Help: Program to "Back up" DVD's

Wayfarer247

5 posts in this topic

Alright, so I have been using a program for a long time (can't think of it off the top of my mind, because it is really 3 programs working along side each other...) which will "Back up" a DVD to my computer. And, well, it's useful, but the program, while very simple, only backs up the DVD's in a VOB format. I have been scouring the web for useful applications which will change the format, but I think it would be easiest to start from scratch.

So, my question is, what good (free preferbaly...) Software is there to take a DVD, burn it (back it up, :rolleyes: ) to my Hard Drive, in a compressed format (Such as .AVI). I want the movie to be small, (less than 1 GB, most DVD's can be put into a compressed format of around 700-800MB). Those are my criteria for the software. So, does anyone know of anything? Thank you if you can point me in the right direction, I have spent too long on this by myself.

Also, if you know of a program with the previous criteria for Leopard or Linux (Ubuntu) feel free to say that one too.

Lucaspeed, thank you. For some reason, Hand Break wasn't working in Windows, but it works beautifully in OS X. Now I juts need to find the right compression rate so the movie has good quality, but isn't 7 GB large. Lawl, Star Wars Episode III was that big. Need to rework my plan.

Thank you!