GeForce 8600GTS, LCD Widescreen monitor

Muki Key Oot

9 posts in this topic

So I installed the following driver :

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=21

I have a GeForce 8600 GTS (desktop computer, D945GCL mobo, Core 2 Duo E4300@1.8ghz, 4GB RAM) hooked up to a widescreen monitor via DVI. I don't mind the fact that it only seems to work in analog, but I can't figure out how to set the resolution to 1280x768 to save my life. SwitchResX doesn't seem to work, and the closest I ever got to working settings was a permanent "rainbow of death".

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. (did I get the wrong driver? is there a better program for res probing?) AFAICT the card under this driver doesn't seem to be capable of corrently detecting the monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

First we need to know do does the installer give you QE/CI or are you still stuck at low resolutions cause if thats the case the most likely you dont have QE/CI supported. You also need to tell us what version of OS X your running wether is 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2 or so on and so forth. All these little details will help in getting you a better response. Hope this helps :withstupid:

I tried 10.5.2 but the Mac got stuck at the gray startup screen; rotating symbol below the apple logo didn't stop animating but it literally never loaded. As such, all the old extensions got copied back, tho I still have a backup copy of the new extensions

Relevant details in about this mac:

Core Image: Hardware Accel

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Blender runs just fine so I can report that 3D accel is in too.

I did indeed install 34.

For the EFI thing, I tried editing com.apple.Boot.plist and adding the section they mentioned with the hex string. No luck, and I'm not even sure I did it right. Do you have a link to that tutorial?

Also, the EFI trick seems to require 10.5.2 kexts. Do they mean all of them or just the ones for the video card.

Also, as a side note, I get a lot of clicking and gaps in my audio (USB Sound Blaster). Will the EFI thing fix this mess possibly?

Monitor is a hoakey Powerspec model that I don't think is sold outside of Microcenter stores. I think its screen is an LG or Philips screen tho. I get the res I need just fine in Win 'n Lin land, so it doesn't seem to be the monitor's fault. Also, DVI doesn't seem to work in DVI-D mode, but I mighta mentioned that already.