3dfx Leopard Drivers? Are they feasible

WaRya

5 posts in this topic

I have an Intel 865G based Dell 3000 desktop, and I can't seem to find the AppleIntel830 and AppleIntel Integrated kext files to edit in order to get a higher screenmode(Heh Amiga Rules!). However, while poking around on the web for days looking for them to download, I remembered that I have the Voodoo 3 3000, and ATi Rage 128 Pro videocards at home. Both with Mac Bioses(I guess that's a word right?!).

Well I came across some linux drivers for 3dfx and I was going to download and compile them to see if it would work, but this guy I work with, who happens to be something of a Mac guru, that said that it wouldn't work because of the difference in the Kernels. I read about the differences in the kernel probably an hour before he said that, so I figure he's right on that.

However I am wondering if someone else has that source code available or have they tried and failed or if its even feasible. Also will my Rage 128 PCI give me higher screen resolution, and thus negate the need for a 3dfx driver? And do I need to put a PC Bios on the cards in order for the PC and by extention OS X to even see them? I by far am no programmer and can't even tie my own shoes when it comes to writing script files. But thing I do have is a willingness to try and see this through at least as far as I have to in order to get my hardware working(Can't test your HW necessarily so you'll have to tend to that. :wacko: )

Also if someone has those kext files already would they be so kind as to send them to me? :P

will my Rage 128 PCI give me higher screen resolution, and thus negate the need for a 3dfx driver? And do I need to put a PC Bios on the cards in order for the PC and by extention OS X to even see them?

I think you will have better luck trying to get the Rage 128 to work since there are OSX kexts for it--at least in Tiger there is. Yes, probably would need to flash a BIOS to it, but I don't really know. The Rage 128 can drive up to 1920 x 1200 if it is a 32MB card.

• 1 year later...

AFAIK no chance to get a Rage 128 card to work. Since no Intel macs come with that card (nothing since old G4s!) there are no i386 versions of the kexts.

EDIT:

Oh and I just realized, the Mac versions of the card wouldn't even work in a PC I don't think because they're probably not made to function with a BIOS. Macs of the period didn't even use EFI. That's why you can't use an off-the-shelf PC graphics card in even an Intel Mac.