SegFault Errors Installing 10.4.4 from patched DVD

gabemcg

5 posts in this topic

Ok,

It seems that several people have been expirencing Segmentation Fault errors during the install of 10.4.4 from the patched DVD.

Furthermore, the issue seems to be AMD related,

I expirenced the problem on two different mobo/proc configs, both AMD, and both SSE2 (nf2/Axp) (nf3/a64-754)

The boot disk boots, asks to press any key to install, and shows the apple loading screen...

after several minutes of loading, the screen goes black, and quickly displays a bunch of lines of text most relating to:

"...exited abnormally: Segmentation Fault"

My hunch is that there is a portion of the install process (exceuted before the disk partitioning step) that should be patched on specific AMD setups (SSE2?) that is not patched by the patcher released recently...

I know some have had sucess, and others have not. In order for the patcher to work for me, I had to replace it's boot files with those from maxxus, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of replacing other files prior to patching...

Please post if you've expirenced these problems on 10.4.4 or any earlier attempts... The goal here is to find not just a solution to this problem, but an install solution that works for everyone!

Thanks everone, let's kick this thing in the ass!

I expirenced the problem on two different mobo/proc configs, both AMD, and both SSE2 (nf2/Axp) (nf3/a64-754)

(nf2/Axp) means nForce2 \ AthlonXP?

The nForce2 AthlonXP system has a sse2 cpu? I'm sorry to say it doesn't.

There one problem solved. For the nForce 3 / Athlon64... I belive your right no track with the SSE2 \ AMD problem... something wasn't patched right in the AMD.zip...

I'm sorry i can't shed more light on this but... Hardware wise i only have SSE3 64s and SSE1 only XPs...

Tyan Thunder K8WE (SCSI)

+

AMD Opteron 275 2.2GHz (940) (SSE3) (NX)

=

(mostly (till manually rebooted)) sh-2.05b# SIGSEGV code 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0 "usr/sbin/notifyd etc exited abnormally

Toal time: about 15 mins

Might try with NONX, CPUID & RTC

• 1 year later...