GameCube/PS2 Emulation

~pcwiz

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get PS2 and GameCube emulation to work on Windows on my system (specs in sig). For PS/2, I tried the PCSX2 emulator with a PS2 BIOS file. I ripped the NFS Underground 2 PS2 game to an ISO and I loaded it into the emulator, first few seconds the game was fast, but as soon as I got to the car/track selection it got unbearably slow. This is all on default settings with an ISO.

Then for GameCube I got the Dolphin emulator, I got Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Smash Bros Melee and tested them, again on default settings but once again when I got to the car/track/mode/player selection it got really slow. Has anyone gotten either of these consoles emulated usably? I can run emulators of all old consoles (NES, SNES, Mame, Amiga, Sega, N64, GB/GBC/GBA, etc.)

I've been trying to get PS2 and GameCube emulation to work on Windows on my system (specs in sig). For PS/2, I tried the PCSX2 emulator with a PS2 BIOS file. I ripped the NFS Underground 2 PS2 game to an ISO and I loaded it into the emulator, first few seconds the game was fast, but as soon as I got to the car/track selection it got unbearably slow. This is all on default settings with an ISO.

Then for GameCube I got the Dolphin emulator, I got Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Smash Bros Melee and tested them, again on default settings but once again when I got to the car/track/mode/player selection it got really slow. Has anyone gotten either of these consoles emulated usably? I can run emulators of all old consoles (NES, SNES, Mame, Amiga, Sega, N64, GB/GBC/GBA, etc.)

PCSX2 works fine for me. But I only tested Final Fantasy X and Resident Evil Survivor... I think it differs very much from game to game what speed you get. There's a compatibility list on the PCSX2 homepage, but the page is offline at the moment.

Also you might have to play around with the settings...

Any other emulator works fine too, I haven't tested dolphin yet.

for support about emulation issues... www.ngemu.com

that's the headquarter for most of the emus out there

anyways, you need to try different settings and plugins. check smp support on gpu plugin

keep in mind ps2 is a very complex emulation, you can't archieve discrete speed with every game.. and still.. it will be slow, it always be with the current pc specs

Thanks guys :) My system is considerably high end, no reason why it should run OK but w/e ;)

The Q6600 these days is considered to be mid-range to low-end on the Quad-Core CPU lists.

Not to say that it's not a fast chip, just that on current shipping parts it's not considered high-end considering it's a 2+ year-old chip.