Remove VirusBarrier X5?

rob356

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to remove VirusBarrier X5. I know that Macs don't get viruses, but I was feeling paranoid so I 'downloaded' it and it found nothing, no surprises, and I just AppZapped it. Well I just looked in Activity Monitor and there are about 20 "virusbarrier" process, using over a hundred mb of memory! How can I remove it completely. Killing the process doesn't work, it just launches again. There site isn't helpful, but that is not a surprises. Can someone help?

I know that Macs don't get viruses

What?? Who told you that?

Well I just looked in Activity Monitor and there are about 20 "virusbarrier" process, using over a hundred mb of memory!

I'm guessing that's virtual memory, which is not the same as real memory. Anyway, did you reboot after removing it? Did you check the startup items for your account in system preferences?

yup nothing in sys preferences, and sorry, macs get so few viruses, but they need your admin password to do anything. They are using over a hundred mb of REAL memory, and I have used up almost all of my 2gb. You don't even want to know about the VM. Can anyone help?

• 6 months later...

http://support2.intego.com/kb/index.php?x=...id=2&id=214

What people usually do is to erase the hard-drive and reinstall Mac OS X before giving the computer to its new owner.

This protects you from the risk of any use or misuse of your data.

-If you still prefer to only uninstall Intego software, please use the Uninstall function provided by any Intego installer.

This method will work for both licensed and trial versions of the Intego software.

-If you have already tried to manually uninstall portions of Intego software, this will lead to a partial uninstall, even if you used Finder spotlight search to locate Intego files.

In this case, you will need first to reinstall Intego software before being able to proceed to a clean and complete uninstall.

If you bought a one-seat license of Intego products and you wish to install them on a new computer, you can:

- uninstall them from the old computer prior to re-installing them on the new one.

- or purchase an additional license for the new Mac.

Note:

If you don't have an Intego installer on hand to uninstall Intego software, you can download the following tool:

http://www.integodownload.com/mac/X/IntegoUninstaller.dmg

Funny what you can get by reading the manual. =P