Asus EEE 900 and Leopard OSx86

diamondsw

11 posts in this topic

Hello, all. I'm planning on picking up an EEE 900 when they ship later this month, and as a side project I'd like to see if I can get Leopard up and running on it. I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers...

1. First of all, has anyone here installed Leopard on an EEE (one of the current 7-inch models)? The 900 appears to be the 700 with some tweaks (albeit needed ones, like the larger screen size and the CPU is no longer underclocked), so I'm assuming anything that works on the 700 will work on the 900.
  2. Any recommendations on an image to use? I'm intrigued by Leo4All v3, which should be showing up around when the EEE comes out.
  3. Is it possible to boot Leopard from a USB stick? Or even better from an SD-card? If so, what is performance like? I'd prefer to leave the internal partitions as pristine as possible.
  4. Finally, is there any decent way of installing it without connecting a USB DVD-ROM? For instance, can I write the ISO to a USB stick and boot from that? Or am I just making an already difficult process that much more complex?

Thanks everyone - looking forward to my first ultraportable since my old Duo 2300c. :wacko:

Hello, all. I'm planning on picking up an EEE 900 when they ship later this month, and as a side project I'd like to see if I can get Leopard up and running on it. I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers...
  1. First of all, has anyone here installed Leopard on an EEE (one of the current 7-inch models)? The 900 appears to be the 700 with some tweaks (albeit needed ones, like the larger screen size and the CPU is no longer underclocked), so I'm assuming anything that works on the 700 will work on the 900.
  2. Any recommendations on an image to use? I'm intrigued by Leo4All v3, which should be showing up around when the EEE comes out.
  3. Is it possible to boot Leopard from a USB stick? Or even better from an SD-card? If so, what is performance like? I'd prefer to leave the internal partitions as pristine as possible.
  4. Finally, is there any decent way of installing it without connecting a USB DVD-ROM? For instance, can I write the ISO to a USB stick and boot from that? Or am I just making an already difficult process that much more complex?

Thanks everyone - looking forward to my first ultraportable since my old Duo 2300c. :)

I did install OS X on my EEE 701 a while ago. 900 hardware is basically same as 701. Unfortunately, OS X on EEE is not very usable because of some timing issues with the system, it runs unresponsive (hard to describe) due to bug in OS X with <1ghz CPUs (i think), it is even worse when CPU runs at 900mhz (I have the bios that can change between 630 and 900mhz).

I don't recommend Leopard, because there are no GMA900 drivers for it (no QE/CI). You can run Tiger on some old kernels (10.4.8 is the newest one that can boot I think), anything with HPET enabled doesn't work with EEE.

You can install from a USB disk to SD card (SD card is fully recognized by OS X) or to SSD. SD is much slower than SSD obviously.

My advice is don't buy an EEE for running OSX, otherwise its a great ultraportable.

I suggest installing any Linux distribution on your EEE PC. Ubuntu with compiz works better and way faster than the Mac OS X GUI.

The EEE PC was built to run linux perfectly. Your hardware will be supported at 100% with the most common distributions of Linux.

And with a CPU clocked at 900Mhz, its very stable.

• 1 month later...

Hawker, did you give it a go anyway? How did you get on? Anybody know if the wifi works with osx on these...

I have a feeling many people will be determined to get OSx on their EEE, even if its a bit naff and buggy to start with!

• 2 months later...

I have a Eeepc 701 w/4gig hd, 2 gig ram, 16 gig sd. with internal blue tooth and 8 gig flash drive.

it is currently runnig osx 10.4.9 with office 2004 and iphoto and iweb 6 & photoshop cs

it has some quarks but i love it. :D I even moded an led apple logo to the front. ;)

The Eeepc is super easy to mod even for noob... just go to eeeuser.org and they got tons of stuff.

I have an 07 macbook pro 17in(my baby) for the heavy stuff, but i carry me macbook mini with me everywhere and everybody wants one. the install of the os is super easy, it was my 1st hacntosh and i installed it 1st time with no hiccups.

To me the little problems pale in comparison of having a Macbook Mini...... :P

Tiger works leopard doesnt. :D

hey i've been searching around trying to get osx on my eee 1000h i have kalyway 10.5.1 but when i try to boot from dvd at start up, nothing comes up and it goes right into vista. the booth sequence is dvd before hard drive. any help?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

im typing this too you from my eee pc 900HD running leopard 10.5.6. and you know what it runs really great on here in my personal opinion.i have everything up and running, wifi, battery icon, i guess ethernet, havent checked that as i really dont use it, sound is working, the only thing i dont have working is the internal mic. and im working on that =).

so you know what give it a shot. btw i used IPC dl live to install mine. loaded it onto a usb drive and then even though IPC has a booter on it i added camilion on it to to be sure and it now boots from the usb stick. which untill added the second boot loader it didnt.

• 3 months later...
im typing this too you from my eee pc 900HD running leopard 10.5.6. and you know what it runs really great on here in my personal opinion.i have everything up and running, wifi, battery icon, i guess ethernet, havent checked that as i really dont use it, sound is working, the only thing i dont have working is the internal mic. and im working on that =).

so you know what give it a shot. btw i used IPC dl live to install mine. loaded it onto a usb drive and then even though IPC has a booter on it i added camilion on it to to be sure and it now boots from the usb stick. which untill added the second boot loader it didnt.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to load it on to a USB drive? I have an external HDD and I want to try to follow the same process you did.