b0 error on Dell Inspiron 1520 Dual Boot Winxp/Leopard

seekdestroy16

6 posts in this topic

I tried following these instructions, downloaded the utility burned it on a disc and nothing happened after I finished: http://gsbd41316.wordpress.com/2006/08/01/b0-boot-error-fix/

I used the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 Intel sse2 sse3 and it installed on the second partition successfully but, it did not boot. Everytime I boot up my laptop it just says b0 error and nothing else. I've heard of the "PPF-O-Matic" patch but I don't know where to get it and how to use it. I went here aswell: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/B0_error

I followed the directions but when I tried to save it said Access Denied or something...

Thanks in advance for any input.

EDIT:

Followed these directions: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

This is how it turns out:

1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd DONE

2. 2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal DONE

3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on DONE

Type diskutil list DONE

Shows: Apple_HFS Leopard 36.1 Gi disk0s2

4. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

What I got: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0s2

fdisk: 1>

p (shows everything "unused" for some reason, though I'm sure that disk0s2 is the right partition

f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:1>

write

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1>

exit

So I restarted and still got the b0 error, I dont know why it's giving me this message...I'm totally lost

I've got the same problem, tried both fixes from the wiki, and this one:

When this solution does not work, try this:  <p>Start the computer with the CD.  </p><p>Wait until you can start the Terminal from the menu  </p><p>Type this:  </p><p><code>fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0</code> (or any other number if it is not the first disk)  </p><p>Quit the Terminal  </p><p>Quit the Installer  </p><p>A dialog box apears  </p><p>Click "Choose Startup Disk"  </p><p>Choose your first disk  </p><p>Click Reboot . .  </p>

the "choose startup disk" dosn't show my harddrive - just network startup. I have no idea what to do next. I've tried the install with and without vanilla kernel, tried the different boot options - I am trying to jsut install it over the entire disk not mix it with any other OS...

then you must be flagging the wrong partition then!

how many partition have you and what is on each?

I had 2 partitions 1 with Windows XP Home, and Mac OSX Leopard. After you can attempt to boot the osx partition instead of just the disc, easily by booting off the disc but not pressing any keys. It didnt even boot correctly, the spinning thing in the middle froze everytime. I used partedlogic to flag the osx partition as an active boot partition, it still gave me that damn b0 error. So since this is a brand new laptop, not being able to boot at all because of this one error, I deleted the osx partition to see if i can boot into windows... well guess what... I wasnt even able to boot into windows at all anymore either. So I had to delete that partition aswell and reformat/reinstall Winxp. I dont know why this b0 error has to be such a {censored}.

I had 2 partitions 1 with Windows XP Home, and Mac OSX Leopard. After you can attempt to boot the osx partition instead of just the disc, easily by booting off the disc but not pressing any keys. It didnt even boot correctly, the spinning thing in the middle froze everytime. I used partedlogic to flag the osx partition as an active boot partition, it still gave me that damn b0 error. So since this is a brand new laptop, not being able to boot at all because of this one error, I deleted the osx partition to see if i can boot into windows... well guess what... I wasnt even able to boot into windows at all anymore either. So I had to delete that partition aswell and reformat/reinstall Winxp. I dont know why this b0 error has to be such a {censored}.

This thread can help you to get Leo loaded on your 1520.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526

As you will see most of us are running with iAtkos. If you are running an Intel x3100 it is a little quirky but it does work fine once it is up and running.

• 4 months later...