Q6600 or E8400

Guest Snowski

11 posts in this topic

Guest Snowski

Hi guys,

What would be the best pick for audio (logic 8) and image editing (lightroom & photoshop) and a game in XP/Vista now and then?

This would be combined with a GA-P35-DS3P mobo and 4GB of ram (2x2048)

I will also add that I will be using a low noise cooler running at low volts so I don't know if the heat from the Quad will be a factor here.

Also, what would be the best pick for install method? should I just go with the new Kalyway 10.5.2? are the quad cores fully supported by the different install DVD's?

Thx in advance

Guest Snowski

Q6600 it is lads, thx for the input.

Erikk, I also noticed you use a firewire soundcard. How's the performance (latency)

So guys, whats the advantage of the P5W over the P35-DS3P? Does 5.1/7.1 work on the P5W?

And what do you use for CPU cooler?

Thx

Q6600 it is lads, thx for the input.

Erikk, I also noticed you use a firewire soundcard. How's the performance (latency)

So guys, whats the advantage of the P5W over the P35-DS3P? Does 5.1/7.1 work on the P5W?

And what do you use for CPU cooler?

Thx

I picked up a Q9450 and an Asus Rampage board. I believe the P5W uses the same 1988b soundcard, which only has 2ch analog at the moment. Taruga just got his hands on one of these though and is working on adding hdapatcher support for it. Sounded like it was causing him some grief though. In the meantime I picked up a Turtle Beach usb 5.1 device for 25 bucks on newegg. As for a cooler, I plan on overclocking eventually so I have a zerotherm nv120. Great cooler, but pay close attention when installing or it will become a giant pain quickly.

DO NOT, DO NOT, go RAID0 unless your entirely willing to loose ALL OF YOUR DATA on that set of hard-drives at ANY TIME! If ANY ONE HARD-DRIVE FAILS, say bye bye to all of data on all of the hard-drives.

Yes, RAID0 is that fragile. I would use it for high performance applications/swap-space and for a temporary high speed hard-drive when your doing intensive stuff like 3D editing / special FX that needs to access huge multi-gigabyte projects at a time.

Guest Snowski

Good point, but RAID or not, data will be lost anyway. I probably should go RAID since I do a lot of audio/image editing work but I wont go that route simple because I need all the drive space I can get.

I'm running 3 x 250 GB drives and external 200 GB and cant spare one of these to run in RAID.

But like I said, if my HD fails now without RAID I'm lost too. Best is too have TM backup now and then on an external drive.

What's the best install method? The new Kalyway?