My graphics card just died, what do you reccomend? 9600GT?

digitallysick

8 posts in this topic

My ati xt1950 pro just died, it was old anyway , i want a decent , cheap graphics card that is supported for my hackintosh, i am useing kalyway any ideas? can someone post some links to good , cheap newegg video cards that will work with my hackintosh???

Hmmm....define cheap. Depending on the person and the budget, $20 can be cheap and so can $100. If you're the kind of person who spends the big $$$ to buy an X1950 Pro, a $20 video card is not likely to satisfy you. Another issue is games or 3D work; if you're doing either you'll need something with a bit more oomph than you'll find for $20. And remember, 'supported' is a relative term when it comes to OSX86...

It all depends on what kind of power supply you have, if its a higer end psu, go for the cheaper 8800 gts for 144$ since you might have some extra power to spare. If you have a mid range power supply you might save some money going for the 8800gt which consumes alot less energy and might not need the beefier power supply. You basically need to see what method will save you the most money. And if you really dont care about performance just go for the 8600, it not the best card out there but it sure beat the hell out of the 8400 series and would satisfy the average user and allow you to play most low end games. Oh btw dont try to run the 8800 gt/gts with a cheap or oem power supply(hp/avg. dell), your system might boot up but its really gonna effect performance. If you do need a new power supply go for a single rail power supply the more rails the crappier the power supply.