DD near success

360freak

21 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Dimension E310, also known as a Dimension 3100 i believe. (specs are listed in sig) I used the leopard flat image to install 10.5.0 onto a seperate drive. I have a couple of questions though. Does anyone know what version of OSx86 this is? eg. kalyway... and is there a way to check? also, when I DDed the image, it automatically partitioned my 250 GB hard drive to 15 GB. Is there anyway I can adjust this, or set DD to create a larger partition? it doesnt look like i can adjust it in disk utility since the size is grayed out, which from what ive read, suggests that the image was possibly set to MBR during install, rather than GUID. i've tried the kalyway 10.5.1 disc, and it restarts everytime darwin starts. help is appreciated, and the more knowledge i gain through this, i will give back to the forum by helping others.

Unix 'dd' can not resize partitions or disks.

It tries to make identical clones.

I guess you need to use some cloning program for Mac, Carbon Copy Cloner or Acronis, never tried them myself.

Norton (Symantec) Ghost have been working well for windows and linux.

Perhaps CloneZilla (free software) can be used ?

Some light reading below.

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20040726230142403

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

http://www.unix.com/filesystems-disks-memo...dd-command.html

if i were you, i'd repartition my hard drive with two partitions - 15 gb for the first and the remaining 235gb for the other.

then dd leopard onto the first partition (dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress)

and later you can resize your partition to fit the whole disk from within leo.

check THIS POST (#167) for complete info

if i were you, i'd repartition my hard drive with two partitions - 15 gb for the first and the remaining 235gb for the other.

then dd leopard onto the first partition (dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress)

i cant resize because i think the original install of the image was set to MBR instead of GUID.

sadly, bump.

DD doesn't make partitions.

And I am not familar with flat image, but what you are doing is probably overwriting your partition table.

The way I would fix this is:

1) Partition your disk with a 15GB partition for flat image and another partition for the rest.

2) Google "man dd". There is a way to skip -- memory says the 1st 63 bytes but you better check -- in which the partition table lives so you don't overwrite it.

3) Boot your flat image, then use disk utility to "restore" to the larger partition.

i cant resize because i think the original install of the image was set to MBR instead of GUID.

yes you can.

to be more precise, you won't resize your partition, but merge it with the empty one next to it. check the link in my first post for partition merge command.

i did this on several different computers/laptops all partitioned with MBR, not GUID.

partitioned with windows diskpart (id=af).

first off, thanks so much for the help. when i try to use the command you provided, i get the following error: "--progress: Invalid command line argument!"

any suggestions?

first off, thanks so much for the help. when i try to use the command you provided, i get the following error: "--progress: Invalid command line argument!"

any suggestions?

you shouldn't have used the command i wrote because it needs to be modified to suit your system.

it was just an example

ok, here's the quick-and-dirty howto:

1. delete all partitions on target drive making it unpartitioned. you can do this from disk management (right click on my computer - manage - disk management)

2. in start-run type 'diskpart' (no quotes in any command from now on)

3. type 'list disk' - identify your disk according to the output of the command. remember the disk#, as you will need it for dd command.

4. type 'select disk X' - X is your disk# from step 3

5. type 'create partition primary size=15360 id=af' - this will make your leo partition sized perfectly for dd image

6. type 'create partition primary id=af' - this will make a second partition using remaining disk space

7. type 'list part' - just to verify the partitions are actually there (you can check from disk management as well)

7a. type 'select part 1' and then 'active' - makes leo partition active (if you wish to do so, but usually it makes sense only when multibooting from the same disk)

8. type 'exit' to leave diskpart

9. create a go.bat file in the folder containing the image file with notepad. content:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition1 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

REPLACE X with your disk# from step 3

10. execute go.bat

10a. copy chain0 file to the root of your C drive in windows and edit boot.ini file to point to it for osx boot entry (search for 'chain0 method' on this forum)

11. reboot, and if you did step 10a youshould be able to choose your os. once in leopard, open terminal and issue following commands:

diskutil list
diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New diskXs1 diskXs2

REPLACE X with your disk# from 'diskutil list' output

thanks again for taking the time to help me. coincidentally, harddisk1 is the harddisk that i am supposed to use, so your original command would have originally done the job. anyway, i used the method provided, and got the same error message again. as for the chain0 part, i use acronis, so im good for that part.

thanks again for taking the time to help me. coincidentally, harddisk1 is the harddisk that i am supposed to use, so your original command would have originally done the job. anyway, i used the method provided, and got the same error message again. as for the chain0 part, i use acronis, so im good for that part.

well, you can use dd command without --progress switch, but then you won't have progress indicator.

nevertheless, if you use it from the bat file, the window will close when done - should take about 10mins.

maybe your version of 'dd" proggie doesn't support that switch, but i know that command worked for me every time.

don't know what could be the problem.

doublecheck if dd.exe and the image file are in the same folder as your go.bat

don't have it here, but tomorrow i'll upload dd.exe and batch file i used.

maybe the problem is different version of dd.exe, but it's a long shot.

This is getting a little too complicated I think.

I installed from a flat image and resized to a 500GB drive. Look at the sticky!! Particularly Zuza's post:

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

are you gonna upload?

here are the files

sorry, but i've been very busy these days.

the tv show i'm editing starts airing on tuesday.

lots of stuff still to do...

dd_bat.rar

360freak

when I DDed the image, it automatically partitioned my 250 GB hard drive to 15 GB. Is there anyway I can adjust this, or set DD to create a larger partition?

You have successfully dd-ed the image - just follow the increase partition size instructions from Atlee's post that Zarac provided the link to

God bless you all and thank you for your time and effort in helping me. Zarac, your version of DD was different than mine, so thanks for uploading! Thanks unohoo also! Once my Griffin iMic comes in so I can use sound, I'll have it running flawlessly, and I'll post a success story and add to the compatibility list. One last thing though...does anyone know which version I'm actually running with this image? eg. KalyWay, Leo4all, iAKTOS...