Mixing two different RAMS...

6 posts in this topic

So I have two sticks of AData DDR2 800 MHz 1GBx16 and two sticks of OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 1066 MHz

I had the two AData's installed during the 10.5.1 Kalyway installation, and today I got the OCZ's. I installed the two OCZ's, and in the middle of a MacTheRipper session, there was a kernel panic (when the circle in the middle told me to reboot). But when I had the two RAMs installed separately, the ripping sessions can be completed.

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3. When all four sticks are installed, the BIOS show 667 MHz Inter.. something (forgot, heh).

anybody know how to fix this?

is this a kext problem, or hardware, or os? or maybe a reinstallation of 10.5.1 would help?

(btw, xp recognized the sticks w/no problem.. bleh)

and oh, my computer doesn't shut down properly when i send the command from the Mac partition..

I think i'm going to reinstall my computer if nobody responds by the end of this week.. =\

i think shutdown and ram problems are different...

if you want use two different ram you have to adjust your timings without using AUTO settings

i use also different ram: 2 x 2 GB OCZ Titanium DDR2-800 and 2 x 1 GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800.

AUTO settings with 4 sticks (GA-X38-DS5) showing 533MHz and 6-6-6-18 resulting in errors. changing the timings to 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 (subtimings on AUTO with 2T) gives me a absolut stable system. and you should increase the voltage of the ram... standard (1.8V)+ 0.2V

maybe you can try the same?

and what's the matter with your shutdown? if it's just the effect that your PC doesn't power off at the end... this is a well known thing...(use the search)

bye

BB

so with mine..

ADATA is DDR2-800 (PC2-6400), timing 5-5-5-18, voltage 1.8V

OCZ is DDR2-1066 (PC2 8500), timing 5-5-5-15, voltage 2.1-2.3Vc

urrently (under AUTO), BIOS show 667 mhz dual channel interleavedu

nder system profile, OCZ slots are 667 mhz, ADATA slots are 800

so would the following be my stable settings?

800 MHz, 5-5-5-15, 1.8V +0.2V?

Thanks