Self-Assigned IP issue on Realtek RTL8139 chipset (Netgear GA311)

Apexmusic

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with my Realtek 8139 chipset card (Netgear GA311). Ethernet works totally fine until I try to copy a large amount of data... this has happened with regular downloads, torrents, and even copies over my local network! The network control panel then shows I have a self-assigned IP, and the only way to get my network connectivity back is by restarting my computer.

Here are the things I have tried:

- All different modes (duplex, MTU, etc.) under Advanced

- Manual IP settings

- Latest OS X driver from Realtek's site.

All with the same result!

I also tried booting with cpus=1 as suggested by another thread on this forum and it did fix the issue... but using only 1 core is simply not acceptable. =/

I was wondering if anyone else has been able to figure out this issue? I'm nearly pulling out my hair in frustration!

Thanks in advance. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Having the same problem, nearly identical configuration too.

Not much help from me but see my post for what i've tried. Appears to be specific to users that have the nForce chipset, which is yet another checkmark in my pros/cons list driving me to a new mobo/cpu/ram for this experiment.

GA311 Post

I've read a ton of other posts related to the 6xx series chipset users, many specific to getting the onboard LAN working with/without cpus=1...i don't run with that switch but i've had the most success with 100/half duplex...though still have had a few network drops that required reboots since.

I'm now really accepting the fact that this happens and rebooting as needed but it is kind of a crappy solution...I have to stop/suspend my fusion vm, reboot, login, restart vm, restart downloads/copies...

I would be happy with finding a way to simply script a full network stack unload/reload - no luck finding such an animal as of yet though.

====

Kalyway 10.5.2 (9.2.0 sleep kernel)

Asus P5N32E SLI

C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz

2GB Corsair XMS2

eVGA GeForce 8800GT

Netgear GA311

2x Seagate 300GB SATA

1x WD 500GB SATA

Well, I gave up on that netgear card long ago. I've instead picked up a Linksys USB200M.

It's a USB-to-ethernet dongle, and worked out of the box, plug and play, with OS X. Never had one drop, IP issue, or anything since. I'm very happy with it. -_-

I'd recommend this product to anyone experiencing similar issues on an nforce chipset, as it's a far more affordable and far less painful option than going to the extreme of purchasing a new motherboard. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Apex! Funds are a bit tight right now after a vacation so might make the jump to this usb dongle in the interim. Still going to be swapping hardware out for new after I convince my brother in law to buy my current rig as a windows gaming machine for him.

Take care.

Well, I gave up on that netgear card long ago. I've instead picked up a Linksys USB200M.

It's a USB-to-ethernet dongle, and worked out of the box, plug and play, with OS X. Never had one drop, IP issue, or anything since. I'm very happy with it. :D

I'd recommend this product to anyone experiencing similar issues on an nforce chipset, as it's a far more affordable and far less painful option than going to the extreme of purchasing a new motherboard. :P

Chalk up another convert to the USB dongle :P Wish I had gone that route long ago after all the headaches i'd had with the other one. :blink:

No random drop outs of anything as of yet and download speeds haven't seemed to suffer (1-2MB/s)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Still no fix on this issue? I don't have a nvidia chipset either (VIA) and it doesn't work either. Seems to work at *best* on 100mbit/half duplex as fugazzz suggested in his other thread.

--think I might just have to get the USB device :D I wanted gigabit