Anyone else having OS stability issues? kernel panics too often?

5 posts in this topic

[scenario Explained.]

I've had a pretty stable OSx86 for at least a year now, eversince I recently reinstalled Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.1, haven't updated to 10.5.2 yet), I've been getting kernel panics really frequently. This drive was a clone/duplicate drive off a SATA drive in order for me to boot off the SAS drive. I've been running Kalyway 10.5.2 very stable for at least a month, none of these panics really occurred. So it kind of bewilders me on what could really be causing since I've been using the same kext/installations setup and it has been very stable, yet this (with the new SAS drive as primary) have been acting up every 20 minutes or so (I try not to run the intensive apps yet, until this is figured out)

Here's the very familar message:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

osxerror15nn.gif

After doing some searches, here are possible methods:

To diagnose the problem:

- Boot in verbose mode (-v) to identify the culprit

- Take note of where machine panic'd

Possible Causes:

- Hardware Malfunction

- Kext panics

Possible Solutions:

- Repair permissions on disk

- check + change settings in BIOS

You guys might have any suggestions regarding this problem? Maybe an update will take care of this? Just interested in your thoughts.

=====================================

REFERENCES:

What is a Kernal Panic?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227

The awesome screensaver here:

http://www.doomlaser.com/?p=12

boot with debug=0x100 as a startup option to see the real error message on screen.

You aren't using VMware are you?

I actually think I'm okay now, I guess in the process of reinstalling, the board set itself to sans AHCI mode, and I do happen to have an ICH9R controller, which does explain a lot. However, I do run VMware, at times I wonder if these instances are caused by the virtual machine itself. THe VMware would be designated for the windows OS. Any disadvantages of running it? I'm interested and curious to find out. Thanks for the reply. :blink:

I actually think I'm okay now, I guess in the process of reinstalling, the board set itself to sans AHCI mode, and I do happen to have an ICH9R controller, which does explain a lot.

Sure does, I have the same chipset and same issue with sans AHCI.

However, I do run VMware, at times I wonder if these instances are caused by the virtual machine itself. THe VMware would be designated for the windows OS. Any disadvantages of running it? I'm interested and curious to find out. Thanks for the reply. :(

I found a direct link to VMware Fusion causing lockups. (even in AHCI mode)

Now whether this was strictly Fusion or in combination with the large amount of memory I have I can't say and I haven't had time to test the latest version of Fusion either.

(Fusion runs but locks up after time and not using. (hours+))

Sure does, I have the same chipset and same issue with sans AHCI.

I found a direct link to VMware Fusion causing lockups. (even in AHCI mode)

Now whether this was strictly Fusion or in combination with the large amount of memory I have I can't say and I haven't had time to test the latest version of Fusion either.

(Fusion runs but locks up after time and not using. (hours+))

Interesting stuff Headrush, my Fusion has worked okay, fine, it does not seem very stable, sometimes I feel thats why there are those "snapshots", since younever know what could happen in a few hours...so yes, Fusion, for what I use it for (only 2-3 programs that are windows only), is perfect, I've totally eliminated the need for an additional PC. As for the memory/ram issue, I have about 8gb, I hope to move on to 16gb, we'll see. How much memory/ram do you designate for your windows OS? Also, do you happen to know how to install VMware Fusion on a secondary Hard Drive, instead of sharing a partition with the primary?

Secondly, the kernel panics can still happen whenever I transfer or touch the .webloc files on my IDE external drive. I think I will use it back on my iMac and remove the .webloc files entirely and just organize them in text documents, thats the only kernel panics, and reason I get them for now...so far, back to the stability I've had in thte past for a year.