Freeze at the Blue Screen

Majorix

12 posts in this topic

Before asking this, I googled around but couldn't see a fix.

My problem is that the computer usually hangs at the blue screen after the gray screen with the Apple logo. No input.

I have to force-shutdown the computer by holding the power button, which surely causes damage/harm to the computer.

I tried -x -f and -x -f 'Graphıcs Mode'='1280x800x32@60' but they didn't work.

plug your video cord to the first port (The one near the motherboard)

I had experience this problem, but since NVinject 0.2.1 but port works. But the second one is slower.

What hardware are you using?

Sorry about not telling before. This is a 2-year-old Toshiba laptop. 915 chipset and Pentium 4 M 1.73ghz.

plug your video cord to the first port (The one near the motherboard)

I had experience this problem, but since NVinject 0.2.1 but port works. But the second one is slower.

I can't do that on a laptop :(

Thanks for the (quick) replies.

Hi, I to am using a 2 year old Toshiba laptop with a 915 chipset and a Pentium M 1.73ghz! To fix this issue, I had to use the "paperclip trick", which involves bending a paperclip (or a couple of pieces of solder, which is much easier to bend!) and inserting the bent pieces in the holes of your VGA port as shown below. Out of interest, which Toshiba is it?

post-109879-1207509987_thumb.jpg

Oh I see. You made it sound easy. I believe this is to make the computer think it has an external monitor or something?

BTW my computer is a Toshiba M70-215. 512mb ram, which I am thinking of changing with a 1 or 1.5 GB.

Thanks a ton, I will try as soon as I can and report back. Hope this works, I see a lot of people around with this problem.

Yes, the GMA900 will only work if it thinks it has an external monitor, and this tricks it into thinking it has. I would also definately recommend upgrading your RAM, as I did and it made a huge difference in performance.

Glad to help!

mine does the same thing after installing the universal geforce package. i am running a later toshiba model though, a Qosmio G-25 with a Geforce Go 6600 card. Would the paperclip trick work for me?

Hey, no worries, I'm glad to help! spole, have you tried this (taken from http://osx86help.we.bs/ ):

10. The OS is hung on the blue screen

This is one of the most difficults error to solve because it can be due to many many different causes. Here are a few one but keep in mind this is not an universal workaround, it just deals with the most common causes.

Cause : the graphic driver injecter.

A little trick of my experience is to watch closely at the blue tone. The color profile isn't applied yet, which may give you a darker or clearer blue than the usual one.

Titan/Natit/NVinject/ATIinject (and all others injecters based on the same method) often give this problem. A temporary fix is to remove it. The system will be bootable again in VESA mode (no acceleration). It's now up to you to reinstall the injecter correctly or to find an other one that works.

To remove the injecter boot to single user mode (-s) then type "/sbin/mount -uw /". Type "rm -R /system/library/extensions/name_of_the_injecter.kext" (natit.kext in most cases).

Cause : lack of decrypting.

In this case you get that neverending blue screen because some critical files are not readable because they are still encrypted. There are 2 ways to perform the decrypting : by the kernel or by a kext (r2d2.kext, r3d3.kext or dsmos.kext). It's up to you to know if your kernel has built in decrypting kernel or if you need an additional kext. However it won't work if you have both. So, if your kernel has it, remove the kext, if it hasn't, find the kext or a kernel that has decrypting built-in.

Note : this is for intel CPUs, I don't know about AMD, if someone can enlight me, you're welcome.

Cause : Bad permissions

Despite this is quite rare, it can be due to screwed permissions (generally by your fault :(). Try repairing them from the install DVD.

Cause : A critical process crashes.

There is no general solution, it is sometimes fixed with an other kernel, a file may be corrupted, missing, bad version... or many other reasons.