Rosetta is flawless

mikesown

14 posts in this topic

I went to the Apple store today to try out the new intel Macs. No macbooks were at the store yet, so I went over to the new iMacs. I opened up google earth, and played around with it a bit. It worked perfectly, just like on my windows machine at home. I assumed it was a universal binary, but I decided to check. It was a powerpc app. I couldn't believe it. The animations were flawless. If anything, I would have expected rosetta to fail on a graphics and bandwidth intestive app like google earth. Really, apple has done an amazing job with rosetta.

I went to the Apple store today to try out the new intel Macs. No macbooks were at the store yet, so I went over to the new iMacs. I opened up google earth, and played around with it a bit. It worked perfectly, just like on my windows machine at home. I assumed it was a universal binary, but I decided to check. It was a powerpc app. I couldn't believe it. The animations were flawless. If anything, I would have expected rosetta to fail on a graphics and bandwidth intestive app like google earth. Really, apple has done an amazing job with rosetta.

I can't help but say some of my apps are broken under Rosetta in 10.4.4 (Halo Demo).

New001 this problem is due to the ATI RADEON not Rosetta im quite sure, just because from .4 cracked by mAXXUSS WOW now works even under Rosetta so i just think this is linked to the video card. THe best to confirm it is some1 trying with X1600 the only card having the resolution choice menu

where did you hear of anyone having the ability to reschange on an X1600 on a hackintosh? afaik this is not the case so far (only plist boot-time resolution change).

if its true, i'd love to know how, as my X1800XL seems to be limiting me to 1280x1024...

hum...let me check for the resolution choice menu...u must be right i think i confused with GMA900 right, which normally should work with HALO DEMO etc.

I remember that guys having GMA could play WOW and now with 10.4.4 we can run it using ROSETTA which wasnt possible before...it's all due to video card hence the driver used.

Maybe u should try even the HALO demo if u have the X1800 because u use another kext files. Btw do u have the mouse tearing bug? is yours using AGP or PCI-E?

thanx

okay out of subject : in fact it seems that MOUSE TEARING bug is still there in 10.4.4 even on X1600 i guess people dont open their eyes : let me explain : first i ask the one who doesnt have the mouse tearing to launch UT2004 and tell me after exiting the mouse works

secondly if no1 has the resolution menu in the preference panel that means ATINDRV directory (bundle etc) isnt load so doesnt working like it should on REAL IMAC

then take the conclusion u want but i bet this can be fix by having a look by Maxxuss into why the ATINDRV directory (located into kext dir) isnt load at startup or cannot be

fair enough, but i want to avoid the usual cliche of asking maxxuss to do everything - lord knows he's done enough for this community. there are others with a lot of knowledge about the graphics drivers who are already looking into this (they have the EFI firmware from the iMac's X1600 etc).

we shall see...