Writing articles on Laptops that run LEO perfect all options functional

OsxWade

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

My name is Wade and I run a website called ConsumerCowboy(http://consumercowboy.com).

I'm a fan of the OSX following and have about every distro out there from 10.1.3 on up.

One thing is for certain with installing osx86 on laptops. They will not be fully functional weather it is the

sound or the sleep mode it will just not work correctly or just plain trouble getting past the SATA drivers.

On my site, I give advice on purchasing computers both PC and APPLE... I was thinking why not put Apple OS

on Intel based Notebook and write up a walkthru rather a how too guide on getting everything setup and working properly.

I figure there is nothing more economical than putting a top notch OS on a machine that costs about half.

I have some branding requirements that may throw a loop in the quest to find the perfect hack-in-tosh.

I'm looking to hear your opinions on the following brands and what current models that are 100% functional.

Dell

HP

Lenovo

This will be my replacement for my 2 year old Lenovo 3000 N100 works ok *no sleep or *sound :-(

Thats about it I appreciate any feedback that you can give on the requirements that I have.

I doubt if you will get the same battery performance as a real mac. If that is a priority for you, a real mac is worth it's hefty price, even just for that.

The battery life is not all that important to me. For this machine is plugged in most of the time. I may use it for 2 hours with out a power source near by.

I just browsed through the WIKI on successful installs of LEO and found that the X60 and X61 laptops are functional with leo and sleep working. ****GREAT NEWS**** What makes them different ?

The have No sound but that can be worked around with USB mini sound card. Lenovo are pretty good machines,it is what I use currently and have no complaints and the service is great as well.

For what ever reason when I was running OSX on that laptop before it killed the battery. Not just used it up but actually killed it would not charge and the machine would not turn on after with the battery attached.

IBM/LENOVO took care of it by sending me a new battery no questions asked. But it is really weird that the battery like died has anyone had this same issue?

Thanks for the responses so far for they are helpful on my quest to find the perfect laptop for OSX besides purchasing a MacBookPro they are very sweet and worth it but I'm cheap.. lol

ACTUALLY the forum here should have a special LAPTOPS section, because like the other posters have mentioned, the custom configs for all the manufacturers and models really is enormous and an enormous task to get it RIGHT.

I think the HCL at Wiki is pretty lame... and/or outdated.

MODERATORS, how 'bout a special LAPTOP forum? It would really help de-louse some of the other repetitive threads here... and aid to precise search for specific configs....

That said, I was very lucky with both laptops I have dealt with: a Mitac Barebone and Sony SZ5. (see sig)

EVERYTHING funtions on these machines - video, dual display, sound, internet... what more could a poor nerd want?

The Mitac runs so well (actually faster than the Sony) I have hesitated to upgrade to LEO.

hastalavista,

ninetto