invalid bs_jmpboot

ujen

9 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
10.5.2 on first part and vista on 2nd on a guid drive, in leopard i try to mount the vista drive it says invalid bs_jmpboot ;) any ideas?

I also had this error. the OSX installer wouldn't mount the partition I had prepared for OSX.

when I tried verifying the partition twice this is what happened.

Verifying volume "disk0s3"

** /dev/disk0s3

Invalid Bs_jmpBoot in boot block : 000000

Verify volume failed : Unrecognized File System

This is my 1st time trying to install OSX on my windows XP com

I hav 1 drive

3partitions C:,D:,E:

C: windows XPp 38GB primary ntfs

D: storage logical ntfs

E: leo part primary FAT32 (LBA)------is the LGA part the prob? I used AcronisDD to format NTFS to FAT32(LBA)

Windows cannot boot off of a GUID drive, at least I dont think it can.

Try booting from your windows CD and go to the repair console and type fixmbr.

BTW: This MIGHT mess up your leopard install. I will not be help liable. Back everything up. Welcome to the world of security.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I've had this problem for a while. I can't install mac on my second partion because I keep getting this error. I partioned it as a primary and almost all kinds of filesystem. It won't let me partition to macosx journaled. It works when the partition is logical but I get a invalid grub error (error 17 I believe). I read that mac can only be partitioned on a primary partition. Can anyone help me please?

• 1 month later...

same problem right now :).

3 partitions: 1st: primary winXP, 2nd: extended Data NTFS, 3rd: primary setup for OSX install (FAT32)

when I try to format to MAC OSX journaled i get the same error:

** /dev/disk0s3

Invalid Bs_jmpBoot in boot block : 000000

any ideas? thanks

• 2 months later...
10.5.2 on first part and vista on 2nd on a guid drive, in leopard i try to mount the vista drive it says invalid bs_jmpboot :) any ideas?

Hey hi.. I had this similar prob & was able to fix it. The reason y ur gettin it is probably coz there is an extended /logical partition before the OSx partition in the partition map/sequence. Hence the Disc Utilty refuses to format the OSX partition as HFS+ Journaled.

So my advice is to use partitioning tool Gparted & delete that extended partition(take a backup 1st incase u have data on it). Then create that unalloc space that results as a primary & use that as the new partition to boot OSX.Mark it as bootable & FAt32 partition type.

The Disc utilty of OSX shud then be able to format it well to HFS+ for OSX install..

• 7 months later...