firewire PCI card not working !

pecos

7 posts in this topic

hello,

my problem is :

i can not use my firewire PCI cards on my hackintosh.

i have two IEEE 1394 PCI cards, one with a chipset VIA 6307, the other with a chipset NEC , none of them working on my system :

• MB asrock conroe 1333-d667

• (chipsets intel 945 GM and ICH 7)

• pentium dual core e2180

• 2 GO DDR2 667

• HD serial ata samsung 160 GO

• MAC OS 10.4.11

• kernel 8.10.1

the question is : how could i get firewire support on this hackintosh ?

because, i need it for my camcorder... ;)

do i have to install kext ?

thanks in advance for your responses, and please apologize for my poor english, this is not my native language !

--------------------------------------------

in system profiler, i can read this (with the VIA firewire adapter and a firewire external HD pluged in it):

of course, the firewire external disk doesn't mount on desktop, and disk utility doesn't find it.

• "firewire" :

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Unknown Device:

Manufacturer: Unknown

Model: Unknown Device

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

• "PCI cards" :

No information found.

• 10 months later...

I have the same problem, I have found the drive is detected right after booting and then becomes an unknown device after some time, but if I unplug it and plug it again its redetected correctly.

I'm guessing it could be related to some power management bug...

The weird thing for me was that for some time I could use one of these cards to use my iSight and an Apogee Duet. Thought I could not do it for a long time, after lets say, half an hour of usage of any of these devices, I would get a kernel panic. Then it stopped recognizing any device and now it does not matter what I do, even if I leave alone the pci card and no other pci card installed, it does not recognize the devices. It powers them though for some seconds and then goodbye. The iSight, for example gets power and shows that the LED is working, and then it makes the noise that it makes when moves the lenses to focus, after that it powers down the iSight.

Weird thing.

After looking for information I have seen that there is a card called: EXSYS EX-6450 which can be found in this german reseller that I trust because I have bought some other devices from them flawlesly:

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GRO...1dac15c9057d562

which is cheaper than most of the ones I have seen and which apparently works for most people. Though not for everybody. It has a TI chipset (Texas Instruments), which after my research, reading here in the Insanelymac forums, and without really testing any more hardware, I have found to be the most compatible Firewire chipset brand with Apple, because it is the brand that they had always used to built their computers till recently they changed in the new macbooks to Agere chipsets.

I am attaching to this message a PDF with the device specifications from this device.

If anyone that has a experience with this PCI Firewire card could share with us, it would be great :P

By the way the system that I use to try this hardware is based upon this hardware:

Firewire PCI Cards really tested by me:

1) Vivanco Item.no: 14051 serial number: ST03100 7 4 9, which worked for some time but gave me several kernel panics. 3 extertnal firewire 400 ports and 1 internal. CHIPSET: NEC JAPAN 072874GC/0340E3036

2) Delock 3xexternal firewire 400 and 1xinternal fw 400. Serial number: TS 07020006664. CHIPSET: NEC JAPAN 072874CG/0619L3032

And the rest of the hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945-GCM-S2L (all the drivers - ethernet and sound- can be found at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94561). Beaware that the sound driver in this thread is not as good as the one pointed below here. So for the sound keep reading. Only flaw, it does not restart. I had tried several kext for that and I just got tired of trying. Thanks to the programm Fruitmenu from Unsanity I could remove the restart option in the Apple menu.

Graphics Card: PNY Geforce 7300 GS (detected and working out of the box)

Processor: Intel Celeron E1200 at 1.6 GHz Double Core

RAM: Kingston 2 Gb

Case: Silverstone LC16M Home Theather Case (trying to learn how to configure LCDPROC to show messages from GrowlApp in the LCD). Buttons in the front side recognized, I dont know if thanks to the ControllerMate app. Volumne knob not recognized yet, but I have heard LIRC can be set up to do that.

Sound: ALC662 (drivers under development, apparently all working except mic in the front panel thanks to the post number 50 in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3460&st=40)

PSU: Tacens Radix II

Keyboards: Dinovo mini. All working like expected thanks to Controllermate app, but the media center button and the "<" and ">" buttons. Logitech flat keyboard. Again all working but the leds dont and the keys that didnt thanks to Controllermate I reprogrammed to do what I liked. This keyboard works better in Mac than in windows for me! In windows I dont know why it used to disconnect and I had to set it all up again and again, which does not under mac.

Mouse: Logitech G9. Programmed to do what I want with Controllermate, because there was no logitech software for mac.

Bluetooth: Broadcom USB adapter: Manufacturer: Broadcom. Firmware Version: 3.16384 (3.17166). Runs flawlessly.

• 4 months later...
hello,

my problem is :

i can not use my firewire PCI cards on my hackintosh.

i have two IEEE 1394 PCI cards, one with a chipset VIA 6307, the other with a chipset NEC , none of them working on my system :

• MB asrock conroe 1333-d667

• (chipsets intel 945 GM and ICH 7)

• pentium dual core e2180

• 2 GO DDR2 667

• HD serial ata samsung 160 GO

• MAC OS 10.4.11

• kernel 8.10.1

the question is : how could i get firewire support on this hackintosh ?

because, i need it for my camcorder... :huh:

do i have to install kext ?

thanks in advance for your responses, and please apologize for my poor english, this is not my native language !

--------------------------------------------

in system profiler, i can read this (with the VIA firewire adapter and a firewire external HD pluged in it):

of course, the firewire external disk doesn't mount on desktop, and disk utility doesn't find it.

I know this is a very old post, but just chiming in to see if you ever found a solution to this problem. I have the same motherboard and also have the same problem with a PCI VIA 6307 Firewire card (I get a "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" error message when booting with a Firewire attached disk).

The weird thing for me was that for some time I could use one of these cards to use my iSight and an Apogee Duet. Thought I could not do it for a long time, after lets say, half an hour of usage of any of these devices, I would get a kernel panic. Then it stopped recognizing any device and now it does not matter what I do, even if I leave alone the pci card and no other pci card installed, it does not recognize the devices. It powers them though for some seconds and then goodbye. The iSight, for example gets power and shows that the LED is working, and then it makes the noise that it makes when moves the lenses to focus, after that it powers down the iSight.

Weird thing.

After looking for information I have seen that there is a card called: EXSYS EX-6450 which can be found in this german reseller that I trust because I have bought some other devices from them flawlesly:

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=4;GRO...1dac15c9057d562

which is cheaper than most of the ones I have seen and which apparently works for most people. Though not for everybody. It has a TI chipset (Texas Instruments), which after my research, reading here in the Insanelymac forums, and without really testing any more hardware, I have found to be the most compatible Firewire chipset brand with Apple, because it is the brand that they had always used to built their computers till recently they changed in the new macbooks to Agere chipsets.

I am attaching to this message a PDF with the device specifications from this device.

If anyone that has a experience with this PCI Firewire card could share with us, it would be great :)

By the way the system that I use to try this hardware is based upon this hardware:

Firewire PCI Cards really tested by me:

1) Vivanco Item.no: 14051 serial number: ST03100 7 4 9, which worked for some time but gave me several kernel panics. 3 extertnal firewire 400 ports and 1 internal. CHIPSET: NEC JAPAN 072874GC/0340E3036

2) Delock 3xexternal firewire 400 and 1xinternal fw 400. Serial number: TS 07020006664. CHIPSET: NEC JAPAN 072874CG/0619L3032

And the rest of the hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945-GCM-S2L (all the drivers - ethernet and sound- can be found at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94561). Beaware that the sound driver in this thread is not as good as the one pointed below here. So for the sound keep reading. Only flaw, it does not restart. I had tried several kext for that and I just got tired of trying. Thanks to the programm Fruitmenu from Unsanity I could remove the restart option in the Apple menu.

Graphics Card: PNY Geforce 7300 GS (detected and working out of the box)

Processor: Intel Celeron E1200 at 1.6 GHz Double Core

RAM: Kingston 2 Gb

Case: Silverstone LC16M Home Theather Case (trying to learn how to configure LCDPROC to show messages from GrowlApp in the LCD). Buttons in the front side recognized, I dont know if thanks to the ControllerMate app. Volumne knob not recognized yet, but I have heard LIRC can be set up to do that.

Sound: ALC662 (drivers under development, apparently all working except mic in the front panel thanks to the post number 50 in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3460&st=40)

PSU: Tacens Radix II

Keyboards: Dinovo mini. All working like expected thanks to Controllermate app, but the media center button and the "<" and ">" buttons. Logitech flat keyboard. Again all working but the leds dont and the keys that didnt thanks to Controllermate I reprogrammed to do what I liked. This keyboard works better in Mac than in windows for me! In windows I dont know why it used to disconnect and I had to set it all up again and again, which does not under mac.

Mouse: Logitech G9. Programmed to do what I want with Controllermate, because there was no logitech software for mac.

Bluetooth: Broadcom USB adapter: Manufacturer: Broadcom. Firmware Version: 3.16384 (3.17166). Runs flawlessly.

After trying the EXSYS EX-6450, I can use Firewire but not like in a real Mac. I can use it for my Apogee Duet like normal, but not for my iSight. The iSight does not get recognized. If anyone knows the reason, help would be much apreciated.

• 2 months later...