Vanilla 9.2.0 kernel issue

komeet

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm using Kalyway's distro with Kaly's combo and kernel update. Actually the system runs fine on both cores but I've got a problem with the new vanilla kernel. When I'm using kernel 9.2 (the one which is provided with Kaly's kernel update) I've got a horrible sound stuttering. I can't play any mp3 oder video file. It seems that the system acts normal and even Xbench doesn't show any performance loss. I switched back to the old 9.1 kernel and the sound stuttering was gone but I've got some other problems because 10.5.2 doesn't like the old kernel. I also tried idlehalt=0 and cpuidle=0 but nothing worked. I even tried cpus=1 and the problem still existed so it isn't a cpu problem I guess.

Have any of you guys experienced the same problem? Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks.

I can't help really, except to say "try a kernel that isn't vanilla". I had weird sound glitches and my clock kept drifting until I got a different kernel and those problems suddenly went away. Depressing since I like Vanilla-ness, but I guess I have to take what I can get.

Yeah I tried that and the netkas kernel is working so far but as you said I like the vanillaness too. And the system runs faster with vanilla kernel (at least xbench says so)

But you are right we have to take what we get ;)

Thanks anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Is the CPU Frequenzy the same as it is in real if not you must modify the com.apple.Boot.plist

go to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

and change it to:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>fsb=[your FSB]</string>

and after that repair permissions and reboot i had that stuttering in 10.4.11 and earlier and I fixed it with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone was able to solve this problem?

I'm also having a sound stuttering when using VLC although QT and iTunes work fine.

The issue of showing wrong values for processor speed and FSB was successfully solved by using an updated AppleSMBios.kext -

now both processor and FSB values are displayed correctly but sound stuttering is going on. Another strange thing is the sound distortion

whenever I use iTunes and system sounds - in this case system sounds are distorted.

Anyone was able to solve this problem?

I'm also having a sound stuttering when using VLC although QT and iTunes work fine.

The issue of showing wrong values for processor speed and FSB was successfully solved by using an updated AppleSMBios.kext -

now both processor and FSB values are displayed correctly but sound stuttering is going on. Another strange thing is the sound distortion

whenever I use iTunes and system sounds - in this case system sounds are distorted.

Try to put your laptop to sleep and wake it back up and check to see if your sound still studders. For some reason the sleep cycle seems to straighten out a lot of different things.

@nos4ar2: I tried the fsb thing but it didn't change anything. It's a pity :) But thanks for the idea.

@ GimmeRed: The sleep thing didn't work either. Hmm...

@Lenka-Penka: I experience exact the same problem. iTunes and Quicktime works fine but VLC, system sound and some other programs don't.

Hi komeet,

i see. Can you verify if your clocks runs slow?

Uncheck "automatic time update" and see what will happen after 20-30 minutes when

you check this again.

Also, do you have a similar issue with sound like described here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35188 ? He even gives an audio sample of what was going on.

Ok, thanks to Theanine, this problem is resolved for me now.

The issue was with the wrong CPU speed. In my case it was 2,2GHz instead of 2,1GHz,

although in the menu "About this Mac" the speed was 2,1GHz.

Theanine suggested to use Kabyl Kernel, which doesn't have such problem with setting wrong speed.

• 3 weeks later...

The issue was with the wrong CPU speed. In my case it was 2,2GHz instead of 2,1GHz,

Theanine suggested to use Kabyl Kernel, which doesn't have such problem with setting wrong speed.

If this is still unknown, the 10.5.3 update completely resolves sound stuttering under Vanilla 9.2.X -- 9.3.0. :police: What caused it though?

• 7 months later...

Did you change your CPU Speed or did you just use a non vanilla kernel?

And non vanilla kernel solves the problem for me too but I would like to use the stock one.

If this is still unknown, the 10.5.3 update completely resolves sound stuttering under Vanilla 9.2.X -- 9.3.0. :( What caused it though?

No, not really. I'm using 10.5.5 with vanilla 9.5.0 and the stuttering still exist :-(