Issue with Motu UltraLite

morphs

16 posts in this topic

Basically my UltraLite is recognized in OSX, running Kalyway 10.5.1 with 10.5.2 ComboUpdater & kernel update 9.2.2.

When I power up the UltraLite the Audio Setup app appears & FireWire communication is fine... I can change the sample rate, outputs, even run the firmware updater to verify the firmware etc & all is well.

As soon as I use any app to make sound, iTunes, Logic Pro etc the sound cuts in & out, stuttering & theres small pops & crackles.

I noticed entries in the system log...

Apr 6 11:42:49 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (c3,41a)

Apr 6 11:42:49 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (c3,41a)->(10b,419).

Apr 6 11:42:49 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (10a,41a)

Apr 6 11:42:49 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (10b,419)->(13c,41b).

Apr 6 11:42:49 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (13c,419)

Apr 6 11:42:50 morphixs-mac-pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x5d71000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (6,22c)->(7,421).

as soon as I start playback. Apart from this everything else on the system is working perfectly fine.

Any ideas? :/

Specs are as follows...

M/board: Asus P5B-E (using onboard firewire for Motu)

CPU: Core 2 Quad E6400

RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR2

GFX: NVIDIA 7900GS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Similar problem here, the sound cuts in & out, stuttering & theres small pops & crackles ... but in the hole system ;(

When i scroll in lists, scroll in finder or try to watch a flash movie in Firefox (fullscreen) my soundcard makes crazy voices ... i had to disconnect the usb-sound-card and replug it, to get off the damin noises.

I remember that was not in 10.5 (i currently use 10.5.2) ... Time to go back with TimeMashine to proof this.

system log:

... kernel IOAudioStream[0x43a9400]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (6530,567)->(6531,5d5).

... 14.04.08 15:58:02 kernel IOAudioStream[0x43a9400]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (6531,567)

Help are Welcome...

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. However, it looks like it may be hardware specific and applicable to any sound card. I have a Mac Pro with 2 x 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon running Leo 10.5.2 and I have noticed it for the past 3 weeks. However, on a Mac Mini with a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo running Leo 10.5.2, it has not occurred at all.

Also, I am using an external GigaPort AG USB audio card, ATI Radeon X1900 XT video card, and 10 Gb DDR2 FB-DIMM as memory on the Mac Pro. For the Mini, I am using an external GigaPort AG USB audio card, onboard Intel GMA 950 video, and 2 Gb DDR2 SDRAM. I am also using OSX aggregate devices to access each sound card.

I've undone just about every change I have made in the past few weeks to troubleshoot this issue.

I have Time machine running but I am not sure how to change the kernel back to 10.5. I am familiar with restoring personal files, but wouldn't a system restore to a previous release include several files?

Thanks,

Rolin

Hi,

I have the same problem. Once and a while my audio cuts out and glitches. Happens on a Presonus Fire box AND a MOTU 8Pre. Running Logic or iTunes or whateves.

Both units work perfect on my MacBook and on another Windows based desktop.

Have tried Leo4all and Zeph. Must have over 30 installs already. Even bought a PCI Firewire card.

This comp is in my studio and is ONLY for audio so this is really gettin me down!!

Please Help!!!

J

This is very useful information.

After three weeks of troubleshooting (tinkering around with aggregate device settings), I visited the local Apple Store today and had a complete(more than what's on the CD that came with the computer) hardware test to rule out a hardware issue. I did this because I noticed the problem immediately after a bluetooth module was installed at the local apple store. A few days after the upgrade, I performed a hardware test, and it reported that a pair of memory modules had failed. The store claimed that when they installed the bluetooth they had to pull the two memory cards and it may have failed at that point. They claim this happens all of the times when non-apple memory is used.

Anyways, they recommended that I disable the bluetooth module and shutdown all cell phones near the computer to ensure it is not some type of interference. I've performed this routine and the problem persisted. They also recommended replacing the USB sound card with a firewire.

Since, the last poster reported that this is also occurring with firewire devices then I am at a loss. I attempted the same USB set up on a mac mini and I don't experience this issue.

Please forgive my ignorance, is OSx86 primarily run on non-apple hardware? If so, are any of the users reporting this issue on non-apple hardware?

I beginning to think that this may be a bug in coreaudio.

I think I may have a solution to this problem. I am still testing but I thought that I could air it out so that others can try it also. This appears to be an out-of-sync clock issue. I am using an aggregate device to combine my input and output into a single aggregate device so that AUlab can correctly use it. I've always had the external sound card hardware as the clock. I switched it to an internal input device(Soundflower) and I have not had the sound distortions I used to get (after several hours of sounds). The caveat is I still get the error messages (although much fewer than before) but have not verified if the distortion still occurs.

Thanks,

Rolin

• 5 months later...

I've the same problem with my motu ultralite....

It's crashes many times, distorted sound i cant do anything only the restart helps.

I tried many drivers like the latest one 1.4.9 and i tried several old ones like 1.4.1...1.4.4 with the same result.

The firmware is 1.15.

I'd like to use for audio recording but its {censored} this way.

With windows i didnt have this problem.

Anybody solved this thing with motu?

Pls let me know and help me if you have any ideas because soon im going 2 mad... :)

im working on it for weeks now.....

ahhhh

thanks,

Dan

Jas 10.5.4

Lenovo 3000 n100

Hi, I'll check my logs for the error.

I’ve got a hiccup problem with my Presonus FirePod (via firewire). For a quarter of a second my sound drops out in Logic Express 8.0.1 and iTunes. I haven’t tried it in Garage Band yet. I’ve tried isolating the issue and it seems to be 10.5.x, hackintosh and a firewire problem. I can play back a project / music / sound fine from an iMic and from internal sound but when I use the firewire/FirePod the dropout is there. It is an irregular drop out, might be 30 seconds to an hour between dropouts.

I’ve tried on 2 hackintoshes (specs in sig) and my G4 duel 1gig. The hackies both hiccup, the G4 doesn’t. Also 10.4.9 works fine on the hackies but 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 doesn’t. Fortunately, I kept a 10.4.9 HD on both hackies so I’m still up and running but... it would sure be nice to figure out this problem.

Also, I just tried a firewire camera on one of the hackies with 10.5.3 and it worked fine. Seems to be just the FirePod, Leopard, and maybe the firewire chip set. I'm looking for further ways to test and narrow the problem.

Khan

Wow, it´s incredible how the time pass and you can´t see how obvious it is.....

Cheap firewire chipsets make firewire audio devices fail....

Avoid VIA chipsets, no matter wich, use at least TI (Texas instruments) chipsets for your firewire cards, do it and all the problems will be gone.

I have been dealing with computers and motu devices since 2000, and i can tell you 95% of the problems comes cause this.

NO VIA CHIPSETS. Only TI.

Hope this gives some light.

Wow, it´s incredible how the time pass and you can´t see how obvious it is....

NO VIA CHIPSETS. Only TI.....

Hey Pere,

Thanks for your answer.

well, it's obvious but what can i do with a laptop? 

questions:

1. i found this information about the firewire card:

05:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller [1180:0832]

how can i find out what chipset has been used?

2. another option to use my motu with a PCMCIA slot firewire card? i never tried neither windows nor hackintosh....

Have i any chance to use the ultralite with my onboard firewire? any idea?

thanks

../..

What do you think of the pci express logilink card ?

Here's some specs:

4x IEEE1394

PCI Express

Extern: 3x IEEE1394 6-pin

Intern: 1x IEEE1394 6-pin

Chipset: PLX8111 + NEC D72874

My main use is audio DAW with lowest possible latency settings.

Thanks in advance for any feeback about that one or equivalent (logilink is not very expensive for pci-e : approx. 30euros)

Well, i think is easier if you go to an Apple shop and buy there a firewire pci or pciexpress card (31 eur), i did it and no problems at all.... in my city, is really impossible to buy any firewire card that´s not VIA, except on Apple stores, :)

For the laptop, you can do the same buying a pcmcia card on an Apple store if you want to be really sure it will work properly, is better than guessing what is going to work what not.... and throwing the money to the rubbish.

Chipset: PLX8111 + NEC D72874

This is a mixed chipset, well, is supposed to work with nec, but this hibrid.... really don´t know.

Well, if you spended some money buying a MOTU audiocard, you can spend a little more and buy a secure firewire card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cheap firewire chipsets make firewire audio devices fail....

Avoid VIA chipsets, no matter wich, use at least TI (Texas instruments) chipsets for your firewire cards, do it and all the problems will be gone.

I have been dealing with computers and motu devices since 2000, and i can tell you 95% of the problems comes cause this.

Hi

I'm using boot 132 and running os x 10.5.6 I got everything running smooth except my sound card witch is a motu 2408 mkIII with the 424 pci card. I installed the new intel base drivers from motu's website. Everything installed fine but for some reason osx is not recognizing my pci card does anyone know how I can fix this? I've tried changins pci slots but that deosn't work ethier.

Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

Geforce 8600 GT 265 mgz video card

Intel 2 Quad core Q6600 2.4 Ghz cpU

4x 2 Gigs of ddr2 ram

seagate 500gb sata 32m cache

sony nec optiark 20x dvdrw

antec sonata III midtower w/500psu

• 6 months later...

Hello All,

I've the same problem with Motu Ultralite installed on a:

MOBO: P5QL-EM (bios upgraded by Juzzi 1601)

Graphic: EN8400GS

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800

CPU: intel Q8200

Idened ugraded at 10.5.8, motu latest driver and the ultralite is 1.5 firmware.

I can Record by the imputs without any problem, but i cannot use the Motu Out cause, the same problem (Mega distortion). Today i discover that if you play something with very low volume, the card don't distort. But is to much low, for normal use.

I wait soem time before to buy a pci Texas Instrument Firewire card. I hope in somebody fix this. Let know us pleeease . :)

PS: Juzzi sei un grande, grazie mille

• 4 months later...
Hello All,

I've the same problem with Motu Ultralite installed on a:

MOBO: P5QL-EM (bios upgraded by Juzzi 1601)

Graphic: EN8400GS

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800

CPU: intel Q8200

Idened ugraded at 10.5.8, motu latest driver and the ultralite is 1.5 firmware.

I can Record by the imputs without any problem, but i cannot use the Motu Out cause, the same problem (Mega distortion). Today i discover that if you play something with very low volume, the card don't distort. But is to much low, for normal use.

I wait soem time before to buy a pci Texas Instrument Firewire card. I hope in somebody fix this. Let know us pleeease . :)

PS: Juzzi sei un grande, grazie mille

i've the same issue as pee wee. low-level recordings / playbacks have hardly any faults, errors, pops, clicks, screams, etc. but turn the volume up on the input or output to a useable level, and the errors start filling up the system log and it's all downhill from there.

i looked up my pci firewire card, to find the chipset:

Part Number: SD-FW323-3I New: SD-LUC-4F

Chipset: Agere FW323

Link/PHY

i'm assuming that's confirmation that it's not the appropriate TI kind.

what i'd like to know is two things:

1) what is meant by "at least Texas Instruments" .. what else works? what won't work?

2) are there other people out there who have had this issue and have solved it by replacing their firewire card with one that has a TI chipset?

regards.