Selection for ATI .... do you use ? (normal is Lamna, TRIAKIS= Triakis , MEGADLON=Megadlon) ?

3. Does the mouse cursor stay within the blue screen or can you let the cursor "disapear over the left / right border" ?

If yes what you see perhaps is the second screen, without Menü and dock.

Maybe ist works on the other DVI (or VGA) port , most gpus have 2 of them.

You must shutdown the PC, because ATi cant handle DVI port switch on the fly.

0. I have MSI based ati radeon 3850 256 mb

1. I did not install any injectors

2. Tried both lamna and megakodon with same result,only triakis is working in 10.5.2

3 .No it does'nt disappear.

Tried both ports, i am using dvi to vga converter

Thanks

0. I have MSI based ati radeon 3850 256 mb

1. I did not install any injectors

2. Tried both lamna and megakodon with same result,only triakis is working in 10.5.2

3 .No it does'nt disappear.

Tried both ports, i am using dvi to vga converter

Thanks

Perhaps the VRAM 256 insted of 512 (all EFI ATI 38XX have 512 MB!) is a problem ?

To fix that:

1. Start EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED again

2. select Grafik device (if you really have less than 10.5.5) Triakis 512 MB.

3. You see the readable plist text, look for part of the 3850 / triakis

4. change VRAM 512 to 256 (may occour more than one time)

5 let again create the studio the efistring (now with 256 MB)

Also check if you have really triakis.kext (or Megadlon in ATIRNDRV.KEXT)) in the ATINDRV.KEXT !!!

kextstat (Terminal command) show you if the right (Triakis or Megadlon for >= 10.5.5) is loaded !!)

If not it may be also a problem if efistring links to triakis but no plugin is available!

I atteched an ATINDRV.KEXT which has it sure inside.

If nothing works, I would really plan to upgrade to higher OS X Version! All three items: OpenGL Framework, ATI Drivers und the Framebuffers (within ATIRNDRV.KEXT (Megadlon) , ATINDRV.KEXT (Lamna, Triakis) working together and if something does not fit (because of some not perfekt ATIXXX.pkg or not good OSX86 Install DVDs) you get a lot of problems.

ATINDRV.kext.zip

Same result.

It seems i have to live without QE/CI

Thanks for help

Whats the output of kextstat ?

beside the

com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 (5.3.6) driver

you should find some

com.apple.kext.ATY_Megalodon (1.5.66) !!!! (can also be ATY_Lamna, ATY_Triakis)

Which drivers (ATY and ATIRa...) are loaded ?

• 2 weeks later...

Attempting to use for my PCIe HD3850 256MB. Using 10.5.6 (iPC OSX86)

So all I need to do is make sure there is not a NATIT.kext or NVCRUSH.kext, add the string for 3850 512_Megadlon with EFI_Extended, and it hopefully works?

And is the ATY_Megalodon.kext needed in both the ATIRNDRV.kext and in the ATINDRV.kext?

I installed a 512mb Sapphire HD 3870 and it is working with the "ATI Radeon HD 3800_MEGADOLON - 512MB" EFI String. I edited the XML for my particular card:

f_Picture4m_9e8daa6.png

I was using one of lastExile's installers previously. That installer has no fan management, but this string seems to have some - the fan stops spinning from time to time. I'll definitely have to pick up a silent cooler for this puppy.

A couple questions:

1. How do you initially install an ATI card? I tried doing a fresh install, but I got a scrambled screen upon booting. I tried -f and -x, but just got gobbly-gook on the screen. I ended up using one of my NVIDIA cards for the initial installation in VESA mode, then installing the ATI driver, then rebooting and install the ATI card.

2. Is there any better fan management for ATI? Mine seems to go either full-tilt or stop spinning.

I have a 3850 MSI Card and also experienced the blue screen and garbled screen on first install. I then redid the install using an older ati 800XL card and using the stock ati driver in iDeneb and iPC and that booted up and worked. Perhaps there is a problem with MSI cards? I am going to give mitch_de process a go and see what happens.

Glad to here that your 3870 worked using the efi string method.

Efi String is modern method and has less sideeffects / problems as using natit or any other injector kext.

I dont know if 2000Xt can work with Megadolon FB or uses/needs Lamna FB.

I would ask LASTEXILE (user name) with personal message - he knows that i think.

Now i use dsdt patching method for my ATI 3850 , which is similar to efi string but made by on the flay bios dsdt patch (PCEFI V9 / chameleon with dsdt , can do that). So i dont have (same as using efi string) to use natit.kext.

cool!

so.... how to made the same hex file for 2000xt?

Ressourced for that:

Ask LASTEXILE , he ´s a profi for that content of key in natit or efi pre-plists (means readable, not the hex string)!

If oyu have an natit.kext , you can use that keys of an same dev-id card to make those own pre-plist.

I say pre-plist because in this efistudio (finder : show content) there are all selectable cards, which have already

an pre-plist there.

You can take one of them pre-plists and put the .plist keys for your card from natit to an owN , by duplicate an an existing pre-plist named to your card, pre-plist.

After that you have one more seltectable gpu entry in the STUDIO available and can make your efi gfx str by one click.

But, as said you need information what keys (type are same as other ATI 2XXXX, but diverent key content + sure different dev-id .