Strange incompatibility with Maxtor SATA drive, EFI doesn't work

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have installed Leopard on my Hack quite a few times, so I think I pretty much know what I'm doing.

I just wanted to install OS X on a SATA drive for a friend because he had trouble doing so himself. The drive is a Maxtor 6Y160M0, connected to the third SATA port (but I have already tried the other ports with no success).

So here's the problem:

When I write the EFI boot loader to the drive via startupfiletool, everything seems to be going fine. And the two following dd commands also seem to be successfull - but when I try to boot from the drive, I'm getting an error from the BIOS indicating that it can't boot from that drive (something like "SYSTEM DISK FAILURE", the error that comes up when there's no bootable drive).

As I said before, the exact same procedure has worked with my other drives in the same machine, so I've pretty much narrowed the problem down to the drive. Is there a known incompatibility with this drive or even a workaround?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Hello,

I have installed Leopard on my Hack quite a few times, so I think I pretty much know what I'm doing.

I just wanted to install OS X on a SATA drive for a friend because he had trouble doing so himself. The drive is a Maxtor 6Y160M0, connected to the third SATA port (but I have already tried the other ports with no success).

So here's the problem:

When I write the EFI boot loader to the drive via startupfiletool, everything seems to be going fine. And the two following dd commands also seem to be successfull - but when I try to boot from the drive, I'm getting an error from the BIOS indicating that it can't boot from that drive (something like "SYSTEM DISK FAILURE", the error that comes up when there's no bootable drive).

As I said before, the exact same procedure has worked with my other drives in the same machine, so I've pretty much narrowed the problem down to the drive. Is there a known incompatibility with this drive or even a workaround?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

I don't know about this drive in particular but I've heard people say they have had problems with older drives and efi something newer firmware usually fixes if you can get it? I would try seagates online help, maybe you could tell them your installing it in a mac I have been given firmware for disks this way before.

• 9 months later...