Next generation notebook CPUs and hardware

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I know this may have been brought up a couple of times, but what exactly will be the difference between chips in current macbook pros (penryn) and the ones comming in august/July? Also what current hardware problems exist for the current penryn MBPs, i.e. screen faults, wierd noises, etc? Thirdly is it worth it to wait untill August? i.e. are the changes going to extremely dramatic? Fourth question: how are the current keyboards and speakers in the MBPs? I know that the asus has 'Home Cinema' audio, is the audio on the Mbp any good? and does the keyboard ever break? Furthermore should I get the glossy 17" HD or the matte, and do people tend to find a backlight leak or discoloration with the HD screen? Lastly if a design change was to occur, what would be the main expected changes? (I doubt that it will get any thinner! -but can it? physically?) Also how much more power does a 8700m or 8800m use in comparison to the 8600m?

Sorry for asking so many questions... but this notebook is a big purchase for me!

John

If you have the " should i wait till ...." attitude, you will never buy anything,

All i know about the graphics chipsets it that the 8700 is just a stock over clocked 8600

They will probably make everything smaller, maybe not in that time frame but they will, look at the Air....

I prefer matte personally, you don't see fingerprints etc as easily!

I have bought a brand new MacBook Pro 15" (not glossy!), the entry level: Intel C2D @ 2,4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB HD, GeForce 8600M 256 MB, etc.

This is my first Mac and I am completely amazed! The design is great, the aluminum finish is great, the use is... great! It's very quiet while powerful and, compared to the use of a hackintosh, even if it's the same OS: it's much better on a real Mac!

The screen is excellent and all fonts look perfect. I was also looking for the 17" but, at the end, I feel very happy with a 15", it's more "portable" and I get the same viewable area than on my other computer's 19" LCD.

If you have the " should i wait till ...." attitude, you will never buy anything,

All i know about the graphics chipsets it that the 8700 is just a stock over clocked 8600

They will probably make everything smaller, maybe not in that time frame but they will, look at the Air....

I prefer matte personally, you don't see fingerprints etc as easily!

QFT

If you always look at what's on the horizon, it will be obsolete by the time it hits the market. In fact you could argue that even the Nehalem redesign will be obsolete as Intel is already working on another architecture. Yes your computer wont be the best on the market in six months but that is the way the industry works. IMO it's best to just buy what's current and be happy with it instead of chasing after what is unattainable at the moment. Yes it will grow obsolete but in another 3-4 years you can buy a new one.

And remember that new technology coming on the market does not make your current computer obsolete - at least not for you. If it does what you want/need it to do, just use it and enjoy.

Similarly, if you buy a new car today, in a few months or years (depending on the timing of your purchase) a new model/series will be out and you'll no longer have the "latest and greatest". But you can still get good use out of it regardless, as opposed to constantly holding out and never having anything.