Default User Folder Locations

At0mAng

4 posts in this topic

Would anyone happen to know how to move the default locations for folders such as Downloads, Music, Documents and such? I would like to have my downloads and music folder on my external drive but still be able to reach them from Finder when I am on my user folder and so OS X defaults to the new locations. I know I can go into iTunes and set the path for the music folder to be in a different spot but it doesn't change the operating systems default path...

Thanks!

2 ways:

just copy them wherever you want, then open the drive, where it is now and drag the icon into your sidebar.

copy your itunes music folder onto another hd, make an alias ( right mouse click or menu) and put the alias back into orginal music folder, same for dl ( her you have to create a subolder first).

for the finder its equal, both ways, for the apps you need either change location, where to put things or you use the alias way. newer staff will be copied to the original place, but dragged onto alias will copy them there, where you want them.

You have to define them through the programs like safari or itunes. Why does it make a difference? The OS doesnt use the music folder, itunes does. They dont do anything special, theyre just regular folders. You can move your entire itunes library and preference files by holding option and clicking on itunes, then choosing a new location for that stuff, then you can forget about the music folder forever.

The only OS thing I know of that might rely on those folders and cant be changed is Frontrow movies, but the movie folder accepts aliases anyways, so you dont actually have to have anything in the movie folder besides a few folder shortcuts.