Which Mother Board Do I get

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I finally decided to start setting up a new PC that will dual boot OSX and XP.

So far I got:

4 Crucial Ballistix 1GB PC2-6400 800mhz

Intel Q9450

XFX 8600GT

My question is about the motherboard. I jumped the gun and bought the GA-P35-DS3l rev 2.0 from new egg the other day. After trying to find out some info it seems that I will loose functionality with my IDE port and no sound. At least that's what I got from the Wikipedia. I'm thinking of returning the board and buying the Gigabyte EX38-DS4. My main concern is having everything on board working. Does anyone have this board fully functioning? Or has anyone gotten the GA-P35-DS3l rev 2.0 fully working?

Thanks in advance!

Everything works perfect for me with the DS3L. In fact my installer is custom suited for this motherboard since I do alot of testing on it. My DVD writer is IDE and works fine, my sound works without any issues. The only thing I dislike about it is the current BIOS do not allow me to read temperatures correctly with my E8400. Of course this problem is not limited to just this one motherboard though.

Do you have a dual boot setup also? I am also planning on OC'ing the chip a tad bit into the 3.0-3.2 range. Do you think this would cause any problems?

And is there an install guide specifically for our motherboard or on what you did to get it running fully?

Hey JJRMac, I also have a DS3L motherboard with a Q6600 and it is working with network and sound. I used this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689

Right now I'm dualbooting XP/OSX on two drives using the F12 function in the BIOS. I'm still new at all this Mac stuff so i'm still figuring lots of stuff out too.

I also have a DS3L and have totally switched over to Leopard as my main OS. I love it. The only hiccup I had was that with 4gb of memory and using IDE devices causes kernel panics in Leopard. The ways to get around this are, set AHCI to on and disable IDE controller and you can use 4gb of memory. OR you can use the maxmem=3456 as a kernel flag. It's all explained in this tutorial http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689 If you don't have 4gb of memory or if you don't have any IDE drives, then you are golden with the board you have. Or if you have IDE drives and don't mind using 3.5 gigs of memory you are golden too. Enjoy!

Well I actually ended up getting the Gigabyte EX38-DS4. Which Leopard is the best one for this motherboard? KALYWAY? I tried doing a search on the forums but am not getting any topic hits on the search engine. I noticed on the Wiki that someone said they got it working 100%. I'm also still trying to figure out whether I'm gonna put each operating system on their own drive or split one with 2 partitions. Does it matter if the drive is ide or sata? And is it still not possible to install leopard from and IDE dvd drive?

Will do once I figure out how to do this. If I can't use an IDE dvd drive i'm gonna have to run out and buy a new sata one.