Leopard 10.5.2 Slow?

krad187

11 posts in this topic

-- System Specs --------------------------------------------------------------

• Chaintech SK8T800 (VIA) motherboard
  • 1 GB DDR RAM
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.21 GHz) single core processor
  • Geforce FX5200 128 MB (I have a couple [faster] ATI cards I could install if need be.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, nice to see such a lively and helpful forum here!

Lately I've had some fun experimenting with Leopard on my side computer. Everyday small tasks seem fast and smooth enough. The dock, even with magnification, is very smooth. But some stuff is slow and irritating and makes me wonder if something broken.

• Scrolling - (especially in web browers, it can be annoying. Say I load a long webpage and click&hold on the scroll bar and move it up and down fast. In both WindowsXP and Ubuntu 7.10 on this computer, the cursor will stay with the scrollbar and have no lag. Here, it feels like the scrollbar is attached to my cursor by a rubber band!)
  • Games - something has to be wrong because when I load a game it's almost unbearable (so far I've tried a couple of random games, TurretWars and Horde of Orcs. They are graphically very simple and should run perfectly. However, I only get about ~7 FPS on Horde of Orcs and ~20 on TurretWars). On Windows, I would get 30-40+ FPS running World of Warcraft, 40+ with Guild Wars, etc.
  • For fun, I setup and ran VMWare Fusion and installed WindowsXP. Dear Lord it was slow! Felt like I was on a sub-200 MHz PC. I expected a performance hit, as I've used VMWare before, but this was unbearable.

I've tried installing both "Zephyroth AMD 10.5.2 Rev.1" and "Leo4All-10.5.2 Universal AMD/INTEL[sSE2/SSE3]" thinking maybe one of the releases was faultier (er sumthin') but they performed the same.

I've loaded up the Nvidia driver via the "latest NVidia kexts and NVinject installer, NEW v.41" thread. OpenGL seems to work fine.

Activity monitor shows an idle computer when I'm not doing anything like it's supposed to.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Ah, so I guess Leopard just requires a meaner machine than what I got? And when I'm specific about Leopard, I don't mean to imply I think it's slower than previous versions of OSX. Leopard is the first version I've ever used.

Your problems don't sound like normal "slow" Leopard behaviour.

You said you installed the latest nvidia drivers, but are both Quartz Extreme and Core Image supported? (look in system profiler)

I have Leopard on a G4 and although not a blazer, even on that scrolling in browsers isn't like that.

You said you installed the latest nvidia drivers, but are both Quartz Extreme and Core Image supported? (look in system profiler)

Sure seems so.

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0322

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1 johnniecarcinogen installer

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

My main desktop is an Athlon 64 5600+ X2 with 2gb faster ram, and Nvidia 8800 GT. I'll dual boot Leopard on it real quick and get an xbench number to compare. Right now my overall number after running it several times on this computer is ~47. http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=2818...;setCookie=true

vmware is slow because it takes advantage of the Virtualization technology in Intel Core Processors, which your ancient AMD chip lacks.

Ahh, I see. Well that's good to know. Haha, yeah, it's been a while since I bought these parts. Seems like yesterday though... computer technology flies so fast.

Alrighty, I'm back again. Installed it dual boot on my Athlon 5600+ X2 system and have discovered that is runs Leopard amazingly. Along with the 8800GT driver tutorial in the Genius Bar on this forum, I now get max FPS in those games. Scrolling also has no lag. Perfect.

It's too bad VMWare won't run as well on this architecture since it's not an Intel.

I still think that Windows (even Vista) is a lot snappier. It's not very useful but it just reacts quicker than OSX when you open windows and stuff.

For the games, since you are mentioning WOW, my Vista install is a lot faster than OSX. When there is a lot on the screen like Alterac Valley with 40-50 characters I am getting 20-40fps in OSX from 80-100fps average. I also feel the WOW data loading hiccups a lot more in OSX. That is the same kind of performance problems I was getting from the early Vista Nvidia drivers.

With the latest Nvidia Vista drivers the fps almost never dip under 70-80FPS no matter the location and situation (Shattrah, etc..), I would say in general WOW performance in Windows is 1.5-2 times faster overall.

OS X is fun to use for general use and gaming (if you are not performance minded fro the games), but at least for the games you do have a sensible decrease in performance.

I still think that Windows (even Vista) is a lot snappier. It's not very useful but it just reacts quicker than OSX when you open windows and stuff.

On my specs (see below) the exact opposite is true. For desktop responsiveness there is no comparison, OS X is considerably faster than Vista.

OS X is fun to use for general use and gaming (if you are not performance minded fro the games), but at least for the games you do have a sensible decrease in performance.

There is still debate over whether the OpenGL drivers on OS X are really multithreaded and/or if there are enabled which would make a huge difference in high end graphic games. When Unreal Tournament III gets released for OS X we'll have a decent native game for benchmarking that we can test the differences between Windows and OS X 3D.

(According to Codeweaver, GLSL support on OS X is pretty limited too.)