Leopard Server - Is it worth it?

foodfightr

2 posts in this topic

It seems like just yesterday when I knew nothing about OS X. I was frustrated with Vista and unimpressed with Linux's alternatives to photoshop and office. I got a vanilla installation of Kalyway to work and upgraded it to 10.5.2. Life was great.

Now that I'm more comfortable with the operating system I'm becoming very interested in the possibility of installing OS X from a retail disc. My PC is somewhat of a frankenstein (see sig) and I'll likely be acquiring a laptop, hopefully a MacBook Air with the SSD. My intention is to use the laptop for work and as a portal to access my PC to perform resource intensive tasks.

The question now is... should I install Leopard Server? I won't be using it for a large corporate operation. I'm thinking light file sharing, apache and streaming multimedia. On windows the word server loosely translates to "this should crash less." Obviously, this translation doesn't really apply when you have the stability of OS X.

Am I going to get any use out of the added features in Leopard Server?

Will I lose functionality or be unable to use some of my applications?

Lets talk about the pros/cons and not the cost.

If you are just serving files to your laptop, no, it's probably not worth it.

If you want to run an iCal server, DNS server, Web Server, AND serve multiple clients, it would be a different story. Judging by your description, I would stick to good ol' Leopard client.