LENOVO IdeaPad Y-510

loopster

6 posts in this topic

Bought a new lenovo ideapad y510 hoping to install a fresh kalyway install. put the disc in and booted up the drive. installer loads for a couple minutes but as soon as the gray apple logo appears the computer reboots immediately. i also tried the iatkos install dvd. i get to the grey apple logo and spinning circle but it wont go past that. i have tried putting the sata controller in compatability mode in the bios but that did nothing. seeing as many of the thinkpads seem to install leopard fine i am dumbfuzzled at whats preventing the install to work. i would greatly appreciate some help.

thanks

loop

update:

well after some experimentation i finally got the installer to load. used cpus=1 in darwin and it finally loaded. went throught the install several times now but i just cant seem to find a working config to install with. ive tried with.without efi, with/without vaniall kernels. everytime i reboot after the install it loads the gray screen for a minute and just hangs there. using -v at darwin it seems to hang right after the MAC framework is loaded. forgot to mention that i am installing this to a external drive but that shouldnt have any bearing on the the problem from what i know.. any help guys??

• 1 month later...

Have you ever tried to install on a dedicated primary partition on the internal hard disk?

You can also try to install on a virtual machine in Vmware with just the basic drivers and then create a flat image of the virtual disk with something like Acronis True Image, restore the image you've created on a partition on your hard disk (remember when you install to keep the boot sector as MBR).

Now you should use Mac Drive that allow you to edit the HFS+ filesystem from windows, and you can copy/paste/delete/edit the .kext files in your Mac directories as long as you know wich are useful for your laptop.

Hope i've helped you.

• 2 months later...

I have the same laptop. Haven't tried installing Leopard in it yet but I can tell you that there's no real point in trying right now, unless your laptop will be tethered to an ethernet cable, because the wireless card, the Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN, isn't functional in Leopard yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to order this laptop Saturday. I'd like to run OS X on it, but if it's not possible, no biggie.

I'm ordering the 2ghz Core 2 Duo version.. do you guys have this or the "Pentium Dual Core" processor? I'd be curious to know if the C2D version does or doesn't require cpus=1. I also have all intentions of swapping out the internal wifi card for a fully compatible one. Anything else I should be worried about with this machine?

I guess these are questions I'll find out, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this laptop, or made any more progress with it.

• 1 month later...

To let you know, I am running macosx 10.5.2 Jas OS. I have original Mac OSX DVD - I tried installing using boot-123, and my system hangs after dsm... kext file. I have no ethernet, wifi and system hangs after 5 minutes of going to sleep.

If I have wifi on, the USB ports on left side do not work. and if I turn off the wifi switch, USB ports on the left side work. I tried upgrading to 10.5.5 update using combo -- in the middle of update, system died by having the grey screen of death (GSOD).

I am using MBR partition for installation and only one OS right now. I hope that helps and if you can help, I would appreciate it.

SYSTEM:

Lenovo Y510

core 2 duo centrino

wifi -- 4965AG

2GB RAM, 250GB HDD

Thank you in advance.