Problem after switching back from OS X - hard drive missing.

dunstonchecksin

4 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm not really the best when it comes to tech stuff, but I originally formatted a WD5000AAKS (Western Digital 500 GB Internal) on Windows as an additional storage drive. It worked fine. I switched to Ubuntu - it still worked fine. I then switched to OS X (the Kalway install) - the drive still worked perfectly. I decided that Windows felt better on my setup (an HP Pavillion a832n), and ever since reinstalling it does not show up as a logical drive. It shows up in my Device Manager, and it says that it is working fine. I have attempted to populate the disk, but it will not assign a letter. Please, any information will help. If I have to reformat I will lose about 350 gb of my media files :hysterical:

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Formatting it would make him lose all the data. dunstonchecksin, use either MacDrive (costs money) or HFSExplorer (free) on Windows, they will be able to see your storage drive. Using those tools extract the media onto your Windows drive (or another hard drive temporarily), format the storage drive back to NTFS or FAT32, and move all your data back onto the drive.