Audio, Video, Wireless on Toshiba A205-5825

13 posts in this topic

I recently installed Leo4all V2 on my Toshiba A205-5825 system, but I have a few minor issues, partially due to the fave I'm not sure on the specs on this laptop.

I have no sound as I don't know or can't find any information on what exact Realtek chip or driver I should be using on this system. Also I can't seem to find a GMA X3100 kext anywhere so I can get full resolution and QE/CI working. As for the Athoros wifi card, it would be nice to have working, but I understand not getting that one going on OSX.

Anyone have any info on what driver I should use for Audio? and if anyone has a good working X3100 kext?

I like Kalyway's latest release, as I have my video working perfectly with its default driver, but USB didn't work at all on it.

Thanks for any info

I found out the info on my audio, its a ALC268 by realtek, I just have to find some kext files fo rthat which I haven't found yet, same with the x3100 drivers, hopefull with QE/CI enabled.

Anyone know about these two things? I can careless about intergrated wifi

what DVD installer did you use? kalyway 10.5.2 or 10.5.1 ? and what options mbr or guid? I'm having bit of trouble getting to install.

EDIT- NeverMind, got kalyway 10.5.1 working LAN, x3100 working with full working resolution and QE/CI, and USB.

JUST need to get audio and wireless working FIREWIRE is detected but not working.

Dang it only boots with DVD in drive though

To get the OS to boot from the hard drive. What I did was once the install is done and the restart countdown shows, open and run Disk Utility. Do a Repair Disk Partition job on it. That should fix it. Can do this in the OS when your running it I assume. I used kalyway 10.5.2 actually. Targua has a way to get the audio. Should be ALC268 chip. Don't know how to install though. I am now working the same issues on leo4all as the new kalyway 10.5.2 doesnt give me USB port use. I say ignore wifi. Hard to do that from what I read.

hmm i'll have to check out that relaese your using, sounds pretty good so far. Do you get sleep, and a battery monitor with iATKOS V1.0 10.5.1?

As for the boot issue, this will work i'm sure: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...active&st=0

has a good part about the HSF+ partition read error, that should fix your issues.

So far I have sound working, just need the video card kext to work.

Thanks for the info so far though.

For some reason I can't get Iatkos to install properly my sound is very choppy and I dont seem to get passed the leapard intro music now. I only chose the x3100 driver.

I'm currently installing Kalyway 10.5.2 hopefully I have better luck this time.

Iatkos was working properly before, except for it not booting unless the DVD was in the drive.

well I had the same issues as you did with iatkos as you did. Kalyway 10.5.2 was a worse experience sadly USB ports didnt work, no sound or wifi, but the video driver worked fine. Had full QE/CI on it and a battery monitor for laptops. But so far leo4all v2. Works the best. Everything works but no battery monitoring, no video driver, no audio, no wifi. All else is ok and you can patch the audio to work. I just need a good way to install a good QE/CI enabled X3100 kext

Update:

I just figured out that Kalyway 10.5.2 is by far the best working release for Toshiba A205-S5835 laptop. Everything works perfectly just about. Video with Quartz Extreme and Resolution. Audio needs to be patched with Taruga and Azalia patch. USB and Ethernet works fine, Battery monitor and LCD sleep works fine. I haven't tried putting the entire laptop to sleep.

Import note: Do not install with the Speedstep kernel Using this kernel will disable USB and Ethernet ports from working for some reason. I used the one that enabled 64bit mode

So far things are perfect otherwise, and I highly recommend this realease. I do notice that my logitech wireless mouse doesn't function well on the USB ports on the left side of the system, but on the ones on the right it works fine. Otherwise any device works well with this laptop.

UPDATE: Sleep mode works perfectly, automatically or from the menu. Restart works perfectly, as well as shut down. Closing the laptop lid does not put the system in sleep mode unfortunately, but as for me that was never a issue.

Good luck to anyone else whose looking to get their Toshiba up and running.

Came across an issue. I started up my laptop and I was greeted with a graphical corruption once it tried to load OS X. Blue screen with some garbled lines. Since OS X is my only OS on this laptop, I just changed the Multi-Processing setting in the BIOS down to Disable. Seemed to have fixed it so far.

Will keep a heads up on the issue if it happens again. I would assume installing Kalyway 10.5.2 with the CPU = 1 Flag option being the best way to fix this issue if your running a multi-boot setup.

I had the same issue rebooting fixed it for me, although it only happened when I added new kext files.

And specifically after I ran

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I did have one time that even after 2-3 times of rebooting and still the garbled video I ran the video cleanup as per kalyway instruction file.

I know he says black or blue screen but it also fixed up the Blue screen with some garbled lines.

I have both core working I also chose different setting than you did I think. My battery meter doens't work and I have to add a kext

file to fix it which in turn breaks sleep but to fix that if you set it to custom for energy saver for the battery that makes sleep work 100%

actually better as before my trackpad would not work only the keyboard and external mouse. I also used the 268 audio patch as that enables both

internal speaker and headphones. I've been trying to get wireless to work but no such luck, it doesn't even show up it showed up when I installed Iatkos

it was just stuck to off, which after I installed kalyway I noticed theres on/off switch for wireless on the bottom of the laptop so it might of worked : P

***I'm currently installing Iatkos again hopefully it shows up wireless and I can make a back up of the extensions**

***extracting the IO80211Family.kext from the iatkos disc with pacifict and changing the kext did not work either.

Notes: if you have problems on reboot with video gfx (blue or black screen)

All you have to do is just press F8 at Darwin's prompt and then type -s (single user mode) then

at root type mount -uw /

and /movevideodrivers

then it will be prompt to move video drivers by class ( nvidia ; ati ; or intel gma) voila!

type yes to confirm or enter to skip !

ok, I'm gonna try that guide you wrote there on the bottom, once you did that, you had no more video issues on restarts?

Also there are 2 ALC268 installer files, 1 and 2. Which one(s) did you use to install to get your mic and headphone jacks to work?