can't boot without DVD

coffeecaveman

25 posts in this topic

hi,

i have managed to get Leopard running on my computer, but am unable to boot it without the DVD in the drive... all i get is a blinking cursor if it isn't present.... any ideas?? i'm assuming it's something to do with the bootloader, but haven't a clue what...

Setup is:

Dell Precision 670 Workstation

Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon Processors [i've disabled one to get it running]

1Gb RAM

nVidia Quattro 1300fx Graphics Card

I got no idea but another member suggested this in the forum and it worked so now I'm telling you. btw, you zero you hard during the installation. I suppose when you do a normal format it does not erase everything and leaves some data on the hdd.

try making your drive active and this is also what happened to me the drive was active everything EFI installed, then I tried installing it with GUID instead on MBR and it worked just my 2 cnts good luck

ok... so i found a way of zeroing the drive [disk util didn't work] but it still won't boot without the dvd in the drive... any ideas??

what partition scheme did you use? GUID or MBR

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)
update
f X --->(X is the number of the partition where you installed Leopard)
w
q
reboot

are you sure you typed the correct partition id?open terminal and type diskutil list see there whats your partition number and disk number

yeah, it's on disk3s1, which i'm assuming means disk 3 partition 1

when i get to the "w" part it says:

'Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]'

but i figured that just meant that i needed to reboot the machine before anything would happen...

• 2 months later...
yeah, when you run /usr/misc/script.sh after you've installed leopard, you have to unmount the disk using disk utility and run it then

that sorted it for me

Do you mean unmount the system disk (does not seem possible if the system is up and running) or do you mean unmount the dvd drive? Could you be a little more specific?

Do you mean unmount the system disk (does not seem possible if the system is up and running) or do you mean unmount the dvd drive? Could you be a little more specific?

i unmounted the main boot drive from within the installer, once i'd installed the OS...