help plz, am on a deadline..

blackthornm

14 posts in this topic

hi

well, am totally new to this but i've been reading for hours, here is the situation, i have xp on an SSE2 p4, what i need to do asap is install leopard on another partition and dual boot, i searched and searched but didnt find what i was lookin for, cause as i understand it..my only option is KALWAY, and there is no guides that i found to install it with xp and dual boot, no i got this APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.ISO-OSX but after converting into an iso and burning..didnt boot..so am getting the kalway now but plz..tell me step by step what i need to do to make this work..any help would be really appreciated..thx alot in advance

Firstly BACK UP EVERYTHING, welcome to the forum and BACK UP EVERYTHING!!! :P

I'm assuming you have XP already installed.

If so you need to free up some space and then prepare it to install Leopard on. If you don't have any free space (as in your entire HDD has beem taken up) then you can probably use Partition Magic (or some other free application) to shrink the partition to free up some space.

Then use the diskpart method to prepare that partition to install OS X.

Then boot up the leopard DVD and when see the disks displayed (or you can do it earlier) open up Disk Utilities (somewhere at the top) and format the new partition as HFS+ and name it.

Then continue until you can select Custom Install. There you'll get to this image.

screen2qr7.png

There you'll need to select SSE2 patch.

Have everything under Vanilla Kernal deselected.

Also have Darwins MBR bootloader selected (not GUID unless you've formatted your entire HDD as GUID).

Then select any drivers you think you'll need (video, sound, ethernet) - I didn't need to select any.

That should be it.

More info on KALYWAYs DVD can be found in the Official Thread.

Hope it helps. :P

first, thx for the welcome and the reply, second..i still need to know how to dual boot after i install leopard and if there is any way to make APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.ISO-OSX boot cause its the one i have burned and am waisting time downloading the kalways one...cause it says that APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.ISO-OSX is a hybrid and works on both...cant get the pc to boot from it though :P thx alot..u guys rule!

If you're lucky Darwin OS Xs bootloader will detect the XP partition (as it has done with mine) and everything will be fine after you install Leopard. If for some reason Darwin doesn't find XP then you can make XP your active partition using fdisk and then use the chain0 method (search the wiki or forum for it) to dual boot using Windows bootloader instead.

But serious back the stuff up and give it a go. Get some simple basics (I think you've pretty much got most of them now) and give it a go. Only then will you learn and overcome any issues. Just remember to be prepared for it to fail and so backup everything.

u really have been very helpful in this, i already backed up everything, only thing remaining is some stuff on a partition in the same disk as the one am installin leopard on (can it be touched?! cause i cant back it up :P) and do u have any idea why APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.ISO-OSX wont load?! the DL dvd is just waisted :P lol..thx again :D

use kalyway,

its completely idiot proof (unless u forget to select the right bootloader)

It worked like a charm for my first n00b install and should work for yours.

And...yep if you dont burn it right you waste a dvd ;) i wasted like 3 when i started

Burn at the slowest speed possible to reduce the chances of burning a bad copy.

And yeah Kalyways DVD is the one to go for for beginners. As ubombmimac stated, the hardest thing is the bootloader. And I've already explained that.

Also while you're waiting for it to download consider looking up your system details in the OSx86 Project Wiki. Use a program like Everest (free edition) to find out more about your system details.

Good luck.

hi..am back, well, tried exactly what u said..only problem seems that after i partitioned and everything, then am rebooting to boot from dvd...darwin runs..then thats it..it keeps goin then before i get the install screen..it loops and keeps rebooting the same way..i tried -v command, the text keeps rolling..and when they r done, the pc just reboots.. :S HELP plz..this is hell <_<