Help me please... Disk Utility can't see my sata hdd

cwchanwoo

15 posts in this topic

Help me please... Disk Utility can't see my sata hdd icon_sad.gif

but can see only DVD Drive

On 10.5.1 Kalyway Leopard

DVD -- Primary IDE Master (If i set it to primary ide slave - I got "Still waiting for root device")

HDD -- SATA 1

cpuaa0.jpg

boardgc6.jpg

optim2.jpg

I'm afraid there is no proven fix for this. Unless someone can prove me wrong. A genuine apple wouldn't take any brand of hard-drive you chuck at it, so your options are either to invest in a different brand of Hard-drive, or buy an IDE hard-drive. Other than that I have no solution related suggestions.

I'm afraid there is no proven fix for this. Unless someone can prove me wrong. A genuine apple wouldn't take any brand of hard-drive you chuck at it, so your options are either to invest in a different brand of Hard-drive, or buy an IDE hard-drive. Other than that I have no solution related suggestions.

Or try another distro of leopard.

This is not distro related as such, it is to do with the underlying chipset. You could try adding your Vendor and Device ID to the info.plist in appleVIAATA.kext.

This guide might help. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=47859

But this

For those who are using the search facility! The P5VD2-MX's infuriating Sata is now detected if you install Kalyway 10.5.1 - the SATA socket nearest the CPU

in the link that you gave me

I'm using 10.5.1 kalyway leopard to install, but I still got this prob.

I will try for this solution and report it back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone have solution for this problem, please told me how to do with it.

cwchanwoo,

your sata hd must work. I just today finished my installation with not the same controller, but i think your's should work with less hassle. Like NKEAR said , you have to add in your installation Dvd th id of your controller! The easiest way is if you have a copy of tiger installed to modify the AppleVIAATA kext. You add your ID in the SATA section. Disk utily will surely detect it if so.

I did that on my Dvd and the hd started spining during bootup installation! Post at which step you don't manage to succed.

I already have AppleVIAATA kext from AppleVIAATA.kext.universal.ICH9_spec_ids.zip that I searched from the internet

But I not sure that is the version from tiger.

I think your motherboard is different from mine but mine has three SATA sockets. If seen from the front of the computer there are two on the left, neither of which can 'see' the Sata drive and one situated to the rear of the motherboard which can. If yours is the same and Kalyway doesn't work, do try one of the other distros. I will have a look around and see if I can find anything further.

You have to, just for the installation, plug you sata drive to port num 1! On my motherbord, there are 4! The n°1 corrsponds at the bottom one. It's the only one that will work!

And for your Appleviaata.kext, if it's from 10.4.8, it should do! Place it in Dvd iso from onother running tiger, or from linux. If you can't, softwares like Transmac should be ok.

But don't forget to see that it has your controller Id! If not, place the Id in the file!

You have to, just for the installation, plug you sata drive to port num 1! On my motherbord, there are 4! The n°1 corrsponds at the bottom one. It's the only one that will work!

And for your Appleviaata.kext, if it's from 10.4.8, it should do! Place it in Dvd iso from onother running tiger, or from linux. If you can't, softwares like Transmac should be ok.

But don't forget to see that it has your controller Id! If not, place the Id in the file!

Please tell me how to add hardware id into instalation DVD step by step. I will try it.

Now, my computer is runing on windows xp sp2

Follow the guide.

Follow the guide that you told me? (yes or no)

But the next steps in you guide is I must have Mac OSX installed in my PC.

See read this...

Setup of MAC DMG

1. With Install DVD inserted open Disk Utility.

2. Click New Image icon.

3. Select DVD rom.

4. Select Read/Write from Compression Drop Down.

NOTE: I saved the DMG onto a Mac volume.

5. Click to create image.

Copying the Extensions.mkext file

Since I wasted alot of time and DVD's with regards to permissions

I rebooted into the Jass DVD and used it's TERMINAL to do the following:

1. Create a folder on a MAC partition (example: mkdir /Volumes/<YouDriveLabel>/TempMkext ).

2. Enter the following command : cd /System/Library

3. Enter the following command : cp -Rp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<YouDriveLabel>/TempMkext

or I misunderstood that.

Hey all! This is my first time using OSX and i stumbled along this thread while trying to solve the same problem. I have an asus P5VD2 motherboard, and have tried for ages to get os x on it. I have tried using the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk with the board still to no avail (*as mentioned in the thread for the board*) but still had no success with the sata drive being connected. I have tried setting up different jumpers for my DVD drive (though that is IDE and always detected anyway) and switching between the 2 onboard SATA ports and the JMicron controller on the motherboard itself for the SATA drive. Does anyone have any other ideas upon what i can do?

Many thanks, Ian.