So I want to build a hackintosh

jndrader

6 posts in this topic

I've played around with it on some laptops but am frustrated by apple's lack of a mid-range headless computer. I want to build a quad-core 4-8GB desktop. I've searched through the wiki and forum to find compatible hardware. My goal is to have as much working out of the box as possible.

Update:

Ok, found this guide that I can probably follow, though I was hoping to do an install straight from the retail disc. That may not be possible though.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

Hardware:

Mobo - DFI Infinity P965-S or Asus P5W DH with Wifi

Proc - Core 2 Quad Q9300

RAM - 4GB Wintec AMPX DDR2 800

Video - Radeon HD3570

HD - Seagate 320GB SATA

Optical - LG BluRay/HDDVD 16X DVD burner(Will use BluRay functionality in windows)

Any opinions on this hardware keeping in mind OOB functionality?

I know the vid card can work with patches, but what I don't know is whether I can install using it. Will it just have reduced functionality?

I'll also be buying a retail copy of Leopard to lighten my guilt for installing OSx on a non-mac. I've seen references to installing with a retail DVD but many include modifying the install image. If there's a guide on how to pop in a retail DVD and install from there, I haven't found it in my searches. Any links or advice?

I assume EFI will be required and think I've found some guides on that, but more advice certainly won't be ignored.

What's the recommended route, if any, if I want to be able to accept apple updates?

Many questions I know and thanks in advance to those who respond. I have searched the forums and have saved some links that deal with the questions above but I think they're worth asking anyways in case there are some posts I missed.

Thanks!

Jason

see if you can find a mobo with the intel P35 chipset. Everything seems to work 100% with that chipset.

idk about ati, but my nvidia card worked without proper drivers, i just had a really screwed up resolution. Once i installed osx with the right drivers it was fine, so you should be able to install just fine.

see if you can find a mobo with the intel P35 chipset. Everything seems to work 100% with that chipset.

idk about ati, but my nvidia card worked without proper drivers, i just had a really screwed up resolution. Once i installed osx with the right drivers it was fine, so you should be able to install just fine.

I'll give that chipset a look. Thanks for the feedback!

My setup below works flawless. But it seems like my 7800GTX got some performance issues.. so a newer, more supported, one would be a better choice. :D

I got the gigabyte P35-DS3L because it was a pretty cheap considering what it does. Newegg has them for $89. I havent used it yet, im still waiting for my case and power supply to show up. But from what i hear, gigabyte P35 boards are the way to go.

I got the gigabyte P35-DS3L because it was a pretty cheap considering what it does. Newegg has them for $89. I havent used it yet, im still waiting for my case and power supply to show up. But from what i hear, gigabyte P35 boards are the way to go.

I got one of these too and its great but if i'd have known I'd have gone for the raid version with the alc889 audio.

I can only get stereo and only have 4 sata, jmicron ide is useless on all these boards