No Video Acceleration. But what does it matter?

Tejekion

7 posts in this topic

Ok. After spending the weekend trying to get 2D and 3D acceleration working on my Dell Dimension 3000(Intel 865G Chipset, 2.8GHZ Prescott P4). with integrated only graphics, but was unable to find any usable documentation specifically for integrated 865G video.

I actually screwed up my install so bad I had to reinstall it. So after finally getting it going again, I decided to try doing everything on it, that I saw the need for(At least the immediate need for). You see, I plan to use Leopard, for learning how to perform MacOS, and Linux/Unix'ish type commands from the terminal window.

I have ran several different movie and music types without video acceleration, and even doddled a bit with the nVu website builder. I also ran several utility programs and office apps. I ran a C64 emulator and EUAE(An Amiga Emulator for those that don't know). And I can't see anywhere where I need video acceleration.

I absolutely DO NOT plan to run any games on this PC as I have a Windows PC to do that with. The MacOS is purely for non-graphical apps.

My question is, Do I even need to worry about video acceleration? I mean I'm getting a faster response time opening windows on the Dimension 3000 in Mac than I ever did with Windows already(I'm refering to Windows XP). If anything I'll need to do audio, which I may need help for(Dunno if the audio is working because the Dell 3000 has an internal speaker that I was using for sound. Leopard didn't recognize it, but I am getting great sound out of my USB speakers.).

In fact I haven't found anything that the Mac can't do already. Without 2D or 3D acceleration.

What will going through the trouble of trying to get it working help? And if it IS worth it, can someone point me in the right direction on how to do it??

Oh and one more question. Since OS X basically displays all their graphics in GL(So my mac knowlegeable friend says), I bought a PCI based nVidia Quadro w/64MB RAM(Couldn't find one bigger in PCI.). Will it be supported? Or does the chipset have to be supported. I mean I'm thinking a GL card should work best right? :D

Lemme know.

Normally without QE / CI you can't watch DVDs or run some programs like Photoshop or stuff.

I have a system with an unsupported nvidia 6150 and system runs fine with MS Office and all the other apps but all graphic and video programs don't want to work.

It matters on OS 10.5.2, if you can replace your video card then do it, the whole experience with OS 10.5.2 will not be relized without this compaitablity.

my 2 cents

But what am I missing....it looks great to me. I can't find any DVDs to test the video with. But so far I can play DivX, Quicktime, AVI, and MPEG. That's pretty much everything isn't it?

I think I have seen one thing that isn't working. The screen saver, but I can live without that.

If you just want to test out Mac OS X ( the way Mac OS behaves etc.), then you could just live without QE/CI. Think of it as the counterpart of DirectX..

QE/CI is important for most of the iApps (iLife, iWork) etc. Most of the essence of Leopard needs QE/CI (coverflow etc.)

In my experience, that was my goal too. Just to test out Mac OS X when I still don't have a decent or compatible video card. But when I see a lot of people enjoying the iApps, i became jealous. So, come on bro. Go buy a cheap vid card. :rolleyes:

@komeet - I think you could run Photoshop without QE/CI. A lot of people say they manage to run Photoshop without QE/CI. I think you are referring to the 3D part of Photoshop CS3.

I guess this is where being renewed to OS X leaves me at somewhat of an advantage. the last time I used OS X(OS X 10.3.3), I didn't really learn much about the good things in MacOS. I only had my Blue and White for about 3 weeks before botching it while trying to upgrade it to a G4-500MHZ processor.

I don't think it had to many of the features that Leopard has in it anyway. All of the third Party apps(Or rather the few third party apps) that I ran before are running now so I hope buying this card makes a significant difference.