Patching my Kalyways 10.5.1 to Support my Hardware

Panarchy

22 posts in this topic

Hello!

This is my hardware;

Case: Antec P182

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E WiFi

RAM: 2x2GB Transcend 800 (will be upgrading to 4x2GB Transcend 800)

Graphics Card: GIGABYTE 8800GTS 512MB (G92)

Hard-Drives: Western Digital 400GB IDE, Maxtor 500GB SATA

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600

Heatsink/Fan: Zalman CNPS 9700LED

DVD Drive: SATA 20x

Monitor: ASUS VW222U (22'')

Speakers: Altec Lansing VS4121

Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0

Mouse: Logitech (can find the model number, but it's a laser mouse)

Do any of them need patching?

I haven't yet installed Kalyway...

But once I have and patched it for my hardware, I will update my Kalyway to 10.5.2

So, please tell me how I should go about patching them.

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

OK I'll do the research for you now, but make sure to research next time :) Watch this post, I'm gonna research what you need and post it here :)

EDIT: OK heres a full install guide for iATKOS with your motherboard:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69132

Scroll down to the "EDIT: iATkOS" line in that post and read from there, the top part is for Leopard flat image (you don't need it). And also, don't install the 8800 graphics card driver mentioned in that guide either, because its for G80 and yours is G92. You can use this method for your card:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89001

Or if that one doesn't work, this one:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78980

Make sure that when you are installing iATKOS you choose all the EFI and vanilla options because your CPU supports it. That should cover everything ;)

OK I'll do the research for you now, but make sure to research next time :) Watch this post, I'm gonna research what you need and post it here :)

That's why I always give you links to the answers for your questions instead of just the answer directly. Force people to learn or they will continue to be lazy.

The ASUS P5K-E is a pretty common motherboard and I know I've seen several lengthy threads just for it. ;)

^Headrush!, I have an ellipsis to give give to you: ...

PCWhiz, thanks!

Wait, do I do this iAtkos thing before or after installing Kalyway?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Headrush69,

I knew there was logic behind that ;) Its not that I didn't research, I just couldn't find it. Believe me, I went through 3 pages of Google results. And in most cases I didn't know what to search FOR. :)

Panarchy,

You don't use Kalyway (although you could if you wanted to). The guide is for iATKOS, another DVD distro like Kalyway.

Headrush69,

I knew there was logic behind that :) Its not that I didn't research, I just couldn't find it. Believe me, I went through 3 pages of Google results. And in most cases I didn't know what to search FOR. ;)

I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't search, its all good.

No, iATKOS is 10.5.1. You have to update to 10.5.2 but its not hard. Yes, you could get it at the Bay of Pirates. Get v1.0iR2 rather than v1.0i if its available.

Okay thanks.

Are there any real important changes in 10.5.2 that will effect me, or should I wait for the next version? Or will I be fine with 10.5.1?

I don't really need wireless...

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Are there any real important changes in 10.5.2 that will effect me, or should I wait for the next version? Or will I be fine with 10.5.1?

Video drivers for your card are in 10.5.2. (Although you could install "hacked" 10.5.2 ones into 10.5.1, better to get the full update.)

Oh.

Okay, thanks.

Does the 10.5.2 one have all the drivers needed for my hardware, or will I still need to patch some of my hardware? If I still need to patch some of my hardware, which hardware will be of need of patching?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: Where do I get 10.5.2?

No, that should be all the drivers you need. Just follow the guide I posted a link to and update to 10.5.2. There are 2 methods you could update to 10.5.2 using. One is the manual update method which is a bit harder, it uses the original Apple update. Guide here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87078

The second and easier method is to use the Kalyway 10.5.2 packaged updater. Its very easy, this is all you have to do:

NOTE to mods: I am going to post torrent links here to the update packages, I don't see it as pirating as it is just distributing a modified version of a FREE software update, but feel free to remove the links if you feel it is necessary.

1) Once your 10.5.1 is working nice and dandy, download the Kalyway 10.5.2 update package. Extract the zip, and install the package inside. Reboot, and note that your reboot after the update will take a long time, about 2 minutes at a black screen. This is normal. Now repair permissions with Disk Utility.

2) After you have rebooted after installing that update package, download the kalyway kernels package here. Again, unzip and run the installer inside. When it comes to the part where you select a patched or vanilla kernel, assuming you installed the EFI option on the install DVD, choose the vanilla kernel and install. Reboot after installation and repair permissions with Disk Utility.

3) After that, you just install the Leopard Graphics Update from Apple which can be downloaded directly from Apple's site here. Mount the DMG and run the installer again, reboot and everything should be working. Repair permissions once again with Disk Utility

Note: You notice that multiple times I say to repair permissions, heres how you do it if you don't know how: Open the Disk Utility program from /Applications/Utilities, select your OS X volume from the right, and click the Repair Permissions button.

Hope this covers it :)

P.S. I'm being waaaay too nice by typing up the instructions myself for you rather than telling you to research :P

Okay, it's downloading now (less than 6 hours remaining)

Just a quick question ,(about iATKOS 1.0ir2 which is downloading now), can I patch it before I burn it to a DVD? (that is patch it with 10.5.2)?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy