Best Laptop

macmover

12 posts in this topic

I hate Windows. It's SUCH a burden! So I want to get rid of my current rig which is incompatible with Leopard and get an equivalent Laptop which is fully compatible, so can I rely on all you geniuses out there to help me? It will be greatly appreciated.

Get either an Acer or an Asus. They are really good for the price.If you can, Try and get one with an intel processor, an ATI or an Intel graphics Chipset, and a Broadcom Wireless card.
Thanks Steve :)Does anybody know of a Dell which would work? The Asus and Acers I've seen don't really meet the specs I want, but I could easily get an Inspiron or a Vostro.

Dell E1505 would just do the trick.

Presently looking at an Inspiron 1720 with the following specifications:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™

nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

320GB (5400RPM) SATA Dual Hard Drives (2X160GB)

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

For £680. If I can get rid of my present computer (LCD, 2GB memory, Pentium 4 3GHz, 300GB HDD, 8400GS) for £600, and use £80 of the money I get for my birthday in April, it's mine! Also, I found a guide to installing 10.5 on it:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

I love you guys :)

Presently looking at an Inspiron 1720 with the following specifications:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™

nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

320GB (5400RPM) SATA Dual Hard Drives (2X160GB)

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

For £680. If I can get rid of my present computer (LCD, 2GB memory, Pentium 4 3GHz, 300GB HDD, 8400GS) for £600, and use £80 of the money I get for my birthday in April, it's mine! Also, I found a guide to installing 10.5 on it:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

I love you guys :)

I Doubt you'd get 600 for a second hand PC unfortunately, Considering how much you can buy a new C2D for.

I'd say 100-150.

:/

I Doubt you'd get 600 for a second hand PC unfortunately, Considering how much you can buy a new C2D for.

I'd say 100-150.

:/

My friend seems to have found someone willing to give me £600, so fingers crossed! And I've only had it since Christmas, but I'm tired of it, I need portability more than ever considering I'm going to college next year, plus the laptop is slightly better than my current rig, and it runs OS X!

no offence but dont rely on that.. anyone to buy your pc from you for £600 is obviously a moron..

I paid £500 for my pc...

which is

quad core...2.4ghz

4gb of ram

8600GTS 512mb nvidia

500gb HDD

and a thermaltake case..

with a asus SLI motherboard..

Theres not a chance in hell anyones gonna pay £600 for yours when the one above is 100 pound cheaper and much faster...

Sorry to be blunt im not trying to be a prick. But i just wouldnt rely on it..

I have a acer aspire (in my sig) and it kinda runs leopard fine.. infact it runs leopard perfectly From a usb HDD but if i install on te internel laptop HDD the USB storage devices wont work in leo for some odd reason.. but i beleive that can be fixed..

no offence but dont rely on that.. anyone to buy your pc from you for £600 is obviously a moron..

I paid £500 for my pc...

which is

quad core...2.4ghz

4gb of ram

8600GTS 512mb nvidia

500gb HDD

and a thermaltake case..

with a asus SLI motherboard..

Theres not a chance in hell anyones gonna pay £600 for yours when the one above is 100 pound cheaper and much faster...

Sorry to be blunt im not trying to be a prick. But i just wouldnt rely on it..

I have a acer aspire (in my sig) and it kinda runs leopard fine.. infact it runs leopard perfectly From a usb HDD but if i install on te internel laptop HDD the USB storage devices wont work in leo for some odd reason.. but i beleive that can be fixed..

I do see what you're saying there pal, and thanks for the advice it is appreciated and no I'm not relying on it (it seems too good to be true doesn't it!) but the laptop I'm after is perfect for me AND Leopard!

yeah man, I really hope you get it and it all works fine! would be amazing to have leopard perfect on a laptop. I too am trying to get that perfect installation on my laptop.. as I would much rather use leo than windows.. especialy for coll/uni work!